Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cannot Install Patch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Cannot Install Patch Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cannot Install Patch - 9/18/2018 11:21:44 AM   
76mm

I recently reinstalled TOAW on my D drive, installation went fine. But now I cannot install the latest patch.

When I try to do so, I get an error message: "W: The setup cannot continue because the above drive does not exist."

Which is strange, because while I have a W drive, I am neither installing from nor to the W drive--I am trying to install to (and from) the D drive.

Please help!

[UPDATE] I remembered that I also moved my Windows "Documents" Folder to my W drive, which is on my NAS--apparently the installer is trying to install something to there, but cannot. I can access the W drive with no problem, as can the game when it is open.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 9/18/2018 11:32:03 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/18/2018 12:29:15 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Did you use the Matrix Updater or downloaded it via the FTP? Did you try installing it in admin or user mode?

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 2
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/18/2018 2:06:41 PM   
76mm

I tried both ways, same result. Tried launching the patch both as user and admin, same result.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 3
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/18/2018 3:01:36 PM   
hingram

Try moving the Documents back to C. Many of the old games are hard-coded to the C drive.

Hank

If you aren't part of the solution, there is good money to be made prolonging the problem.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 4
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/18/2018 3:15:03 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: hingram
Try moving the Documents back to C. Many of the old games are hard-coded to the C drive.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not going to do that just for this game. The game itself installed just fine, I don't see why the patch would not.

If this is the answer, it is a real disappointment for an "updated" game. What exactly are we paying for? Not really acceptable in a game sold in 2017.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 9/18/2018 3:30:17 PM >

(in reply to hingram)
Post #: 5
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/18/2018 3:18:17 PM   
76mm

So how do I get support from Matrix? I thought on this tech subforum, but if not, then how?

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 6
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/18/2018 4:43:41 PM   
Tamas

The game puts scenario files to Documents (to My Games).

The patch is looking for Documents on the C: drive I am afraid, and there is no workaround for that as far as I am aware, unfortunately.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 7
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/18/2018 4:45:35 PM   
Tamas

Alright, our tech guys are working on the workaround and we'll get you a new patch to test if it solves it.

< Message edited by Tamas -- 9/18/2018 4:49:59 PM >

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 8
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/18/2018 4:59:04 PM   
Tamas

Aaand it's ready already. :)

Please download the patch again from the Members Area. It should find your Documents folder properly now.

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 9
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/19/2018 2:06:13 AM   
76mm

Will try in the morning, that will be super cool if it works, thanks!

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 10
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/19/2018 9:00:39 AM   
76mm

hmmm, just tried it, got the exact same problem. In fact, there was a new error as well: on one of the screens, I got this message: "Error: The specified file: 'G:\Masterinstall\InstallerLicenceAgreement\Master EULA 2017.txt' could not be found." I don't have a G drive so not sure where that came from.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 11
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/19/2018 11:04:39 AM   
Tamas

Ok, thanks for trying.

There is a new update on the Members Area, please grab it once more.

This time, the patch installer will display to you what it picked up as your Documents folder (on the "Ready to install" page).

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 12
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/19/2018 2:00:50 PM   
76mm

OK, I will try a bit later. Also, I wanted to mention that while the patch is installing, it "sees" that the game is installed to the D drive and tries to install there, it just doesn't work.

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 13
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/19/2018 5:56:51 PM   
76mm

Just tried, no change, same problem. This is really getting tedious.
I downloaded from https://www.matrixgames.com/members/downloads.asp?gid=587, is it the right spot?

< Message edited by 76mm -- 9/19/2018 5:57:54 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 14
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/20/2018 12:11:55 AM   
Lobster

Not an IT guy but Windows 10 wants things done in certain ways. I've given up installing non Steam games on anything but the C: (system) drive to keep my sanity.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 15
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/20/2018 8:14:13 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster
Not an IT guy but Windows 10 wants things done in certain ways. I've given up installing non Steam games on anything but the C: (system) drive to keep my sanity.

That's how I was until I ran out of room on my C drive, and reinstalled all of my games to D. So far no problems other than this one.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 16
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/20/2018 9:40:54 AM   
Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Just tried, no change, same problem. This is really getting tedious.
I downloaded from https://www.matrixgames.com/members/downloads.asp?gid=587, is it the right spot?

Yep that's the right one. So did you see a display of what the installer read as your Documents folder? So we can see if it recognises it correctly?

I used to be an IT guy and I'd never put My Documents on a NAS or removable storage. Windows and Windows apps are just way too attached to it.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 17
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/20/2018 9:54:31 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tamas
So did you see a display of what the installer read as your Documents folder? So we can see if it recognises it correctly?

No, I don't see that...I see that the game wants to install to the D drive (where the game is installed), but nothing for the docs folder. In sequence, I get:
--a Welcome screen,
--a License Agreement screen (which displays "Error: The specified file: 'G:\Masterinstall\InstallerLicenceAgreement\Master EULA 2017.txt' could not be found."
--a serial number screen
--a Ready to Install screen, which show that it will install to the D drive,
--then an Installing screen, and immediately the W error described above.

So nothing about the Documents folder. Could I have the wrong version of the patch? I've tried downloading and installing several times, but could the link (and thus the patch) have been cached, etc?

< Message edited by 76mm -- 9/20/2018 9:55:02 AM >

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 18
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/20/2018 10:39:52 AM   
HybridSpyda

quote:

quote:

So did you see a display of what the installer read as your Documents folder? So we can see if it recognises it correctly?

No, I don't see that...I see that the game wants to install to the D drive (where the game is installed), but nothing for the docs folder. In sequence, I get:
--a Welcome screen,
--a License Agreement screen (which displays "Error: The specified file: 'G:\Masterinstall\InstallerLicenceAgreement\Master EULA 2017.txt' could not be found."
--a serial number screen
--a Ready to Install screen, which show that it will install to the D drive,
--then an Installing screen, and immediately the W error described above.

So nothing about the Documents folder. Could I have the wrong version of the patch? I've tried downloading and installing several times, but could the link (and thus the patch) have been cached, etc?

Hi 76mm,

This means that you have not downloaded the updated patch from the Members Area.
Please download the patch from the location you previously got it from and rerun the installer.

This will remove the error about the EULA not being found and display your My Documents folder location on the Ready to Install screen.

Matthew Ravenwood

QA & Operations Manager

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 19
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/20/2018 10:51:07 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: HybridSpyda
This means that you have not downloaded the updated patch from the Members Area.
Please download the patch from the location you previously got it from and rerun the installer.

Well, that's the thing--I have downloaded the updated patch from the Members Area, two or tree times. And before doing so, I've deleted the old patches, just to make sure. Something is not working right, could you please send me a link? I don't know if my members page is cached, with the wrong link, or what, but I have already downloaded from there several times with the same result.

(in reply to HybridSpyda)
Post #: 20
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/20/2018 11:44:01 AM   
Tamas

Here's the direct FTP link: ftp://4313525412143:29365243@ftp2.matrixgames.com/TheOperationalArtofWar4-UpdateComp-v4.0.1.23.zip

Also you can try hitting Ctrl+F5, that's supposed to empty your cache.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 21
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/20/2018 7:06:46 PM   
76mm

I downloaded and installed the patch again. Now it shows the location of the Documents folder, but I still get the W error...

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 22
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/21/2018 11:04:31 AM   
Tamas

quote:

I downloaded and installed the patch again. Now it shows the location of the Documents folder, but I still get the W error...

Is the location it shows the correct one?

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 23
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/21/2018 2:16:29 PM   
76mm

quote:

Is the location it shows the correct one?

Yes, it shows the W drive, and then the error message says that the W drive does not exist

The game itself access the files on the W drive with no problem.

Since the game seems to access the W drive with no problems, I have not tried disabling my anti-virus while I install, but I guess I can try that as well, what do you think?

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 24
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/21/2018 3:00:45 PM   
Tamas

I'll ask the tech guys to ponder on this a bit more but it does seem like something on your end is blocking the installer from writing on your NAS. May very well be some Windows thing rather than antivirus.

I'd recommend relocating your My Documents back to a regular drive. On the long run it may prove easier, not just because of this patch but also of future applications you might install.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 25
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/21/2018 4:08:06 PM   
zakblood

as it's already been mentioned, except my advice is clear some space on the main or a secondary internal fixed device and don't use backup, external or NAS drives for anything other than data, games aren't classed as data either

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/xiz/2013/11/03/how-to-remove-phantomghost-devices/

whiles is possible and easy to do, eg moving a data folder like mydocs to anywhere, M/S doesn't recommend moving it to anywhere other than a fixed device, eg a permanent drive, a NAS or backup drive isn't permanent if it can be unplugged or powered down differently than the main system drive,...

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/moving-your-personal-data-folders-in-windows-vista-the-easy-way/

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-move-your-default-data-folders-to-a-different-drive/

Most consumer NAS drives have very slow CPUs cycles and lack dedicated RAM, which also won't do you any favors long term regarding access to games access, plus as you have already found out, unless you map the drive to permanently use the same letter and make sure no other device which randomly plugs in can use it once the NAS is offline or disconnected, any data or game installed on the NAS can or could have an issue if needed to be upgraded or patched etc.

so unless you have money to burn and have a top end NAS, just buy a bigger main drive, which will work,.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/my-120tb-nas-is-faster-than-an-ssd/

< Message edited by zakblood -- 9/21/2018 4:18:18 PM >

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 26
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/21/2018 7:01:12 PM   
76mm

To be clear, I am not intalling games to a NAS--I had to re-install all of my games on my D drive--a fixed drive on my main computer--because my C drive was almost out of space. The only thing on my NAS is the Documents folder, which most games and other applications do not use, and I'm not sure why this game and a few others do so.

In any event, so far I've had no problem with any other games or other applications, including those which write to the Documents folder.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 9/21/2018 7:03:14 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 27
RE: Cannot Install Patch - 9/21/2018 7:58:16 PM   
zakblood

as already mentioned above, the answer already given, move the doc folder back onto a fixed drive D, then it will work as long as the permissions and registry isn't corrupt.

C is always for windows
D is either data or a cd or dvd drive with any other letter being for anything else.

NAS is for backup and storage but not for Documents folder moving as it's not a fixed device.

when you moved the Documents folder, did you also setup offline availability on the move and on the NAS?

either way it's worth a try, but then again M/S says it's not recommended and not a supported feature of windows either, eg no readme's on how to, or advice offered on how to, so options are none tbh regarding asking them,...

best advice and my opinion is ask on the NAS support forum and see if they have more advice or any different from what's offered, if anyone knows, they may, but for now i'd move back and take the recommend advice that works.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> Cannot Install Patch Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI