Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

better than Lee?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> better than Lee? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
better than Lee? - 5/12/2003 4:45:19 AM   
wobbly

upon splitting one of my task forces i have been given a captain - if memory serves - called H.Good with the stats of skill 70 inspiration 71. Lee is only 60 65.

Is this guy better? Being a random Capt dissolving the surface group will remove my leader so I am wondering if I keep him around.

I have checked the spread sheet of leaders adn the captains aren't listed, so his other attributes are unknown.
Post #: 1
- 5/12/2003 5:32:34 AM   
Admiral_Arctic

When I am assigning leaders to TF I mentally modify the characteristics depending on the rank.

Lower than captain x0.75
captain x 1.00
rear admiral x 1.33
vice admiral x 1.5

I think there are hidden benefits for leaders for their rank. This would reward the players that assign leaders according to some historical consideration. Accountants you just look at the raw stats will be playing at a disadvantage. I have no prove of these changes, but I feel the rank must have some benefit. It is not mentioned in the rules, but is my observations and guessing.

I'm a hazard to myself.

Want. Take. Have.

(in reply to wobbly)
Post #: 2
- 5/12/2003 5:36:33 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Holy rank insignias Batman! i didn't know that :eek:

(in reply to wobbly)
Post #: 3
- 5/12/2003 5:42:20 AM   
pasternakski

Sure would be nice to know definitively. If such a modifier really exists, Matrix needs to tell us instead of keeping us guessing. It would have (or is having) a profound effect on game play and decisionmaking by the - harrumph - "theater commander," who ought to know such things.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to wobbly)
Post #: 4
We already have too much info... - 5/12/2003 10:26:13 AM   
JohnK

Even having the visible ratings may be too much.

We didn't know beforehand who would be good in combat in the actual war; we guessed.

There are some people who seemed REALLY competent but who weren't cut out for wartime command...like Ghormley.

(in reply to wobbly)
Post #: 5
My take on naval leadership - 5/12/2003 10:51:44 AM   
Drongo

Posted by Wobbly
[QUOTE]upon splitting one of my task forces i have been given a captain - if memory serves - called H.Good with the stats of skill 70 inspiration 71. Lee is only 60 65.

Is this guy better? Being a random Capt dissolving the surface group will remove my leader so I am wondering if I keep him around.
[/QUOTE]

Capt Harold H. Good - Stats -
Overall Skill 70
Inspiration 71
Surface combat 67
Administration 59
Aggressiveness 64

RADM W. Lee - Stats -
Overall Skill 60
Inspiration 65
Surface combat 83
Administration 51
Aggressiveness 71.

[B]Stats relevance to naval combat [/B] (based on the same rigid criteria as Admiral Arctic's analysis - (ie best guess)).
OVERALL SKILL - no relevance, just a rough summary of a leaders overall skill in the areas of Surface, Air, Land combat and Administration. A TF leader could have a high overall skill rating (from excellent land and air skills) but still be a dud when it comes to surface combat skill. The order in which UV allocates leaders to TFs is normally the best guide as to the leaders relevant skill for the job.
INSPIRATION - Mentioned as a relevant factor to Task Forces in the manual. Normally inspiration will influence morale (how this effects TFs, I don't know as TF morale is never mentioned).
SURFACE COMBAT - The most vital leadership stat for TF performance in surface combat. CAPT Good would not necessarily have turned up as TF leader on the basis of this skill but more likely because he commanded the ship that the AI routines decided was the TF flagship. Normally, the only way to judge the surface combat skills of CAPT is by his assesment (since that particular skill rating is only visible in the editor). In case you're wondering, none of the starting allied ship CAPTs are the equal of Lee as a naval tactician. The only allied leader who's superior in that area is Nimitz (who's not available for that role anyway).
ADMINISTRATION - influences TF fuel consumption (whoopee doo!).
AGGRESSION - Heavily influences whether a TF under that leader will engage and for how long.
RANK (OR EXPERIENCE) - The manual mentions "older more experienced officers" as being the more reliable choice. Leaders themselves do not seem to have an "experience" rating, or an age, as such. I normally judge it by RANK (refer Admiral Arctic) and whether the officer's assessment has "known to be competent" rather than "known to be promising".

Bottom line in the choice between CAPT Good and RADM Lee is that Lee's proven as very competent in surface combat (83), as well as aggressive (71) while Good would be considered promising (competent 67) and aggressive (64) with less "experience". Knowing more about what role inspiration plays in surface combat would be helpful for the comparison but I've never seen a highly inspirational leader pull of the victories that the leaders with high surface combat skill and aggression do.

IMO, there's no contest. Lee should be picked every time if you want the best TF leader for aggressiveness and surface combat skill. Leave CAPT Good in command of the New Orleans where he is better suited.

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

(in reply to wobbly)
Post #: 6
TF commanders - 5/12/2003 11:12:52 PM   
mogami

Hi, In this example H. Good was the senior ship captain in the TF.
If you do not assign a flag officer the senior ship captain commands the TF. (He is not random, look at your ships in the TF. The officer commanding the largest ship (senior if more then 2 same type ships present)(you can not assign a less senior officer to command a TF. ) Commands the TF. Flag officers points mean more then ship commanders (If the choice is between a 50 ship captain or a 50 flag officer the flag officers 50 does more)
However there are many types and sizes of TF that do not really benifit from having a flag officer command (the 3 ship SC TF)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to wobbly)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> better than Lee? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI