Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why and how are some planets named?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Why and how are some planets named? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why and how are some planets named? - 1/2/2018 5:49:09 PM   
BlindOne

I must be missing something because I can't seem to figure it out on my own but why do some planetoid bodies have names where others do not?

I have 4 planets in my solar system that are not named after my Solar System...My new test game is in the "Tythun" Solar System, but the first planet is a desert planet named Cirebno, a third continental planet named Tyn, the fourth is a Gass Giant named Jiecemof, and the last a frozen planet named Scarlet Doom. Meanwhile my own planet is named Tythun 1 eventhough it is the second planet in the solar system and the only Tythun in the list so it might as well just be Tythun... Cirebno is actually the first one but it is not named conventionally so it skips its number Would have made more sense if the planet you start on was originally named but hey what do I know right? My people prefer calling themselves Tythun One's to Tyn's I suppose. Go figure.

< Message edited by BlindOne -- 1/2/2018 5:52:27 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Why and how are some planets named? - 1/3/2018 7:19:15 PM   
rjord2021

Are you using a mod that has a built in map?

Moons will have random names generated but planets should always be named after the system they are in unless a custom map is used by the mod.

(in reply to BlindOne)
Post #: 2
RE: Why and how are some planets named? - 1/3/2018 8:16:17 PM   
Rosbjerg

That not entirely true I think, I've seen plenty of named planets (like the moon Obuda in the Psi-Polaris system etc) in randomly generated maps - I haven't noticed any pattern either and wondered why as well.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 3
RE: Why and how are some planets named? - 1/3/2018 10:04:13 PM   
BlindOne

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjord1

Are you using a mod that has a built in map?

Moons will have random names generated but planets should always be named after the system they are in unless a custom map is used by the mod.

I'm running a clean version of distant worlds.

Some planetoid bodies tend to have names while others do not and follow the regular naminng scheme. I'm just wondering where these names come from because there's not a text file as far as I am aware of that generates these.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Why and how are some planets named? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI