Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Upgrade lcu

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Upgrade lcu Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Upgrade lcu - 9/3/2019 2:38:35 PM   
gmtello

When you are int the ground info screen If u press hard info it shows the percent toe of the unit but What about the next column it shows just the toe relates with upgrades and reads some 758 others 600 to 164 which is the mínimum . What does it mean?
Post #: 1
RE: Upgrade lcu - 9/3/2019 2:49:42 PM   
geofflambert

Screenshot please. If you're referring to the TOE upgrade delay that's the number of days before the upgrade is available.

(in reply to gmtello)
Post #: 2
RE: Upgrade lcu - 9/3/2019 4:43:46 PM   
HansBolter

And the unit needs to be in Rest Mode for a TOE upgrade to be implemented.

Any unit showing ZERO in that column has passed the date for the TOE upgrade, meaning it is available any time and hasn't been implemented because you have never put it in rest mode at a base.

Hans

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3
RE: Upgrade lcu - 9/3/2019 6:00:54 PM   
geofflambert

Hans, I'm playing stock right now, but I hardly ever put any unit anywhere in rest mode, and they update just fine. Perhaps there's some delay beyond what it would be in rest mode. Sometimes they aren't even at a base but I'll get the script that they got the upgrade through such-and-such a base, the nearest one I think.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 4
RE: Upgrade lcu - 9/3/2019 6:37:54 PM   
HansBolter

Those are individual device upgrades as opposed to a TOE upgrade.

TOE upgrades only occur if the unit is in rest mode.

Learned that the hard way in my current game.
Had not been paying attention to TOE upgrades until it was mentioned in a thread recently and either BB or GP mentioned having to be in rest mode. After reading that thread, I started examining units and discovered slews of units with zero delay on their upgrades, many long since past the date. Their TOE upgrades never happened because I never set them to rest at a base to facilitate it.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 9/3/2019 6:38:43 PM >

Hans

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 5
RE: Upgrade lcu - 9/3/2019 6:54:41 PM   
RangerJoe

One TOE upgrade is to lighten the units to make them more mobile in the jungle. Which also makes them more air transport friendly.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 6
RE: Upgrade lcu - 9/3/2019 6:58:49 PM   
DConn

Note also that for the TOE to upgrade (as opposed to the individual devices within an existing TOE), the unit not only needs to be in Rest mode, but also within 2x the command radius of a Command HQ.

--Dave Conn
Currently defending the free world against montesaurus, DBB-B, Scen. 28

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7
RE: Upgrade lcu - 9/3/2019 9:26:15 PM   
Ian R

And think very carefully about whether to give the 42nd, 43rd, and 44th Indian cavalry regiments their final TOE upgrade.

These useful light tank battalions shed their Stuart Is and turn into tank transporter regiments - basically a block of motorised support that well help keep the medium tank brigades (and anything else) in good condition, but lose combat capability.

There is also an Indian division (originally the Burma division, but it changes designation to 39th) that devolves into a brigade size training division- basically a large garrison unit. Best avoided, as the Indians are the only CW army whose manpower position improves over time.

There are actually quite a few Indian/Brit division and brigade TOE upgrades I don't do. Generally because by the time some of the lightened jungle/air portable upgrades come along, you are pushing back through Malaya and Indo-China on a road net and the beefier 'motorised' type TOE is more useful*. There are a couple of divisions that evolve into motorised infantry eventually after starting light (possibly the 17th and 14th?) but to get past that, parked somewhere appropriate like Singapore or Saigon on rest, they will progress through any available upgrades at 1 per day. In the meantime, there are plenty of light brigades you can air transport around - the Chindits, Lushai brigade, etc.

(* This does however cause a shortage of 25lbr guns, which decrease from 72 to 48 with the light TOE. So you need to manipulate stockpiles and device upgrades throughout all CW forces to keep the 18lbrs in use. It also exacerbates the shortage of British squads, because the Indian divisions' TOE upgrades often replace the UK infantry battalions and combat engineers with Indian squads. You can't have your cake and eat it.)

The only US unit TOE upgrades I defer are the USMC defence battalions; at some point, though, you can selectively determine which ones can turn in their USMC squads to the pool.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to DConn)
Post #: 8
RE: Upgrade lcu - 9/3/2019 9:32:46 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: DConn

Note also that for the TOE to upgrade (as opposed to the individual devices within an existing TOE), the unit not only needs to be in Rest mode, but also within 2x the command radius of a Command HQ.

Beat me to it. Good catch.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 9/3/2019 9:33:19 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to DConn)
Post #: 9
RE: Upgrade lcu - 9/3/2019 9:35:54 PM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: DConn

Interestingly, the Command HQ will perform this function even if it is in strategic mode.

It will not, however, do it while loaded on transports. You have to drop it on an island briefly, and then you can pick it right back up and take it back to where you need it.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to DConn)
Post #: 10
RE: Upgrade lcu - 9/4/2019 9:18:52 PM   
gmtello

In tracker there are only numbers of upgrades delays of some units. The rest there have no Number not 0 or minus. Does it mean all this units have the upgrade passed?

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 11
RE: Upgrade lcu - 9/5/2019 11:37:45 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: gmtello

In tracker there are only numbers of upgrades delays of some units. The rest there have no Number not 0 or minus. Does it mean all this units have the upgrade passed?

No, it means there is no TOE upgrade for that unit.

Not all units have a TOE upgrade possible for them.

Hans

(in reply to gmtello)
Post #: 12
RE: Upgrade lcu - 10/10/2019 5:29:27 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Interestingly, the Command HQ will perform this function even if it is in strategic mode.

It will not, however, do it while loaded on transports. You have to drop it on an island briefly, and then you can pick it right back up and take it back to where you need it.

So ONLY command HQs work, naval HQs do NOT work for navy units? There are not many commnd HQs, btw. do you need not also a special base size or amount of supplies for a TOE upgrade? I found that some of my IJN basefoces would upgrade - but some (iirc!) in range of a HQ did not. Also strangely divisions at the same place would upgrade to 43 inf squads while another does not (in rest mode)... maybe random is involved? And yes, the TOE said it can upgrade to 43 sqauds. I wonder if a fraction of an HQ would work too?

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 10/10/2019 5:30:28 PM >

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 13
RE: Upgrade lcu - 10/11/2019 2:11:18 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

So ONLY command HQs work, naval HQs do NOT work for navy units?

Only command HQs work for LCUs (be they Navy, Army, etc.). If you're talking about ships, they don't need an HQ at all, but do need to be disbanded in a port, and often require a minimum size shipyard to be present.

quote:

I found that some of my IJN basefoces would upgrade - but some (iirc!) in range of a HQ did not. Also strangely divisions at the same place would upgrade to 43 inf squads while another does not (in rest mode)... maybe random is involved? And yes, the TOE said it can upgrade to 43 sqauds. I wonder if a fraction of an HQ would work too?

HansBolter addressed this earlier in this thread - don't confuse a device upgrade with a TOE upgrade.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 14
RE: Upgrade lcu - 10/11/2019 6:09:15 PM   
Dili

Device upgrade : device X upgrades to device Y

TOE upgrades: device quantities in unit might change, devices type might change, the unit itself might change its type, so infantry division might be now an armored division.

< Message edited by Dili -- 10/11/2019 6:32:24 PM >

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 15
RE: Upgrade lcu - 10/12/2019 2:04:02 AM   
Ian R

quote:

I wonder if a fraction of an HQ would work too?

Only the "parent" fraction.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 16
RE: Upgrade lcu - 10/12/2019 2:18:50 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

quote:

I wonder if a fraction of an HQ would work too?

Only the "parent" fraction.

And the parent is not necessarily the largest chunk of the unit. When loading a unit amphibiously and relying on the game's assessment that my TF had enough capacity, I have sometimes been surprised to find a chunk of the unit left behind with mostly motorized transport and support squads. Well, it appears that the unit commander resides with those support squads because most of the time the fragment left behind is the parent (you can change the upgrade orders) while the far larger fighting part of the unit cannot have upgrade settings changed.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Upgrade lcu Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI