Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Analysis of tech levels

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Analysis of tech levels Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Analysis of tech levels - 4/3/2018 8:46:44 AM   
jjdenver

I saw sugar mention in a recent post that "logistics, prod tech, anti-tank, and rockets" are not good techs. I've invested at various points in games in all of those except rockets.

This got me wondering - what is conventional wisdom on which techs are important. Here is my understanding:

Ranked from 1 to 10 with 10 being most important

3 top tier that are 10 for every country:
Spying 10
Infantry Weapons 10
AA 10

AT 2 (sometimes this seems like more than 2 playing SU - hard to stop those panzers)
Adv Tanks 7-10 depending on country being played
Adv AC 7-10 depending on country being played
Heavy Bombers 1-6 depending on country being played (1 for Italy 6 for US and 4 for GE)
Naval Weaponry 1-5 depending on country (1 for USSR, 5 for CW/US)
Long Range AC 1-5 depending on country (1 for Italy, 5 for US)
Adv Subs 1-7 depending on country (7 for GE, 1 for US)
Arty Weapons 2-5 depending on country
Rockets 1
Ground Attk Weapons 5-10 depending on country (5 for Italy, 10 for Germany)
Mobility 2-5 depending on country (2 for Italy, 5 for US and GE starts with it)
ASW 1-10 depending on country (10 for Britain, 1 for USSR)

All of the techs on top right (c&c, inf warfare, arm warfare, aerial warfare, naval warfare, amph war) are important but it depends on which country you are playing they may range from 1 to 10 in importance), and timeliness is a factor. For example USSR probably doesn't need aerial warfare until it has the MPP to fund an air fleet and enough tech in fighters and bombers to make it worth the MPP - so maybe 1942/43.

Logistics 2-4 depending on country but at 100 mpp it's really cheap so maybe not a bad place for US/CW to throw 100?
Production tech 6-7 (I assume this decreases repair costs as well as initial build cost)
Industrial tech 6 but more important if invested in early since rewards are reaped for longer

Ok pls correct any misunderstandings/misconceptions I have. Thanks :)

< Message edited by jjdenver -- 4/3/2018 8:48:54 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Analysis of tech levels - 4/3/2018 12:17:38 PM   
Sugar

quote:

I saw sugar mention in a recent post that "logistics, prod tech, anti-tank, and rockets" are not good techs.

To adjust: I didn't rate them as not good, but to be possibly sold in the first turn in favour of more urgent spendings.

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 2
RE: Analysis of tech levels - 4/3/2018 12:21:30 PM   
Taxman66

Logistics become very important for the USSR as it determins how many HQs you can have and given the high number of units the USSR will get those HQs are needed. But it is not a priority until 1942.

With CW and US a bit less important, (particularly if your games aren't going to conclusion), but it can at least save some MPP on all the troop transports and Amphibs that are used.

I'm also finding that C&C is a lot more important and needs a higher priority.
It makes all your existing HQs a lot better. For example with the USSR, you spens 175 MPP and get 1 extra unit to put under each HQ, thats like buying a super cheap HQ. For the UK, it helps a ton with supply in the middle east, and the better value HQ helps to close the gap with German superiority.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 3
RE: Analysis of tech levels - 4/5/2018 8:37:05 PM   
ColSanders

I always found Industrial Tech to be the most important for Germany, US, USSR

I'd put that at the top

"NUTS' Brigadier General Anthony McAuliffe

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 4
RE: Analysis of tech levels - 4/6/2018 3:14:05 AM   
jjdenver

Does Industrial Tech affect MPP's from resources/cities only in your home country? Or from those held all over the map?

(in reply to ColSanders)
Post #: 5
RE: Analysis of tech levels - 4/6/2018 3:21:11 AM   
Taxman66

The value of Tech, particularly the economic ones, also depends heavily on if you are going to be playing the game until the end or until mid '43 (when the Axis have either won or decided they can't and concede).

jjdenver:
Only in your own. But that's still rather significant. It would laughable too good for Germany otherwise.
Note USA gets 20% per level, USSR & GE get 15% and everyone else (i.e. UK & IT) get 10% (though it's cheaper for them too iirc).

I'm not 100% sure, but it might compound as well.
For example at 10% and 200 (I forget the base value of UK but it's not far off 200, perhaps a touch more):
200 -> 220 -> 242 -> 268 -> 295 -> 325

< Message edited by Taxman66 -- 4/6/2018 3:28:28 AM >

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> Analysis of tech levels Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI