Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Battle of Palmdale, 1956

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> The Battle of Palmdale, 1956 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Battle of Palmdale, 1956 - 5/5/2019 6:44:41 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Hello all,

I've done what I thought I would never try again and that is make my own scenario.

This is what I would classify as a 'Historical Recreation' scenario, based on the classifications in my Steam Guide.

It is an attempted recreation of the 'Battle' of Palmdale in 1956 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Palmdale

Two F-89Ds vs One runaway F6F-5K Drone!

I post it here as a beta to test. It's a pretty simple scenario. Is it possible to beat? I don't know, haha

Depending on your feedback I may make some changes, but whether it is easy or hard isn't really the point, after all, the real pilots couldn't stop the drone!

EDIT: 2nd upload with scoring fix

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 5/5/2019 9:21:05 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The Battle of Palmdale, 1956 - 5/5/2019 8:32:35 PM   
PN79

Hello,
Thanks for 1950s mission. It is possible to win, final ph 4 % and dice roll 2 so target destroyed.

Technical remarks:
- At the start of the mission there was some warning about wrong no-nav zone.
- There is no ground radar to track the target so I was searching with both fighters until one of them has spotted target visually. Was this on purpose?

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 2
RE: The Battle of Palmdale, 1956 - 5/5/2019 8:55:01 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: PN79

Hello,
Thanks for 1950s mission. It is possible to win, final ph 4 % and dice roll 2 so target destroyed.

Technical remarks:
- At the start of the mission there was some warning about wrong no-nav zone.
- There is no ground radar to track the target so I was searching with both fighters until one of them has spotted target visually. Was this on purpose?

For the no-nav zone warning, i'm not sure how to fix that. For the flight path for the drone, I used a support mission with linked reference points. I think the system still thinks of it in the sense of an area rather than a path. I tried to recreate the actual path of the drone during the incident.

I didn't add ground radar as I don't remember there being any mention of it in the accounts of the actual event. The F-89s do have radar, but it seems you have to be at a similar altitude to the drone (drone flies at 30,000ft)

< Message edited by HalfLifeExpert -- 5/5/2019 8:56:37 PM >

(in reply to PN79)
Post #: 3
RE: The Battle of Palmdale, 1956 - 5/5/2019 9:06:07 PM   
mikkey

Thanks for nice small scenario that contains a solution of the interesting incident. Scenario works well and I noticed only that the score evaluation (Triumph, Average...) is not set (just click on the Editor -> Edit Scoring) and also that the scenario is not finished after the successful drone destruction. Thanks.

Post #: 4
RE: The Battle of Palmdale, 1956 - 5/5/2019 9:22:11 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikkey

Thanks for nice small scenario that contains a solution of the interesting incident. Scenario works well and I noticed only that the score evaluation (Triumph, Average...) is not set (just click on the Editor -> Edit Scoring) and also that the scenario is not finished after the successful drone destruction. Thanks.

I've fixed it so that the scenario ends with 'triumph' upon the drone being destroyed. New version is in OP.

Still don't know what to do about pointless area validation warning though.

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 5
RE: The Battle of Palmdale, 1956 - 5/5/2019 9:36:07 PM   
mikkey

Thanks for update, now it works okay.
I also noticed at the start of the scenario information about invalid drone path, but I assume that it does not affect the overall drone route. This is probably due to the crossing of the flight path and its zigzag profile.

Post #: 6
RE: The Battle of Palmdale, 1956 - 5/5/2019 9:37:49 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikkey

Thanks for update, now it works okay.
I also noticed at the start of the scenario information about invalid drone path, but I assume that it does not affect the overall drone route. This is probably due to the crossing of the flight path and its zigzag profile.

Yes I think so, should I just leave it there and leave a note about it in the scenario description?

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 7
RE: The Battle of Palmdale, 1956 - 5/6/2019 8:47:25 PM   
mikkey

I think it's okay. I tried it several times and the Hellcat always flies through designed route (even after the "crash" lands at the Point Mugu).

Post #: 8
RE: The Battle of Palmdale, 1956 - 5/28/2019 10:02:06 PM   
kevinkins

Thanks. Solved it the first time through but was lucky. Makes me think we might have an informal contest with tiny historical scenarios that are cool to play. Researching them will be half the fun of putting them together.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 9
RE: The Battle of Palmdale, 1956 - 5/30/2019 1:14:51 AM   
gregb41352

+1

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> The Battle of Palmdale, 1956 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI