Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Understanding Radar Signature Data

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Understanding Radar Signature Data Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Understanding Radar Signature Data - 9/24/2019 10:33:57 AM   
obrien979

I am struggling to understand the Radar Signature information for Aircraft. I am probably overthinking this and have missed the boat somewhere. Based on the photo attached, it appears that the F-117A has a lower radar picture then the newet F-22 Raptor. Meaning that it is more stealthier when up against A-D Band Radars and more likely to be seen using E-M Band Radars. Am I correct on this?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obrien979 -- 9/24/2019 10:35:46 AM >

BOB
Post #: 1
RE: Understanding Radar Signature Data - 9/24/2019 11:00:44 AM   
Dragon029

Radar signature is measured in dBsm, which is a decibel / logarithmic scale. To convert from decibel square metres to normal square metres, you use the formula:

area in square metre = 10 ^ (dBsm / 10)

Then to convert an area in square metres back into dBsm, you use the formula (where the log is using base 10):

area in dBsm = 10 x log(area in square metres)

Due to the nature of logarithms and powers, the more negative a value is in dBsm, the smaller an area it represents.

So according to that chart (which is going to be speculation or from an incomplete simulation keep in mind), the F-117A has an average radar signature of -14dBsm in radar bands A-D, which roughly equals 0.04m^2, and a radar signature of -24dBsm in radar bands E-M, which roughly equals 0.004m^2.

The F-22 meanwhile apparently has an average radar signature in the A-D bands of -20dBsm or 0.01m^2 (4x smaller than the F-117), and an average radar signature in the E-M bands of -30dBsm or 0.001m^2 (again 4x smaller than the F-117).

(in reply to obrien979)
Post #: 2
RE: Understanding Radar Signature Data - 9/24/2019 11:29:36 AM   
obrien979

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dragon029

Radar signature is measured in dBsm, which is a decibel / logarithmic scale. To convert from decibel square metres to normal square metres, you use the formula:

area in square metre = 10 ^ (dBsm / 10)

Then to convert an area in square metres back into dBsm, you use the formula (where the log is using base 10):

area in dBsm = 10 x log(area in square metres)

Due to the nature of logarithms and powers, the more negative a value is in dBsm, the smaller an area it represents.

So according to that chart (which is going to be speculation or from an incomplete simulation keep in mind), the F-117A has an average radar signature of -14dBsm in radar bands A-D, which roughly equals 0.04m^2, and a radar signature of -24dBsm in radar bands E-M, which roughly equals 0.004m^2.

The F-22 meanwhile apparently has an average radar signature in the A-D bands of -20dBsm or 0.01m^2 (4x smaller than the F-117), and an average radar signature in the E-M bands of -30dBsm or 0.001m^2 (again 4x smaller than the F-117).

Thank you for this outstanding explanation in Layman's terms. I think I have an understanding of this now. I suspected that the lower the negative value, the better its stealthiness. Time to put this new knowledge to test on some missions.

BOB

(in reply to Dragon029)
Post #: 3
RE: Understanding Radar Signature Data - 9/24/2019 6:21:09 PM   
c3k

Or, in simpler terms, the more negative the value, the LESS energy gets reflected BACK to the radar antenna. You want a BIG REDUCTION in energy being reflected back to maintain stealth.

(in reply to obrien979)
Post #: 4
RE: Understanding Radar Signature Data - 9/25/2019 10:33:29 PM   
SeaQueen

Electrical engineers like to work in decibels (dB) rather than simpler to understand linearly scaled units. The reason is that when you measure things on a logarithmic scale (i.e. dB) small changes in the underlying quantity that don't matter much get washed out. In that sense, dBsm are actually a much more convenient way of measuring rcs.

rcs (m^2) | rcs (dBsm)
------------------------
1000      | 30
100       | 20
10        | 10
1         |  0
0.1       | -10
0.01      | -20
0.001     | -30

< Message edited by SeaQueen -- 9/26/2019 7:24:33 PM >

(in reply to obrien979)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Understanding Radar Signature Data Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI