Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Steam dowwnload does not work on my computers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Steam dowwnload does not work on my computers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steam dowwnload does not work on my computers - 9/10/2019 2:44:04 AM   
viperdave

Hi I have downloaded DW Universe from steam on three separate new computers , surface studio 2, dell 15 in laptop and razor 15 in laptop. all three computers will do the same thing, once it installs and I go to launch game the matrix screen comes up to start the game I click on start it attempts to start with the box with DW comes on screen then about 20 seconds later it disappears and does not start the program. Also when I download the game from your matrixgames website the game will start up normally. All the computer are 2019 windows 10 and i7 or i9 chip and nvidia graphics card

thanks
dave

also just for you info I have not been able to use the update programs for any of your games for years I click on it it checks for updates but does not install them I thought it might have been my old computer with window 8 but it does it on windows 10 computers too. no big deal I just go to your website to get the download.
Post #: 1
RE: Steam dowwnload does not work on my computers - 9/10/2019 9:24:18 AM   
VPaulus

On all the three computers the stand alone version works?

Regarding the update, usually this issue is caused by the interference of a Internet security program (a firewall, an anti-virus, an anti-malware, etc.) with the game update feature. Please check if any of your Internet security programs is interfering with the download from ftp servers.

(in reply to viperdave)
Post #: 2
RE: Steam dowwnload does not work on my computers - 9/11/2019 1:20:03 PM   
viperdave

hi,
on all three computers I tried to use steam. The only computer I used to download from your website is the surface studio 2 and it work. I tried to download DW from steam on the other laptop computers just to see DW would run using the steam version. I have download other games from steam on those computers and those games run fine. Like I said they all downloaded the game fine. I click on the DW icon and the matrix game box would come normally then I would click on start or launch DW (forget the exact verbiage) then the little DW box comes up like it is loading then in less than 20 seconds the little box would disappear and that is it. nothing saying the game is not loading or quit loading. on my taskbar at the bottom of my screen the DW icon would show up as it was loading then it would disappear with the box on the screen disappeared. I know DW takes a long time to load so I did not touch the computer for about 5 minutes just to make sure it was not trying to run. Like I said all three computers were right out of the box. it just seams odd that on three different brand new computers this would happen. I can understand one because maybe that particular computer was blocking it. since I was able to download the game from your website I was not to worried. and when I got my laptops I was curious and tried to use the steam version on those computers but still same thing happened so I was thinking maybe it was something with the steam program that is different from the Matrix website program. One more note: years ago when matrix games started using steam and we got keys for the games we purchased from matrix I did use steam download on my old computer and it worked fine. I was just wondering how since the game is old maybe it has not been purchased and downloaded from steam in a while(because everyone is waiting for DW2) that something change and the steam version does not work.
sorry for so long and thanks for your replay
dave

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 3
RE: Steam dowwnload does not work on my computers - 10/27/2019 6:19:44 AM   
rjord2021

I have the Steam version and it works fine......... When you install in Steam do you press the Play button in Steam so that it builds the files it needs.

I think many issues with DWU not starting is that people do not have Windows Media Player or Explorer 11 turned on or active. I think there was a court case where Microsoft was told with Windows sold in one part of the world not to make those the default applications . So depending where you are you may need to turn them on.

Considering that all 3 of your computers have the same problem, Ensure that you have Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer both installed and enabled. You can check these at:

Control Panel > Programs and Features > Windows Features on or off > Media Features > Windows Media Player
Control Panel > Programs and Features > Windows Features on or off Explorer 11

Distant Worlds Universe needs these on.

If the game still stops at the same place,
Check the path "C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe\" for a file named DW_CrashDump.txt. If present, post the contents here.

You could also try disabling the start movie

Open the game installation folder and edit a file named startup.ini with a txt editor like Windows Notepad:

find:
playmovie 1

and replace it with:
'playmovie 1

Save the file when exiting Notepad.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 10/27/2019 6:26:45 AM >

(in reply to viperdave)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Steam dowwnload does not work on my computers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI