Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Interesting Toy?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Interesting Toy? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Interesting Toy? - 2/17/2018 4:54:46 PM   
kevinkins

Or could it one day have a military application:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw01NnG9hu0

EagleRay Experimental Cross Domain Vehicle (XAV)
Post #: 1
RE: Interesting Toy? - 2/17/2018 11:54:22 PM   
dcpollay

Doesn't seem that unique to me. It's a seaplane. It floats, and takes off from water, and flies. Today's drones do that, except they are mostly designed to take off from land. It's a little different because it is autonomous, but that's about it.

It can go underwater because it's watertight. All ships are watertight. i'm sure it will have an application at some point, but it's not anything surprising. It's just a natural progression of drone tech.

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 2
RE: Interesting Toy? - 2/18/2018 1:49:01 PM   
kevinkins

I agree that the demo is a progression in drone technology. I just never saw a submersible drone that could also fly reduced to practice. I was thinking that the approach could deliver the stealth of a sub at the speed of an aircraft. I suppose you could deliver a autonomous sub via an aircraft. But if a commander wanted to move it rapidly to another location they would have to go get it. Thinking diabolically, a flying mine or a pop-up ASM? But how much firepower could it carry?

Here is more info I found:

https://news.ncsu.edu/2018/02/fixed-wing-submarine-2018/

I doubt the kids at NCS stumbled on a game changing idea, but it's interesting to think about how it could be put to use as components get lighter and cheaper. Their technical paper states: "This vehicle concept combines the speed and range of an aircraft with the persistence, diving capabilities, and stealth of a submersible."

Here is a 2010 article that outlines the challenges:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20727671.000-from-sea-to-sky-submarines-that-fly/

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> Interesting Toy? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI