Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sea Lion or not Sea Lion.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Sea Lion or not Sea Lion. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sea Lion or not Sea Lion. - 10/22/2018 6:17:39 PM   
ivanov

The benefits of capturing the British Isles are huge for the Axis player, but the invasion is notoriously difficult and risky, mostly due to the supply problems, during the first turns after the initial landings. So I wanted to get the players opinions - is the invasion worth it? If, so what are your tips for a successful invasion? As mentioned above, to me the main problem is the supply of the invading forces. The British player can bomb the bridgehead with the strat bombers or with the navy. Anybody was successful against a skilled human oponent?

Lest we forget.
Post #: 1
RE: Sea Lion or not Sea Lion. - 10/22/2018 6:34:57 PM   
Goodmongo

I usually save it for last when I do the bomber/para on London option.

(in reply to ivanov)
Post #: 2
RE: Sea Lion or not Sea Lion. - 10/22/2018 7:53:52 PM   
Ktonos

In my opinion:

You must always faint a Sea Lion. The longest the opponent believes a Sea Lion is possible, the longest the delay reinforcing the Mediterranean. Just having your paras on the Northern France ports along with a couple of air units are enough to give the impression that a Sea Lion is possible.

I only go for a Sea Lion if British presence in Mediterranean and Egypt is overwhelming. If it seems that most of the UK fleet is there, and Britain comes in force to take Torbruk with lets say 4-5 infantry and heavy air support, it's easy to assume that England has maxiimum 1-2 corps, 1-2 garrisons, 1 fighter, and maybe 1 antiair.

(in reply to Goodmongo)
Post #: 3
RE: Sea Lion or not Sea Lion. - 10/23/2018 12:31:34 AM   
ivanov

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ktonos

In my opinion:

You must always faint a Sea Lion. The longest the opponent believes a Sea Lion is possible, the longest the delay reinforcing the Mediterranean. Just having your paras on the Northern France ports along with a couple of air units are enough to give the impression that a Sea Lion is possible.

I only go for a Sea Lion if British presence in Mediterranean and Egypt is overwhelming. If it seems that most of the UK fleet is there, and Britain comes in force to take Torbruk with lets say 4-5 infantry and heavy air support, it's easy to assume that England has maxiimum 1-2 corps, 1-2 garrisons, 1 fighter, and maybe 1 antiair.

So from what you're saying, I understand that it's not really worth to try the actual invasion?

Lest we forget.

(in reply to Ktonos)
Post #: 4
RE: Sea Lion or not Sea Lion. - 10/23/2018 2:20:14 AM   
Ktonos

I didn't say that. I just said that in my opinion the invasion is worth it only if Allies overcommit in mediterranean. Provided you spot such overcommitment early on.
Lets say you just conquered France, and the bulk of the German units are there. Italy joins the war and next thing you know is having several English corps in your face rushing towards Tobruk. This might be time to consider sea lion. You spot the BEF amongst the advancing English? Or even better, you spot two English HQs? That means 99% no HQ in England. Not doing Sea Lion in that case is a missed opportunity to make yourself a big favorite to win the match.

(in reply to ivanov)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Sea Lion or not Sea Lion. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI