Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/18/2019 3:47:09 PM   
YorStein

If all things go as planed , i can and will post the first Few Turns from the German Side.
See ya all in a few days or a Week
Post #: 1
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/18/2019 8:19:49 PM   
YorStein

The Post will come with a 12-18 Turn Delay which translates to 6 to 9 Months in ingame Time

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 2
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/18/2019 11:19:44 PM   
MC456

Good luck, and may the best man win!

I was preparing screenshots of the action and typing up my report while playing through my turn, so I have the Turn 1 AAR ready to post once we get to that 12 turn mark.

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 3
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/19/2019 10:59:30 AM   
YorStein

i got the Feeling that his Match will not last until 1939 ^^
At least if keep Losing units at this speed there wont be anything left by Nov 38 , if i only had Tigers or a few Stugs :)

(in reply to MC456)
Post #: 4
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/21/2019 1:27:03 AM   
Bombur

I´m happy to see someone is interested in this scenario. Who is your enemy?

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 5
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/21/2019 1:30:30 AM   
Bombur

The Soviet tanks are weak, and their air force will soon be unable to fight the Germans. I lost to Ned in about 40 turns (late 1939).I think this scenario offers a good game experience, however, a player that fights with manually created units will have some advantage over those who choose historical TOE.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 6
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/21/2019 3:05:30 PM   
YorStein

MC456 is my enemy , also i think the supplies are somewhat problematic . I realy have problems building replacements while creating new Formation is not option at all . And i think he fairs not much better if not much worse ... though i understand if you have an Standing Army of 9000 units or 12000 then this level of Supplie consume is probaly logical.
If i am not mistaken the 2nd Civil War scenario is also from you , in that one you have way more room to keep your standing Army in the field while also Creating new Formations .

As stated , we both will start posting comments and screenshots of the game ones we hit turn 12(so we have 12 Turns delay so there is not so much intel for the Opponent ^^) (we are at turn 4 right now and we will hopefully hit turn 12 on 31.05 or 1.06)

One last thing , this for both of us the first Multiplayer Match , dont expect Hannibal or Ceaser level skill ;)

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 7
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/21/2019 9:54:18 PM   
Bombur

Yes, supplies are meant to be scarce, however, you can use your factories to build supplies or to allow you to produce more supply in your cities. You also import some.

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 8
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/21/2019 11:56:01 PM   
MC456

Yeah starting the game with a fully equipped army will naturally have a high supply budget per turn. Unit production definitely gets scaled way back until you start taking casualties.

Despite being our first Player vs Player game, I think we're doing pretty well. :)

Great scenario, by the way. Having a blast with this one. Definitely see what you mean about the Soviet tanks being weak in comparison to the German counterparts though. Those Panzers are crazy scary. And full strength Panzer divisions are the stuff of nightmares...

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 9
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/22/2019 12:31:01 AM   
Bombur

If you survive to the end of 1939, you start to get the KV-1´s, by mid 1940 you also get the T-34, they will give you superiority until the PzIVG arrives (1942). You can try to import tanks (don´t remember you can import hardware). However, your import budget is limited and you want to get some Spitifires I. The T-28 is a decent tank against the early Pz-III´s and Pz IV´s. Latter it will become outdated.

(in reply to MC456)
Post #: 10
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/22/2019 1:37:57 AM   
MC456

Do those units unlock automatically over time, or do we have to research it when it comes to it?

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 11
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/23/2019 1:47:44 AM   
Bombur

They are unlocked automatically, but you still can research some "what is if" items.

(in reply to MC456)
Post #: 12
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/30/2019 8:14:13 PM   
MC456

TURN 1 - RED ARMY

Noticing a weak spot around the center of the map, I have 3 Artillery units concentrate bombardment onto a threatening Panzer Division that would shred my infantry by the next turn and dive deep into my lines. I manage to destroy a few tanks and several infantry squads, and severely drop the readiness of his units. Next I launch an attack onto this weakened hex, picking off a few more tanks and routing them. After the victory, the attacking units occupy that hex and immediatly launch an attack onto an unprotected airfield, destroying all air units stationed there. A great start so far!

Along the north side of the map are fortifications, each side nesting with well entrenched infantry. I decide not to waste the lives of my men, but use my artillery units to lay down some barrages along the fortified corridor, in an attempt to drop their readiness and pick off as many kills as I can, to dissuade my enemy from launching any coordinated attacks of his own.

I seize a couple more opportunities around the mid section of the map and manage to gain some territory after bombarding his weakest spot and coordinating assaults from 3 angles.

The south proves to be a situation similar to the north, except instead of a column of fortifications it's a river line. I commence artillery bombardment and advance where I can to ensure I have my infantry guarding the full length of the river on my side.

As far as my airforce goes, I launched a grouped airstrike against an enemy airfield position in the south, killing most of his men and leaving the rest in a battered position. Though he did manage to take out about 4 of my planes during the process. I had one Motorized Infantry division with enough AP to follow up with an assault, and I managed to kill the remaining soldiers as well as destroy any air units left on that hex.

Before ending my turn I set the Intercept Readiness limits of my fighters, remap most of my production facilities to feed my Supreme HQ, and set my production to match the TOE Division builds that came with the scenario, in order to effectively reinforce existing units. While I don't suspect my foe will be cheeky enough to try amphibious invasions or paradropping troops behind my lines, I also don't want to underestimate him; therefore, I am keeping reserve divisions where they are just to be on the safe side.

I managed to do a hell of a lot of damage on my turn, but I can only imagine what he's going to pull of with his counter attacks.

< Message edited by MC456 -- 5/30/2019 8:15:19 PM >

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 13
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/30/2019 11:28:29 PM   
Bombur

Any data on 1st turn losses?

(in reply to MC456)
Post #: 14
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/31/2019 3:08:17 AM   
MC456

Hmm didn't take a screenshot of that, but when I get my turn (probably tomorrow) I will check the graphs. He suffered pretty substantial losses though. Enough to make a man want to cry

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 15
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/31/2019 4:13:31 PM   
YorStein

Turn One
Blue Army
Report : Grim

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YorStein -- 5/31/2019 4:15:09 PM >

(in reply to MC456)
Post #: 16
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/31/2019 4:17:43 PM   
YorStein

Army Group North

Attachment (1)

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 17
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/31/2019 4:19:03 PM   
YorStein

Army Group Center

Attachment (1)

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 18
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/31/2019 4:20:37 PM   
YorStein

Army Group South

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YorStein -- 5/31/2019 4:21:27 PM >

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 19
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 5/31/2019 4:23:44 PM   
YorStein

Operational Outlook :
We took some losses though the size of our Industry and Army should mean that we can afford it for the time being , priority will be given to the creation of an Elite Tank Force.

Activ Report:
Some counterattacks where made but nothing major , cutting the Reds back where we can and maintaing a good Defensiv Line while moving reserves

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 20
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 6/1/2019 9:35:44 PM   
MC456

TURN 2 - RED ARMY

The Germans fired off with their counter-attack. The Red Soldiers managed to hold them off in some areas, but got run down in others. One German plane managed to get intercepted and shot down, but the rest of them managed to sneak away after their runs.

In the north I continued with my previous strategy of keeping most of my men entrenched while softening up the Germans with my own artillery. As a result of the bombardments, a couple of the fortifications were left very vulnerable. I managed to break through and assault another airfield, destroying several more German planes, and just a bit further south my men managed to catch German artillery left undefended after routing the former defending units.

Around the center I managed to break through a couple more hexes and assault vulnerable artillery units, just like in the north. Picking apart my opponent's support units (airforce and artillery) is my primary strategy at the moment, considering the Red Army is comprised mostly of Infantry which are quite vulnerable to mass artillery fire. There are plenty of great defensive positions on this map which will give my Infantry a lot more value, as long as I can bait my opponent into hitting me at my strongest points.

Along the South I continue with the standard artillery bombardments. I notice on one of the hexes that his units have been crippled, with some of the defenders left at 0 Readiness. Despite the fact that I would be attacking over the river line and suffer some penalties, I knew that I would still win the engagement and mop up the rest of his units. Any chance I can get free kills on high value targets such as artillery or armour, I will gladly take it. After winning that battle I keep my men behind the river rather than order a pursuit. I want to avoid giving my opponent any chance to surround me. Before ending the combat portion of my turn I launch a coordinated airstrike to further weaken a key position in the battle for the south.

On the open sea I used one Submarine unit to scout an enemy port, and in the process I discover enemy submarines getting close to my own ports! I immediately scramble the Red Fleet, dispatching submarines, cruisers, and destroyers to teach them a lesson! They are, however, resilient bastards. After continued engagements while having them surrounded on all sides, I only managed to down two of them, while the other two escaped my grasp...For now. Also starting to think I wasted way too much oil only to destroy 2 submarines.

Focusing on the Production now, I notice that I am using more supply than I thought I was. So, I look at my Hqs and notice I have excess of certain kinds of units. So I stop production of those units and switch the lines to Supplies instead. Now my reports are telling me I should have a surplus of supply generation. Other than that, I think I'm going to keep churning out my standard units in order to fill out reinforcement requests.

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 21
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 6/5/2019 12:51:33 PM   
YorStein

Report for Turn 2

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MC456)
Post #: 22
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 6/5/2019 12:53:07 PM   
YorStein

The North

Attachment (1)

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 23
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 6/5/2019 12:55:14 PM   
YorStein

The Center

Attachment (1)

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 24
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 6/5/2019 12:57:04 PM   
YorStein

The South

Attachment (1)

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 25
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 6/5/2019 12:59:01 PM   
YorStein

Operational outlook : An Operation called Eichenbaum (Oak Tree) is being Planed and Troops are moved as you can see here

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by YorStein -- 6/5/2019 1:06:41 PM >

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 26
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 6/5/2019 1:09:05 PM   
YorStein

The Ocean battle was has begun

Attachment (1)

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 27
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 6/5/2019 1:09:36 PM   
YorStein

My Unit rally areas

Attachment (1)

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 28
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 6/5/2019 1:13:04 PM   
YorStein

Plan Eichenbaum:
The Basic Plan is simple , encirle all Red Divisions around the Riverline and capture the Coastal Town , which will be the jump off point for an the next Operation into the Russian Industrial Heart .
In clear Terms this means that i have to destroy at least parts of 4&5th Red Army.

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 29
RE: After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP - 6/6/2019 12:53:24 AM   
MC456

TURN 3 - RED ARMY

The Germans retaliated with a fierce counter-attack in the center and managed to take an airfield, decommissioning many Soviet planes in the process, before backing his forces out into his defensive lines again. A well played tactical strike. Most of their offensives seem to be coordinated around the center region.

The battle in the north is not a pretty site...
The men are constantly battered by artillery fire, readiness and morale always bruised, and yet they still fight on.

It seems my opponent is little craftier than I thought. He had tried launching an amphibious assault on one of my cities, but unfortunately it seems he ran out of AP before he could land. On my turn I managed to mobilize an artillery unit to the city which proceeded to bombarb his landing craft, destroying 3 of the 4 (though the recon. still reports 2). I don't imagine many soldiers are left aboard. Nice try!

In the south is a situation similar to the previous rounds; soldiers entrenched along the river line while exchanging artillery fire, hoping to batter the enemy positions bad enough to finally create a hole to punch through. But, unfortunately, the enemy forces are still to dense in the south and I am not risking attacking them over the river. I have grouped 3 Armored Divisions in the south and following next turn's artillery bombardment, I will be forcing a breach into enemy lines and dive deep enough to capture his roads, cutting off his southern units from supply. After I breach the river I will have to remember to create a bridge over it, otherwise my own units will face supply issues...

In the sea I managed to surround one of his submarine squadrons and sunk 4 in one go, without any casualties on my end. And so ends the combat phase.

For production I have ramped up Supply creation as I noticed my surpluses were no longer existent and the situation was starting to get desparate. Also began to accumulate some Political Points so I can begin constructing Tank Factories due to an overwhelming surplus of Raw materials. Had to scale back on a lot of combat units as a result.

My opponent did a lot more damage this round than I thought he would. My kill:death ratio has significantly dropped in comparson to the first two rounds. I've been relying too heavily on defensive tactics while his Panzers seem to punch through my divisions like they're made of paper. Next turn he will start feeling the heat.

< Message edited by MC456 -- 6/6/2019 12:58:32 AM >

(in reply to YorStein)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> After Action Report of an Deep Battle 1938 scenario MP Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI