Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

May 1st- Somewhere over the Coral Sea

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports >> May 1st- Somewhere over the Coral Sea Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
May 1st- Somewhere over the Coral Sea - 7/7/2003 7:02:50 AM   
shoopzee

[B]May 1/42 Somewhere over the Coral Sea- (1315Hrs)[/B]

The dive bomber climbed higher and higher as Vincent Ross thought to himself seated in the planes rear gunners seat, "Now this is flying!! Certainly beats the stuffy, humid interior of the that PBY to Noumea."
Ross had only been in Noumea less then 48 hours before he recieved his first major assignment for Life magazine in the South West Pacific. He was taken to an airstip, briefed, introduced to the pilot of the dive bomber he was now riding shot gun in, and off they went. They had been in the air now for close to 45 minutes, and they were over the most beautiful big blue ocean Ross had ever seen in his life. Even on the flight from Noumea the seas did not look this inviting. Perhaps it was the bright sunshine blasting down on the warm, inviting, shark infested waters. He had heard the stories of how beautiful the south seas were, but no discription did this sight justice. Especially from a small open plane like this.
"Quite a view, isin't it Sir", the Naval avaitor spoke through the intercom."I remember the first time I set eyes on it, it was my first cruise, in 39'. I'll never forget it".
"Nor will I", replied Ross. Obviously his boyish delight in the waters had been noticed by the pilot in the planes rearview mirror.

They were flying over the Coral sea, where they would meet a Carrier Task Force already at sea, consisting of the USS Lexington and the USS Yorktown, that would be the subject of Vince Ross's first story. All he had been able to find out before leaving was that the Navy had launched the task force as a show of strength in theatre; but also because it was now being wispered in high places that the Japanese may have a similar task force somehere in the South West Pacific to support a major landing somewhere. But where? Nobody seemed to know. It could be New Guinea, the Solomons, or even Australia itself. The feeling in the US Navy was the only thing that may prevent this from happening would be a strong carrier task force operating in the Coral Sea. Ready to react to any move by the enemy.
In any case, this was exactly what Ross wanted. If it resulted in a climactic battle, all the better then. Stories like this never happended in real life, not before the war. And guys like this Naval Aviator were totally different then any other military type Ross had covered in a story since the war broke out. These guys were confidence personified. It would be an honor, and one hell of a ride, covering this story. An experince never to be forgotten.

After another hour of flying, the pilots voice broke through on the intercom, "There they are sir!!". Below, thousands of feet down were the arching wakes of a Carrier Task Force pushing its way through the sea. "We are going to make our way around to an approach for a landing, I suggest you now go through the proceedure explained to you for landings", the pilot quickly said. He then added, "And just relax, if we crash, you'll probably never know what happened anyway as you will be looking backwards when we go in. Hold on, and relax, you'll be fine."
The plane came in for a smooth landing on the USS Lexington, and the plane stopped quickly once the tailhook found the deck cables to bring the plane to a complete halt. It all was over, and the deck crew climbed onto the plane to assist Vince Ross out of the craft. The pilot waved to Ross as he climbed out, and gave the reporter the standard "Thumbs Up" as he was quickly led off the flight deck, which Ross would soon be told is the most dangerous place to be on an operational carrier at sea.
The first thing that Ross now noticed onboard the 'Lex' was just how smoothly everything seemed to run. These guys were really the cream of the crop, the best of the best. The only thing that irked him was he new they had never been tested yet in battle, and when that battle came, even the best of morale and training, can be defeated by an experienced adversary. No time to think of this sort of thing he consoled himself. Too much work at hand.
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports >> May 1st- Somewhere over the Coral Sea Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI