Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1973 MidEast war US Military assessment

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> 1973 MidEast war US Military assessment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1973 MidEast war US Military assessment - 12/18/2017 4:23:11 PM   
thewood1

A great read from the Steel Beasts forum on the CIA's assessment of the military performance of the participants in the war. Includes some info on scenarios in Shifting Sands.

http://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/11688-1973-war-idf-damaged-tank-survey/?do=findComment&comment=177151

Info on air, missile, ordnance, and ship inventories
Info on some attacks with detailed results
Causes of losses
Missile expenditures
Air to air engagements
etc.

The paragraphs on employment of stand-off air-to-ground missiles was interesting. There was discussion about both US and Israeli crews using them well inside theoretical ranges in Vietnam and the MidEast.

While the assessment isn't incredibly detailed in a lot of cases, there are some very good nuggets on weapon performance and the importance of experience and training for crews. I find this assessment a little more real than some of the more public assessments I have seen.
Post #: 1
RE: 1973 MidEast war US Military assessment - 12/18/2017 4:27:40 PM   
thewood1

I forgot to point out the relative big section on ECM and pluses and minuses of the existing equipment and training. I am not sure how proficiency plays a role in ECM in Command, but it is interesting that this report commented on it being a large issue.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 2
RE: 1973 MidEast war US Military assessment - 12/18/2017 6:51:00 PM   
Gunner98

Thanks for sharing that. Only had a chance to go through the first 30 pages or so but it is a very interesting document.

Agree that the assessment is better than most, undoubtedly due to the initial classification level, and that they use up to TS material to come up with the findings. Curious on those sections that remain redacted, and that was only done in 2011.

Interesting to see the germination of tactics and equipment. Laser designators are pointed to as an emerging technology, ground based FACs etc.

Also interesting to see some American bias creeping in: Rockets are no good.. until MLRS shows up 10 years later.

I'll finish it up over the holidays - good read.

B

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 3
RE: 1973 MidEast war US Military assessment - 12/18/2017 7:04:03 PM   
Gunner98

This would make an interesting scenario:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 4
RE: 1973 MidEast war US Military assessment - 12/18/2017 8:07:26 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98
This would make an interesting scenario:

I certainly would have gone after their SAM batteries; once Ægyptian tanks left the SAM shield, the IAF did its usual good job.

The only thing that ever surprised me about that war is that: presumably armed similarly Syria did not have near the success that Ægypt did against the IDF... though my understanding is that one of the major miscalculations on Syria's part was that their T-55/T-64s were too wide to pass a key bridge while the IDF Shermans could. Even so, it did not seem like Syria's anti-tank missile teams were as effective as Ægyptian teams were.
When I read the book, it was amazing to me how many Israeli names I had learned from 1967 were killed in 1973.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> 1973 MidEast war US Military assessment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI