Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reinforcement cost calculations NOT correct

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Reinforcement cost calculations NOT correct Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reinforcement cost calculations NOT correct - 7/12/2017 3:32:58 PM   
brian.here@yahoo.com

I can currently produce a tactical bomber for 270 MPP's due to Level 1 technology in Production Technology. The cost to reinforce 1 strength point should be 13.5 or 13 rounded down (according to game design). The formula (rule 7.22 page 81)is as follows:

Regular Reinforcement Cost = # of strength points * (Cost of Unit/10)/2.

Therefore, my situation = 1*(270/10)/2 = 13.5.

The cost in the game shows 15. This really takes a bite out of the effectiveness of researching Production Technology.

Is this a bug?

Thank you.

Von Manstein
Post #: 1
RE: Reinforcement cost calculations NOT correct - 7/13/2017 4:47:05 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Brian,

Is it possible to double check this on your end?

The reason I ask is that Level-1 PT should reduce the cost of a Tactical Bomber from 300 to 285, and in this case a single point of reinforcement should then come out to 14. To confirm the difference on my end I ran a quick test and set PT to Level-0 and the single point of reinforcement was then 15 as you found on your end, but for me it is only when PT is at Level-0.

I tested this all with Germany just to get a quick feel for the numbers and if the formulas were being applied correctly etc.

Hubert

(in reply to brian.here@yahoo.com)
Post #: 2
RE: Reinforcement cost calculations NOT correct - 7/13/2017 8:23:37 PM   
brian.here@yahoo.com

OK - I checked it in detail and I see that it also taking into account all the upgrades on the unit. I did not realize that! My mistake.

I also just posted the other day a subject line "Failure to see Upgrade Cost Savings" and you were kind enough to reply that it was a typo in the manual and you and Bill are discussing if PT breakthroughs should result in savings for research levels on upgrades as well.

IMO - if when I reinforce a unit I am charged for all of the upgrades, but I receive my current PT Level discount on the reinforcement it would seem I should receive the PT discount on upgrades if I purchase a brand new unit.

Do you think that would be consistent? It would seem that factories have streamlined the process of those upgrades on reinforcements they should be able to do it if they are putting together a brand new unit.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Von Manstein

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 3
RE: Reinforcement cost calculations NOT correct - 7/14/2017 6:35:03 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Brian,

I had to look at the formulas again and just to put us on the same page here PT breakthroughs do apply to reinforcement the same way that they apply to a new unit. Essentially PT determines the new base cost of a unit. So a Tactical Bomber that would cost 300 MPP drops to 285 MPP with PT Level-1, and this is the new base cost that additional upgrades and reinforcements are founded on.

285 + Upgrades Cost for a new unit

285 + Upgrades Cost as the relative cost of a unit when considering reinforcement costs

Upgrades themselves are based on the original cost of a unit and while an argument could be made that they too should be discounted due to PT advances, one reason we are hesitant to make a change at this point is that much of the campaign is pretty well fine tuned and adding in PT cost reductions to upgrades will mean more available MPPs, as there would be savings over time, and this might throw off the economic balance. If we adjusted for this right from the start it would be a lot easier to ensure things don't get thrown off.

Additionally because the PT discount is applied relative the original base cost of a unit, and after the total unit cost including upgrades, it keeps things clean and unit upgrade and reinforcement costs clear and consistent as the war progresses.

For example, when we tried this in the past we had some issues with differing and shifting costs for a unit that caused confusion for players. If we were to apply PT discounts to upgrade costs, and let's say a unit was upgraded at Level-0 PT, then upgraded again at Level-1 PT later on in the war, and then upgraded again at Level-2 PT, it could conceivably have a different overall price (because upgrades were applied at different discounted rates) than a new and similarly upgraded unit at Level-2 PT. Then reinforcement costs would be different for each identically upgraded unit and most players would not understand why or even remember when one unit was upgraded versus the other as the war progresses.

The current method while a bit more simplistic, avoids this type of potential confusion.

(in reply to brian.here@yahoo.com)
Post #: 4
RE: Reinforcement cost calculations NOT correct - 7/16/2017 1:47:58 PM   
brian.here@yahoo.com

OK - sounds good to me Bill. I agree, changing it would be difficult to keep track of and it would create confusion. Let alone, the coding nightmare. Also, as you say the game is balanced now regarding MPP's.

I really appreciate you be so responsive and supportive of our questions.

Thanks for making a truly exceptional game!

Von Manstein

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Reinforcement cost calculations NOT correct Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI