Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sub: listening above and beneath the layer.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Sub: listening above and beneath the layer. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sub: listening above and beneath the layer. - 7/14/2018 11:02:10 PM   
JamesHunt

In submarine simulations like Dangeours Waters I was instructed to occasionally go over and under the layer in order to check both areas for sound contacts with maximum efficiency.

CMANO is the first game I know that simulates an upper and lower layer.

In order to maximize the sub´s sonar detection range simutaneoulsy for potential contacts above and beneath the layer, can I position myself between the two layer levels?

< Message edited by JamesHunt -- 7/14/2018 11:08:07 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sub: listening above and beneath the layer. - 7/15/2018 1:35:12 AM   
AndrewJ

Yes, you can manually set the sub's depth between the top and bottom of the layer by placing the desired depth slider between the light blue and dark blue indicator arrows. There is no preset button for 'inside the layer', so you'll have to monitor the situation if the layer depth changes (moving to shallower or deeper water).

Bear in mind that sonar transmission within the layer is terrible, and your ability to hear above and below while you are in the layer is also reduced. (Although, if your sub has a towed array it will droop below the layer into the very efficient deep sound channel, so you can listen into the lower water without being heard there yourself.)

(in reply to JamesHunt)
Post #: 2
RE: Sub: listening above and beneath the layer. - 7/15/2018 1:50:27 AM   
DWReese

JamesHunt,

Andrew did a great job of answering and explaining your question.

The only thing that I could do to expound on it is to say, "the layer is a great place to hide." As he said, with a towed array, you can hide in the layer, and the towed array will droop down below it. The towed array will work perfectly and will be able to pick up targets from great lengths, all while your sub remains relatively hidden within the layer. It's really cool how this is modeled.

Doug

(in reply to JamesHunt)
Post #: 3
RE: Sub: listening above and beneath the layer. - 7/15/2018 5:03:15 AM   
JamesHunt

Thanks, so for sonar detection range it is bad to stay between both layer levels and the gold standard is still ordering the sub to switch layers occasionaly when looking for contacts above and beneath the layer.

@DWReese from Dangerous Waters I know that at slow speeds you can descent the towed array beneath the layer but does CMANO model this complexity? Would be impressing.

< Message edited by JamesHunt -- 7/15/2018 5:55:09 AM >

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 4
RE: Sub: listening above and beneath the layer. - 7/15/2018 2:46:28 PM   
DWReese

Yes, it will work that way. All of those things make a difference. For example, a diesel sub, operating on batteries and going real slow, can be a real challenge to fund. By hiding just above the layer and going slow, the towed array will droop below and be able to hear things from great distanceswithout any interference.

I would suggest doing this just for fun: Place a sub in the ocean and then place various subs within (or close to) a distance where it could possibly detect the first sub. Place you first sub below, then above, then in, the layer. Use a constant speed and direction. After that, check with the second sub. Did it detect the first sub? Play it numerous times to see when the first sub is detected. Do it with several subs each with different listening equipment, each with a different depths.

This can be beneficial for you using various tactics when you play the game. Some subs are better, and some are worse. A lot depends on the two subs themselves. Some might be able to hear this, but not that. But, if you will do this, you will see that being in the layer changes things. It makes it more difficult. Being a sub driver is different than planes. Planes don't have to deal with layers. <lol>

Test it, and see what develops. It will help you. It's hard to actually go into battle without knowing what you can reasonably expect to happen.

I almost forgot. The BEST way to learn about subs, and their actions in this game, is to view the sub tutorials. They are the best! If you haven't already done this, I encourage you to check them out. Depending on your familiarity with CMANO, these can really help you to understand sub warfare, and give you a slid basis for game actions.

Doug

(in reply to JamesHunt)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Sub: listening above and beneath the layer. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI