Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2nd American civil war scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> 2nd American civil war scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2nd American civil war scenario - 6/28/2020 5:21:23 PM   
sedmi patuljak

I am playing this scenario as C.S.A. and having hard time.

How to play this scenario succesfully, what strategies to use...any advice welcomed...
Post #: 1
RE: 2nd American civil war scenario - 6/28/2020 9:25:13 PM   
ernieschwitz

Thanks for playing one of the scenarios I have been part of making! :)

Playing the confederacy is pretty tough, as I recall. Lots of enemies, lots of front to cover.

The scenario uses the realistic planes and so on, that had been developed at the time. Planes thus, don't have any great range.

If I recall correctly the speed of the formation (of planes) shows in the form of a movement mode. This mode can have any name really, but Air 33 or something like that is possible. Air 33, in this case, means that the unit in question pays 33 Action Points (APs) to move 1 hex. This means that it would have a total operational range of 3, since air units have 100 APs to use.

In cases like this, air power will thus be very limited. Thus I would assume that artillery becomes more of a go to. That, and tanks.

I am sure that Bombur and Lion of Judah are as glad as I am that you find the scenario worth playing :)

(in reply to sedmi patuljak)
Post #: 2
RE: 2nd American civil war scenario - 6/29/2020 1:32:23 AM   
Twotribes

I play it now and again it has a minor bug as you process ai turns you will get reports of problems just click through them.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 3
RE: 2nd American civil war scenario - 6/29/2020 3:35:24 AM   
navekaoy

Oh man, what a cool scenario. I can't say I have terribly much in the way to offer in terms of advice, as I've only played it once, as the U.S.A., and the player controlling the California/Texas conglomerate wasn't very experienced with the game, so his position collapsed fairly quickly and ended the scenario in a jiffy. But yeah, the C.S.A. player did seem to find himself a bit beleaguered independent of his compatriot's performance.

Are your Confederates getting rolled up at the local tactical level and can't hold their lines, or do you just feel that overall they don't have a winning strategy?

From an overall strategy perspective, the things I remember thinking might be weaknesses from the Union/Mexican side were the Panama Canal, New England, and Mexico itself. I can't remember the dynamics well enough to recall why taking Panama would have been valuable, but it seemed vulnerable. New England also felt pretty vulnerable, though invasions probably aren't easy. And Mexico, while not the crown jewel in terms of worthwhile cities to capture, has a lot of weak troops, so it felt vulnerable. As for defense, the South has a lot of mountains and good defensible terrain, but in the Midwest things are a bit trickier. If I recall correctly (unlikely), there's a city in the Midwest or in Oklahoma that seems really tough to defend from the get-go; it may be better to write off just to form a better line (though I could be wrong about that).

Anyways, good luck, and let us know what you come up with!

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 4
RE: 2nd American civil war scenario - 6/29/2020 6:46:10 AM   
sedmi patuljak

Scenario is just great, loving it. As I am currently reading book Guns of the south I wanted to play C.S.A. naturally, to rolle play a bit.

Strategic position of C.S.A. seems very interesting with long coast line and control of Cuba and surrounding islands. At first I thought that by trading trans-mississippi area for Caribian islands C.S.A. will be much stronger than it was in the real CW.
So I went with naval/airforce aproach.

That didn't end up well in the end. C.S.A. should rather be land power then naval one. I did well in the east but lost in the west. I think if C.S.A. had kentucky area it would be strong enough to defend itself on the western front just as well as the eastern or at least give time to organize better defense there. So what was C.S.A. leaders thinking to not ask for Kentucky when they won the 1st civil war? :)

(in reply to navekaoy)
Post #: 5
RE: 2nd American civil war scenario - 6/29/2020 5:38:38 PM   
cpdeyoung

I did a mod for this lovely scenario adding a level of HQ, Corps if I remember correctly. The AI plays this scenario pretty well.

Chuck

(in reply to sedmi patuljak)
Post #: 6
RE: 2nd American civil war scenario - 7/8/2020 9:19:56 AM   
sedmi patuljak

Second try I followed advices and it went much better. Artillery is the key to win.

This time I left Virginia front to defense and most resources shift to the west. Union hit hard but art really wear them down and soon I went to offensive myself. Now I have all of Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma taken and pushing slowly north.

Really good scenario.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> 2nd American civil war scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI