Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How much? Is too much.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How much? Is too much. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How much? Is too much. - 5/27/2001 7:50:00 AM   
Jack

I mostly play email, and I was hoping that the game could become a bit more realistic. What I was thinking about it is the information available to a player when you see an enemy unit. Ya I know that it dosn't tell you how many men are left in a unit. But it does tell you what type of infantry they are. And what about the AFV's. The Sherman tank for example, could you really tell what type of gun is on it 75mm or 76mm. I don't know how hard it would be to code, so that when you but your mouse over the enemy unit all it says is enemy infantry. No Bazooka team waiting for you to come one hex closer. I think you see what I mean. Even tank crew should be identified as enemy infantry. Let's face it, Combat is right up there in the stressful top ten events just under mother-inlaws visits for a months catogory. Is it doable? It sure would be nice if it was. I will leave it up to you guys as far as the AFV's go. Great game anyway! [ May 26, 2001: Message edited by: Jack ]

Post #: 1
- 5/27/2001 12:25:00 PM   
Jack

Thumbs up or down?

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 2
- 5/27/2001 4:20:00 PM   
Belisarius

Thumbs up if you ask me, Jack. A feature that makes it tougher to identify enemy units would certainly add depth and realism to the game. There are games with that feature - all enemy activity are assumed to be infantry until you get close enough to actually see them. (Or get hit enough to know what it is from the type of ammo they're using) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's Combat Mission. Anyways, it's always fun to drive your Sherms towards the unsuspecting 'infantry', just to discover that you're really facing a well dug-in PAK88 :D

Got StuG?

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 3
- 5/27/2001 6:32:00 PM   
RockinHarry

well,..thumbs up, but the only way you can do in SPWAW is to rename units. In user designed scenarios you can and will see renamed units like "IIC Firefly" simply to "Sherman" :eek:. I think something like that can provide some extra tension in the OP Fire phase. In your own (human) turn, at least you´ll have to investigate via right mouse click on enemy units. _________ Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 4
- 5/27/2001 9:17:00 PM   
Mark Ezra

Minor correction about CM...While units can be mis-identified or identified by type, they cannot be mis identifed by type. At no time will CM say an anti tank gun is infantry. As to the question at hand. I expect a difficult code problem for this poor old engine. Maybe Combat leader will offer the system.

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 5
- 5/28/2001 2:54:00 PM   
Resisti

I agree with you,and I'd add to this the fact that you can see if a vehicle is loaded and if you right click on its icon you can even read which kind of unit is loaded onboard!!! Really too much,even for the "God eyes"...

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 6
- 5/28/2001 9:59:00 PM   
Del

Yes, we receive too much information. A tank is blown up by artillery several hexes away on the other side of a hill and even though there is no line of sight we see it. This is not right. Maybe place it as a unit instead of a terrain feature so a LOS is required to reveal it. Also, if a unit is spotted and LOS is later lost the unit should disappear from sight. It does not matter if it moves or not. It should no longer be visible if there is no LOS. This would add to the Fog of War in the game. Did the unit move or is it still there? There are also the little end of turn messages concerning the other guys units that we can't see, "Infantry retreating" or some such. This should also be eliminated. Another nice thing would be to make it necessary for each individual unit to spot an enemy unit. The way it stands now, if one unit sees an enemy unit, everyone with a LOS can see it, even it they arrive at LOS later in the turn. Maybe something for Combat Leader since it would take much more coding. Or would it be that difficult?

Yea though I walk through the Valley of Death I shall fear NO evil for Thou art with me.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 7
- 5/28/2001 11:49:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

Can;t do it in SP - though we try to get some of the dynamics involved when units don;t always stay in LOS. Combat Leader will eventually have a better FOW system. We can only go so far to making an F-22 out of a P-51 - with only p-51 blueprints ;)

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 8
- 5/29/2001 4:12:00 AM   
Del

Recipe for making a P-51 into an F-22: Buy one Acme rocket. Strap to W.E. Coyote's back. Strap same Coyote to P-51's back. Light rocket. :p

Yea though I walk through the Valley of Death I shall fear NO evil for Thou art with me.

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 9
- 5/29/2001 11:19:00 AM   
Jack

Thanks for the info Paul, but I remember asking about vehicle rarity factors and someone on the forum said it could not be done. I am hoping the same logic applies here as well. ;)

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 10
- 5/29/2001 3:19:00 PM   
Reg

I think that a more generic version of unit designations for the opposition's use can only improve things. Designers have been adding a lot of atmosphere to the game by assigning historical designations to unit and I think that is great. However, when I squint through the gunsights at a group of infantry 250yds away, how would I know they are 2nd platoon of B company?? Knowing this becomes very important if C company troops suddenly appear!!! I wonder if FOW could be simply achieved by each unit having a user designation as we have now, and a second generic designation set in the OOB file that is displayed to opponents. Best of both worlds. Unfortunately I can see an (another)OOB update but it shouldn't be too traumatic. Just a suggestion, Reg.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Jack)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How much? Is too much. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI