Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ground combat vs WitE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Ground combat vs WitE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ground combat vs WitE - 11/4/2018 11:55:44 PM   
Rosseau

I have a pretty solid understanding of WitE and the editor (vs the AI). It's only been eight years

Anyway, besides the obvious invasions, has ground combat changed so I'm starting from zero again? I know the living manual is helpful, and again, playing against the AI, I don't need to squeeze every advantage out of the system.

And yes, would spend $80 again. The patching alone for both games has been extraordinary.
Post #: 1
RE: Ground combat vs WitE - 11/5/2018 5:30:17 AM   
zakblood

there is a learning curve, as air power is a game in it self, then you can let the AI do it at the start, then again depending on terrain chosen in the campaign as well, it's not so different, really depends on which side your playing, as some if wanting a harder challenge will go for the Axis and be on the back foot, where as the Allies have it mostly there own way if played correctly, for me i prefer this to WITE, it's somewhat easier and imo better, so each to there own

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 2
RE: Ground combat vs WitE - 11/5/2018 8:16:11 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau

Anyway, besides the obvious invasions, has ground combat changed so I'm starting from zero again? I know the living manual is helpful, and again, playing against the AI, I don't need to squeeze every advantage out of the system.

The core system is much the same, but with some differences. One is that size matters a lot more. So as an eg, a very strong well dug in brigade will struggle to hold off a multi-divisional attack regardless of the notional cv. This has implications especially in the Italian campaign where an apparently unshiftable German defense can be dislodged despite the apparent cv position.

An advantage is far more information for those battles when you really want to understand what happened. So you can see what weapon systems did the damage and equally what is vulnerable and so on.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 3
RE: Ground combat vs WitE - 11/6/2018 10:07:52 PM   
LiquidSky

A mountain regiment dug into the mountain hex can show an extraordinary high CV value. But CV in the game is not 'Combat Strength'. It only represents the units ability to hold or take ground.

Now granted, that number is generated from the combat elements of the unit...but CV does no actual fighting itself.

When you launch an attack...it is elements vrs elements. The battle starts at range...and goes through steps as the range shortens until the battle is either called off. All the elements that can fire at that range will do so.

So when your lone regiment on the hill is attacked by 6 divisions......the regiment has very little ability to 'adjust' the attackers CV (through disable/damage/eliminate) whereas the divisions. Well..they have a lot of stuff and very little to shoot at. So that massive defender CV drops quickly...

Also....a mountain regiment has almost no capability to deal with afv's. So even though a tank division will suffer penalities to CV...that CV will not be dropped any further by combat. Whereas the guns of the afv's will do a lot of dropping of the regiments CV.

And in the end, you will have lost maybe 1000 guys out of 6 divisions...where they have lost 800 guys out of one regiment. Barely a scratch for you, and devestating losses for the regiment...so even if you don't take the hex, that unit will not be able to stand a second attack.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Ground combat vs WitE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI