Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Armor Penetration Tables.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Armor Penetration Tables. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Armor Penetration Tables. - 5/15/2000 2:39:00 AM   
Moonpie

Couple of questions for the SP vets. The armor penetration table. What does it mean when at range 10 = 25 on the table? I checked the docs, but no specific explaination exists. 25 what? Is that a 25% hit? If so, how do I calculate the percentage chance for an actual penetration. Is the number above, the penetration value? If so, how does armor thickness play a role. Anybody, please explain the table to me. THanks for your patience. Also as a side note. How can I create a quick battle with as little as 200 points without having to design a whole scenario?

Post #: 1
- 5/15/2000 3:31:00 AM   
joblue

In the preferences screen, assign the number of points available to '200" (thats the lowest). You can find this preference in the right hand column joblue

(in reply to Moonpie)
Post #: 2
- 5/15/2000 3:38:00 AM   
Voriax

quote:

Originally posted by Moonpie: Couple of questions for the SP vets. The armor penetration table. What does it mean when at range 10 = 25 on the table? I checked the docs, but no specific explaination exists.
Those figures in the penetration table mean how thick armour the gun will penetrate at a given range. So the above reads 10 hex = 25mm max penetration. (in theory, there is that random factor) The main purpose of that table is to depress you Especially when you are assaulting French in 1940 as Germans and compare the front armour of a S-35 (around 80) and the penetration of the 37 mm gun of the Pz-III (around 50, point blank)
quote:

25 what? Is that a 25% hit? If so, how do I calculate the percentage chance for an actual penetration. Is the number above, the penetration value? If so, how does armor thickness play a role.
You can approximate the armour penetration, just take the distance and the compare it to the table..I dunno if it goes linear or not but those figures are just a guide to help you _approximate_ how big chances of penetration there are. Remember that sometimes it can be worthwhile to shoot even though you cannot penetrate, especially now when you can destroy equipment. Voriax [This message has been edited by Voriax (edited 05-14-2000).]

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Moonpie)
Post #: 3
- 5/15/2000 4:27:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

When your hit chances are good, you often can be effective even with out penetraating if you get lucky! In a game I just played, 2 KV-1's were hit by Pak 40 and damage was slight, but my crummy crews bailed out and headed for the hills. The combat system is meant to be much more incremental than before. Good tanks with poor crews are not invulnerable, a solid WHACK and the crew does not check for light leaks, but just boils out and runs for it :-) Again it is important to get units under fire initially, the first few points of suppression have the biggest effect, after tha it tends to trail off. If you have 3 infantry coming at you. better to initially spread fire against all of them, then concentrate on one to try to get casualties, if you think you are getting overwhelmed, suppressive fires can "break up " an attack that trying to eliminate unit by unit will be hopeless.

(in reply to Moonpie)
Post #: 4
- 5/15/2000 5:39:00 AM   
Moonpie

Thanks Voriax. Just so happens I was playing a 1940 German assault against the French when the question came up! I had to go to 0 range and even then it was lucky I got the kills I did.

(in reply to Moonpie)
Post #: 5
- 5/15/2000 5:40:00 AM   
Moonpie

Thanks for the info Joblue and Paul.

(in reply to Moonpie)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Armor Penetration Tables. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI