Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

carrier damage scaling

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> carrier damage scaling Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
carrier damage scaling - 10/11/2019 11:32:48 AM   
Mercutio

All units lose a major portion of their attack/defense when damaged.

Carriers however, lose planes differently. In my current game, I reduced the enemy carrier to 1 SP. However it still has 7 air! How these planes would take off and land from a listing, burning, smoking ruin defies explanation to me. Perhaps make it where carriers cannot launch if under something like 5 SP would make more sense IMO.

Post #: 1
RE: carrier damage scaling - 10/11/2019 11:59:48 AM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mercutio

Carriers however, lose planes differently. In my current game, I reduced the enemy carrier to 1 SP. However it still has 7 air! How these planes would take off and land from a listing, burning, smoking ruin defies explanation to me. Perhaps make it where carriers cannot launch if under something like 5 SP would make more sense IMO.

Yes, this would make sense. Maybe a carrier can't conduct flight operations at all at 2 or below, and there's an effectiveness penalty on the air wing between 3 and 7? So you only get peak performance when the hull is at strength 8 or more.

(in reply to Mercutio)
Post #: 2
RE: carrier damage scaling - 10/11/2019 4:50:42 PM   
Christolos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mercutio

I agree this does not make sense, but I think it is part and parcel of the naval game mechanics in that during any turn in which a player attacks another enemy carrier, that carrier itself cannot attack or cause damage to the attacking carrier until its turn, the following turn.

It seems a little odd that the attacked carrier, in the span of the one month or so turn of the player with the attacking carrier doing all the damage, would always not be able to retaliate against the attacking carrier. Granted, this could happen as it did at Midway, but I think, and this is because while the naval game mechanics play out at a tactical level, it tries to simulate a strategic level of play at the same time, and this (which is the major complaint that some players have regarding the naval game) doesn't always work very well.

Perhaps we could think that a carrier damaged to level 1 can also happen not only in the immediate sense or timeframe of a tactical level battle, but over the whole course of both player’s turns (which could also happen) such that if it wanted to, it (the attacked carrier) could still cause, or could have caused some damage in retaliation—which because of the turn based nature of the game, could only happen in the next turn.

This presents a conundrum in that how can the two possibilities be distinguished, i.e., immediate damage down to 1, or damage down to 1 over a course of time that would allow the attacked carrier to get off an effective retaliatory strike.
Of course if the carrier in question (damaged down to 1) were to hang around for more than just the following turn at a strength level of 1, it would not make sense that it could still attack with a full or near full complement of planes.

C

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Mercutio)
Post #: 3
RE: carrier damage scaling - 10/11/2019 10:56:53 PM   
Mercutio

I don't want to hear your retaliation story, Christolos. Like Han Solo, you shot first!

Otherwise I want planes from the carrier you sunk to retaliate!

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 4
RE: carrier damage scaling - 10/12/2019 3:58:30 PM   
Christolos

Lol!!!

I had to shoot first since you were sneaking up on me!

Cheers mate!

C

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Mercutio)
Post #: 5
RE: carrier damage scaling - 10/12/2019 8:09:01 PM   
Mercutio

I believe the word you are looking for it reconnoitering. We don't sneak... much.

Cheers to you as well

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> carrier damage scaling Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI