Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Not asked for awhile so..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Not asked for awhile so.. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Not asked for awhile so.. - 11/14/2018 7:32:29 PM   
wodin

How is land combat these days?

Is it possible to make a Vietnam heli insertion mission have troops dropped off then do search and destroy then pick up at end of patrol, maybe bring in support like arty /air strike or heli attack when requested and say medevac etc?

Been reading Vietnam books again recently like the superb Steel my soldiers hearts by D Hackworth

< Message edited by wodin -- 11/14/2018 7:34:01 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Not asked for awhile so.. - 11/14/2018 8:29:18 PM   
Gunner98

The cargo module in the Chains of War DLC works well for the insertion and pick-up

Land combat per-say hasn't changed so it is still terrain agnostic and somewhat simplistic

But what you're asking about can be done, but the focus should be on the insertion/extraction and bringing in support,

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Not asked for awhile so.. - 11/15/2018 9:57:09 AM   
SakiNoE

Pretty much what Gunner said, insertion and pick-ups work much better then pre-Chains of War however the actual land unit combat itself is still, well, sub-par vs the rest of the sim [I mean it is not called CMANLO anyway]. With regards to Vietnam specifically, a scenario that could work could be say "Clear area X and then insert elements of the 25th Infantry Division by helicopter".

Hope this was of use!

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 3
RE: Not asked for awhile so.. - 11/15/2018 2:25:06 PM   
kevinkins

As we stand today, insertion and pick-ups would offer some cool challenges as part of a larger scenario. Say ~25% of the points needed for a victory would be gained from a successful search and destroy mission. The bulk of the points gained by other means.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to SakiNoE)
Post #: 4
RE: Not asked for awhile so.. - 11/17/2018 2:26:35 PM   
wodin

For me even if the search and destroy bit was pretty much hands off as they follow their route but you come into play maybe blasting prospective LZ area, then would inserting r going f Neil and air strike fire support, then AI starts u going land units through patrol route during why check they may call you to give gunship and all strike fire support available n or called to do medvacs finally end of route you go back n and pick up again Guv by any fire support if needed. Maybe player has a few patrols out and about you you have to manage all air support aspacts for them. The actual land vs land combat could just be abstracted

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Not asked for awhile so.. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI