Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mystery of Napoleon's favourite general may be solved in Russian discovery

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Mystery of Napoleon's favourite general may be solved in Russian discovery Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mystery of Napoleon's favourite general may be solved i... - 8/29/2019 5:19:47 PM   
Zorch

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49508521

A one-legged skeleton discovered under a dance floor in Russia may hold the key to a centuries-old mystery involving Napoleon's favourite general.

Charles-Étienne Gudin died aged 44 after he was hit by a cannonball during the French invasion of Russia in 1812.

He had to have his leg amputated and died three days later from gangrene.

Archaeologists believe the skeleton found in the city of Smolensk, west of Moscow, is his. Samples have been sent to France for DNA testing.

At a press conference in Moscow on Thursday, the team of Russian and French archaeologists said they were unable to provide a conclusive answer, and that the final results would need to come from a laboratory in Marseille.

The skeleton was discovered in July in a wooden coffin in a park beneath building foundations.

The remains, they said, displayed injuries consistent with those sustained by Gudin, a veteran of both the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic wars.

At the time of his death, the French army removed Gudin's heart and buried it in Paris, but the whereabouts of his skeleton remained unknown.

"As soon as I saw the skeleton with just one leg, I knew that we had our man," the head of the archaeological team, Marina Nesterova, told AFP news agency.

A preliminary report concluded that the skeleton belonged to a man aged between 40 and 45 at the time of his death.

The latest search for Gudin's remains began in May and is being led by Pierre Malinowski, a historian with support from the Kremlin.

Researchers used the memoirs of Louis-Nicolas Davout, another French general of the Napoleonic era, who organised Gudin's funeral and described the location. They then followed another witness account, which directed them to the coffin.

Gudin, who died on 22 August 1812, attended the same military school as Napoleon Bonaparte and is believed to have been one of the French emperor's favourite generals.

Charles-Étienne Gudin was thought to be one of Napoleon Bonaparte's favourite generals
A bust of his likeness resides in the Palace of Versailles, his name is inscribed on the Arc de Triomphe monument in Paris and he also has a street in the French capital named after him.

Napoleon's invasion of Russia ended in a disastrous retreat from Moscow in 1812.

His Grande Armee of 400,000 men was thought to be unbeatable and he himself had anticipated a rapid victory.

But having initially captured Moscow after the Russian army withdrew during a harsh winter, the emperor then realised he too had to turn back.

In a letter in which he vowed to blow up the Kremlin, Napoleon exposed his frustration at the campaign, with his army ravaged by disease, cold and hunger: "My cavalry is in tatters, a lot of horses are dying."
Post #: 1
RE: Mystery of Napoleon's favourite general may be solv... - 8/29/2019 5:38:22 PM   
RangerJoe

Talk about dancing on someones grave . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2
RE: Mystery of Napoleon's favourite general may be solv... - 8/29/2019 6:32:32 PM   
Zorch

The Russians should charge him rent for the plot. Overdue rent.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3
RE: Mystery of Napoleon's favourite general may be solv... - 8/29/2019 6:42:37 PM   
warspite1

Mmmm a skeleton of a soldier of the Napoleonic period with one leg.... must be their man, I mean who else could it possibly be?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 4
RE: Mystery of Napoleon's favourite general may be solv... - 8/29/2019 6:57:40 PM   
Zovs

What’s most twisted is the French cut out his heart and buried in in France. I mean when your dead you don’t need your heart any more, but still...

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: Mystery of Napoleon's favourite general may be solv... - 8/31/2019 7:29:18 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Mmmm a skeleton of a soldier of the Napoleonic period with one leg.... must be their man, I mean who else could it possibly be?

Indeed. Although the odds might increase somewhat when considering the location, and the age the man had when he died.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Mystery of Napoleon's favourite general may be solved in Russian discovery Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI