Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards - 1/30/2019 6:23:00 PM   
jack54

The recent tendency to list a specific graphic card for minimum requirement is making me nuts. Now I find myself going to 'hardware comparison' sites and then trying to decipher the various graphs. I can accept that my my 6 yr old computer will not play graphically intense games as upgrading the GPU is not an option for now. (I was looking at a Gtx 1050 3 GB upgrade for about $200).

I miss the good old days when all you needed to know was how many MB you needed (yes MB lol)

I remember when Ageod went from 512 MB to 1 GB min; I asked the developer on the forum what changed and they said 'well we figured you couldn't buy a card lower than that now'

BSG Deadlock says 1GB NVIDIA Geforce 460/ATI Radeon HD 5770 or better

The older 460 blows away my 1GB GeForce GTX 650 while the Radeon doesn't. which in my mind means a 460 is not minimum. Anyway, Deadlock is running fine so far; have to see larger battles.

I would love to pick up a Battletech game but that says, GTX 560 ti minimum. Graphs comparisions are not close...

Just venting

< Message edited by jack54 -- 1/30/2019 7:00:31 PM >

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Post #: 1
RE: Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards - 1/30/2019 8:44:50 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

There are often specific performance or compatibility issues with some cards, especially those which happen to come at the crux of new developments or versions of (e.g.) DirectX. Rather than risk people not being able to play the game often the specs err on the side of safety. As an example we tend to try and make our games run on anything, but that comes with the cost of people asking why their super-low-end video card can't run the game at 1080p. Sometimes the cost of lost players is less than trying to handle the tech support requests.

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 2
RE: Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards - 1/31/2019 12:16:43 AM   
Toby42

You upgrade to a better video card and find out your power supply is not big enough to run it?

Tony

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 3
RE: Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards - 1/31/2019 3:34:42 AM   
Lobster

Always stick in a bigger power supply than what you need. You never know.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 4
RE: Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards - 1/31/2019 10:30:39 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Yes. Power supplies tend to degrade over time.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 5
RE: Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards - 1/31/2019 11:29:54 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Have a 1200 watt one myself. And an MSI RX480 8gig video card.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 6
RE: Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards - 1/31/2019 11:37:26 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: jack54

The recent tendency to list a specific graphic card for minimum requirement is making me nuts. Now I find myself going to 'hardware comparison' sites and then trying to decipher the various graphs. I can accept that my my 6 yr old computer will not play graphically intense games as upgrading the GPU is not an option for now. (I was looking at a Gtx 1050 3 GB upgrade for about $200).

I miss the good old days when all you needed to know was how many MB you needed (yes MB lol)

I remember when Ageod went from 512 MB to 1 GB min; I asked the developer on the forum what changed and they said 'well we figured you couldn't buy a card lower than that now'

BSG Deadlock says 1GB NVIDIA Geforce 460/ATI Radeon HD 5770 or better

The older 460 blows away my 1GB GeForce GTX 650 while the Radeon doesn't. which in my mind means a 460 is not minimum. Anyway, Deadlock is running fine so far; have to see larger battles.

I would love to pick up a Battletech game but that says, GTX 560 ti minimum. Graphs comparisions are not close...

Just venting

Try this: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/ Just tried it to see if I can run the upcoming Mortal Kombat 11. (Yes I can)

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 7
RE: Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards - 1/31/2019 3:11:01 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: jack54

Just venting

On this machine I've got GTX 580. Runs all the games I have thrown at it including BattleTech, Doom (2016), and Project Cars 2 (2017). With that said, my preference is to play those games on my newest computer with Core i7-7700, GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB of RAM, and SSD. That computer just happens to be in my brother's house where is a sizable room to move around with VR set. Reason for stated hardware requirements being what they are is because the games have been tested with that hardware and not the older ones.

In your case you could MAYBE get BattleTech to work with reduced resolution and visuals. You can look up used hardware, it cost less. If you still can't afford upgrade anytime soon, then it is better to save that money for the games that are more certain to work. Or save money for newer hardware and get games that cost nothing. To scratch BattleTech itch, I highly recommend MegaMek and MekHQ. You'll need at least Total Warfare rule book to play them though, and PDF version is available at least on DriveThruRPG for $14.99

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to jack54)
Post #: 8
RE: Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards - 1/31/2019 6:51:12 PM   
Mobeer

Part of the problem is that users differ - 30 frames per second at low settings at 1080p might be acceptable to one person and useless to another. It's easier just to say that such a graphics card is unsupported than to face criticsm for "failing to optimise", which seems to be becoming more and more common a critique in reviews.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 9
RE: Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards - 1/31/2019 11:55:36 PM   
jack54

I'd like to thank everyone for the responses. A lot of good information.

Still thinking about a GTX 1050 not much more power usage compared to my current gpu but will probably wait; I can still run plenty of games.

Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 10
RE: Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards - 2/4/2019 6:29:24 AM   
AndreyBailey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Friend, you have MSI RX480 graphic card but I'm a little bit confused about graphics card hope you can help me out about it.
I want to know about which graphics card is best for gaming AMD Radeon or Nvidia Geforce?

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 11
RE: Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards - 2/4/2019 10:31:39 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndreyBailey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Friend, you have MSI RX480 graphic card but I'm a little bit confused about graphics card hope you can help me out about it.
I want to know about which graphics card is best for gaming AMD Radeon or Nvidia Geforce?

That isn't an east one to answer. Here is one take on it: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3244221/msi-gtx-1060-6gb-msi-480-8gb.html

And another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poqfRkPeSNY

Keep in mind, I've owned it since 2016.

(in reply to AndreyBailey)
Post #: 12
RE: Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards - 2/4/2019 5:01:36 PM   
Kuokkanen

GeForce is more popular and likely better supported by games.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Minimum System Requirments with specific Graphic cards Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI