Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shock and Clearing Mines

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Shock and Clearing Mines Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shock and Clearing Mines - 1/31/2021 3:37:46 AM   
canuckgamer

In the manual it says:

Units that are attacking over a terrain hexside (e.g. a gully)have No Shock.

I know about the reduction due to minefields but does the above rule apply as an example when attacking in to the hills by Tobruk? Would it be accurate to say that Shock only applies when attacking in to clear terrain and through clear terrain hexsides?

In the game I am currently playing I have had 4 engineers sitting beside enemy minefields for multiple turns without clearing any. I noticed that the graphic on the engineer looks different than what is pictured in the manual so wondering if maybe they have not been activated to clear the mines although it looks like clicking on it disables that function. Was the graphic changed in an update?

Also if an engineer is bedside multiple minefield hexsides, is there a way to choose which of the hexsides you want to attempt to clear?

Thanks, my friend and I are enjoying our PBEM game. Great design and the game kind of grows on you. Look forward to future games like Stalingrad.

Post #: 1
RE: Shock and Clearing Mines - 1/31/2021 4:49:47 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: canuckgamer

Would it be accurate to say that Shock only applies when attacking in to clear terrain and through clear terrain hexsides?

Yes.

quote:

In the game I am currently playing I have had 4 engineers sitting beside enemy minefields for multiple turns without clearing any.

Did you order these engineer units to execute a breach? They won't on their own.

quote:

Also if an engineer is bedside multiple minefield hexsides, is there a way to choose which of the hexsides you want to attempt to clear?

No.

quote:

Thanks, my friend and I are enjoying our PBEM game. Great design and the game kind of grows on you. Look forward to future games like Stalingrad.

Onwards!

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Shock and Clearing Mines - 2/2/2021 12:47:07 AM   
Deathtreader

quote:

No.

That ability to choose which mine hexside to breach would be a nice improvement!

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 3
RE: Shock and Clearing Mines - 2/2/2021 8:59:28 PM   
canuckgamer

I didn't order the engineers to breach. I was a little confused because when I clicked on an engineer the red circle with the sloped line appeared which is the opposite of what I would have expected. However after a closer look I see that a green breach symbol appears on the engineer.

Since we can't choose the hexside to breach, what happens when it breaches one of the mine hexsides and there are more adjacent to the engineer? Does it then try to breach another hexside or do I have to activate the engineer again. Being able to pick the hexside makes a lot more sense to me.

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 4
RE: Shock and Clearing Mines - 2/3/2021 2:57:59 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader

That ability to choose which mine hexside to breach would be a nice improvement!

I can't disagree. Coding it and making the idea user friendly GUI-wise might be quite the undertaking. Cost/benefit?

Post #: 5
RE: Shock and Clearing Mines - 2/3/2021 11:28:59 PM   
Deathtreader

quote:

ORIGINAL: bcgames

quote:

I can't disagree. Coding it and making the idea user friendly GUI-wise might be quite the undertaking. Cost/benefit?

Hi,

In terms of cost/benefit it would allow the player to pursue his/her operational strategy by choosing the preferred path. In areas of multiple adjacent mines not all AI determined breaches take me where I want to go. I had one game a while back where there were 3 potential breach points of which only 1 would serve my purpose. Guess which one the AI breached last out of the 3 of them and of course my brilliant masterstroke failed because the opportunity had passed by the time the stupid engineers got around to the 1 breach I needed. Canuckgamer and I can't be the only ones who have been thwarted by this sort of thing..........

AS for GUI a nice interactive popup showing the engineer's hex and all the surrounding hexes with those having mines showing the mine graphic and an instruction to click on the chosen mine hex (within the popup) to be breached.

AS for coding effort I confess I don't have a clue

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 6
RE: Shock and Clearing Mines - 2/6/2021 4:39:50 AM   
bcgames

quote:

AS for coding effort I confess I don't have a clue

Me too. St Ruth does this in his spare time and every new requirement has its own priority/difficulty that's measured against every other requirement/priority/difficulty. Sometimes all we get is the simple solution and that has to be good enough. Desert War was my favorite computer game. Stalingrad is now my favorite computer game. Sometime in the future, Desert War will once again be my favorite game.

Post #: 7
RE: Shock and Clearing Mines - 2/26/2021 11:32:06 AM   
Saint Ruth

Mine hexsides - Yeah, the problem is then then the user would have to specify which hexside to clear, making the UI more complicated. Not impossible of course, but only so many hours in the day!
/Brian

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> Shock and Clearing Mines Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI