Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Snow Panic Scale

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Snow Panic Scale Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Snow Panic Scale - 1/4/2018 10:15:17 PM   
John 3rd

My wife found this delightful tidbit that strikes this Colorado man as SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true!

Enjoy and comment if you like:

Attachment (1)

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/
Post #: 1
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/4/2018 10:18:21 PM   
John 3rd

No disrespect to our SOUTHERN members...NOT!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 2
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/4/2018 10:36:57 PM   
ny59giants

Here in NE corner of Tennessee we closed schools early today (after just 2 hours due to wind chill factor in afternoon) and most are closed tomorrow. Not because of snow this time, but because the little urchins cannot stand outside at 6am for the school bus when temperature are in the single digits (F). School fear getting sued if something happens is what lifelong locals tell me.

signed,
childhood spent in upstate New York and walked about a mile to elementary school

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 3
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/4/2018 10:40:00 PM   
John 3rd

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 4
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/4/2018 11:46:31 PM   
zuluhour

Damn John, that was funny. I'm going to share this some folks.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 5
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/4/2018 11:50:04 PM   
Mark VII

Very funny and mostly true.

I'm also in the South slightly North of ny59giants near Nashville. Your scale is somewhat off, the third level is really the first. The mere prediction of snow, let alone 1 inch on the ground will result in a human wave assault on local grocery stores with milk and bread being looted first.

I grew up in the outer Chicago suburbs and also walked a ways to school. I remember a ice storm I think in 1968(I'm 12) walking to Jr High was a good half mile and we could of ice skated the ice was so thick. School was not cancelled.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/4/2018 11:57:02 PM   
geofflambert

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 7
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/5/2018 12:20:57 AM   
NigelKentarus

I live in Jacksonville, FL and work part time at a local retail store. Just the talk of snow closed the schools, shut down the government offices, and we ran out of space heaters, women's thermals, electric blankets, and men's hats & gloves. We didn't even go below freezing here.

Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 8
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/5/2018 1:26:11 AM   
Zorch

In southern California, they issue frostbite warnings if it goes below 50.

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 9
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/5/2018 1:27:11 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Here in NE corner of Tennessee we closed schools early today (after just 2 hours due to wind chill factor in afternoon) and most are closed tomorrow. Not because of snow this time, but because the little urchins cannot stand outside at 6am for the school bus when temperature are in the single digits (F). School fear getting sued if something happens is what lifelong locals tell me.

signed,
childhood spent in upstate New York and walked about a mile to elementary school

Growing up in Iowa, many rural districts would cancel school when my urban district did not. It was quite common.

There was a hard and fast rule for how cold it had to be for the urban district to cancel. If, at 5AM, the temperature was below -10' F or the wind chill below -30' F, there was no school.

Schools were cancelled around here today, and for tomorrow as well in some cases. The temperature is an issue. We only got 2 inches of snow, or thereabouts. People in these climes just don't have the necessary winter gear to deal with it and frostbite is a real risk.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 10
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/5/2018 1:42:35 AM   
Aurorus

It was 38 degrees here today (Celcius): 100 degrees, Fahrenheit.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 11
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/5/2018 5:56:56 AM   
Chris21wen

In England, the sense of doom starts with the weather forecast and that's the four day one.

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 12
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/5/2018 5:59:37 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurorus

It was 38 degrees here today (Celcius): 100 degrees, Fahrenheit.

Gonna be hotter tomorrow, still talking 43deg C.....

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Aurorus)
Post #: 13
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/5/2018 6:18:17 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

signed,

Growing up in Iowa, many rural districts would cancel school when my urban district did not. It was quite common.

There was a hard and fast rule for how cold it had to be for the urban district to cancel. If, at 5AM, the temperature was below -10' F or the wind chill below -30' F, there was no school.

Schools were cancelled around here today, and for tomorrow as well in some cases. The temperature is an issue. We only got 2 inches of snow, or thereabouts. People in these climes just don't have the necessary winter gear to deal with it and frostbite is a real risk.

Around here the rationale for school bus cancellations in rural areas during very cold conditions was that if the bus broke down or got stuck it could be a while before anyone came to rescue the kids. At that time there were no cell phones and farmers did not travel to town every day during winter. Whether the cancellation was really about caring for the kids or fear of getting sued is another discussion!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 14
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/5/2018 8:11:55 AM   
geofflambert

Roseanne Roseannadanna: What's all this I hear about global warning? I went to Catholic school and I know all about the world being round so why do I need to be warned about globes? We had a globe that fell off the teacher's desk and rolled across the floor but it wouldn't have hurt anyone if it hit them.

Jane Curtin: Roseanne, dear, it's global warming, with an M. Now, just so you know, it's always cold somewhere and warm somewhere else.

Roseanne Roseannadanna: Oh, well, never mind.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 15
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/5/2018 11:46:01 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Roseanne Roseannadanna: What's all this I hear about global warning? I went to Catholic school and I know all about the world being round so why do I need to be warned about globes? We had a globe that fell off the teacher's desk and rolled across the floor but it wouldn't have hurt anyone if it hit them.

Jane Curtin: Roseanne, dear, it's global warming, with an M. Now, just so you know, it's always cold somewhere and warm somewhere else.

"bitch".

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 16
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/5/2018 4:47:27 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

"bitch".

What warrants this epithet?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 17
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/5/2018 5:06:41 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

"bitch".

It was part of the skit. Nothing personal

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/5/2018 5:39:12 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

"bitch".

See if you can find some old clips on you-tube or someplace.

EDIT: I just remembered not all of those character's skits had that closing line, some had "never mind" so it depends on which clips you find.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 1/5/2018 5:47:31 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 19
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/5/2018 6:01:52 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

"bitch".

See if you can find some old clips on you-tube or someplace.

EDIT: I just remembered not all of those character's skits had that closing line, some had "never mind" so it depends on which clips you find.

It was funny the way Gilda said it.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 20
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/6/2018 2:22:09 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

My wife found this delightful tidbit that strikes this Colorado man as SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true!

Enjoy and comment if you like:

You left out the west. The inner-west is a lot like the Midwest. The region east of the Cascades to the Rockies get quite cold winters. We are about a mile from the only sea level opening between the interior west and coastal region between Los Angeles and the Arctic Circle. In the winter we get some bitterly cold winds.

West of the Cascades is much more exaggerated than the South. People in Portland and Seattle curl up into fetal balls as soon as the first snow flake falls.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 21
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/6/2018 3:37:04 AM   
JeffroK

Its 1535hrs, Saturday 6th, 45.6degC in the shade, who wants to send a few inches of Snow!!!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 22
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/6/2018 5:09:54 AM   
wdolson

It's 41.9 here, though on a different scale.

For those who think it's too cold, you can get some Psychological comfort converting the temperature into Kelvin. 0C = 273 K

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 23
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/6/2018 8:32:27 AM   
Orm

Schools closed because of snow?!

Attachment (1)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 24
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/6/2018 5:29:20 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Yeah, reminds me of the Adirondacks, you go by the local high school on your 'sled' to get gas and see a parking lot full of snowmobiles. Probably the kids best part of the day, getting there by 'sled'.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 25
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/6/2018 5:31:27 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffroK

Its 1535hrs, Saturday 6th, 45.6degC in the shade, who wants to send a few inches of Snow!!!

You can have all you want. Catch is there's no delivery, only cash and carry. Sorry.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 26
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/6/2018 5:33:13 PM   
rustysi

Classic John. Thanks for the post.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 27
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/10/2018 1:38:15 AM   
Will_L

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark VII

Very funny and mostly true.

I'm also in the South slightly North of ny59giants near Nashville. Your scale is somewhat off, the third level is really the first. The mere prediction of snow, let alone 1 inch on the ground will result in a human wave assault on local grocery stores with milk and bread being looted first.

I grew up in the outer Chicago suburbs and also walked a ways to school. I remember a ice storm I think in 1968(I'm 12) walking to Jr High was a good half mile and we could of ice skated the ice was so thick. School was not cancelled.

It was a few years later than '68 but I was the same age. We had an ice storm here in NYC that left about two inches of ice
everywhere, school was still open and my mother wouldn't let me stay home. It was about 3/4 of a mile to my junior high.
I walked out the front door, went down the four steps to the sidewalk on my butt, looked up at my mother at the door and said,
"I am not walking to school on this." Surprised me when she said, "Okay."

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 28
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/10/2018 7:37:51 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Closest I've come to proper snow in 10 years.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 29
RE: Snow Panic Scale - 1/10/2018 1:59:14 PM   
offenseman

I recall waiting for the school bus wearing snowmobile suits, felt lined boots, big wooley hats, scarves, like the kid in Christmas story that can't move his arms. -10 or worse with -40 or worse wind chill factors. We would stand on top of sewer grates because the air was a bit warmer. The only time they gave us a snow day was when we got 24" of snow almost over night and the entire city lost power. That happened once.
Good times!

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Snow Panic Scale Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI