Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Regrading the Bulgarian territory/borders before WWI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Regrading the Bulgarian territory/borders before WWI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Regrading the Bulgarian territory/borders before WWI - 11/17/2019 6:28:32 AM   
eightroomofelixir

I have been reading the AAR threads and really enjoyed the game.
Then, Judging from the screenshots in the AAR threads, I noticed that in the game, the coastal area east of the Greek city of Kavalla (although I think the proper name is Kavala) alone the Aegean Sea, known as the "Western Thrace" IRL, is part of the in-game Greek territory, which blocks the Bulgarian access to the Aegean Sea.

However, although Bulgaria was defeated in the Second Balkan War, they did gain Western Thrace under the terms of the Treaty of Bucharest, in 1913.
As in IRL 1914, this coastal area is part of Bulgaria, with an underdeveloped port city named Dedeağaç.
Also, later when Bulgaria entered the war in 1916, they used the Western Thrace as the bridgehead for invading Greece: The Bulgarian 10th Aegean Division was deployed in the Western Thrace, and took Kavala soon after. (The loss of Kavala also triggered the establishment of Provisional Government of National Defence in Greece)

TLDR I think according to the Treaty of Bucharest (1913), the in-game Greek territory east of Kavala should actually belong to Bulgaria, and should have Bulgarian troops in it when Bulgaria joins the Central Powers.
Post #: 1
RE: Regrading the Bulgarian territory/borders before WWI - 11/17/2019 11:19:31 PM   
darth254

yeah, you're definitely right that Bulgaria did have control of that area between Kavala and the Ottomans.

one of the earlier screenshots on Steam does show it was assigned to Greece, though I know the beta did already fix some map issues (e.g. early screenshot Ostrawa had been assigned to part of German Empire but this was corrected to Austria-Hungary). I am not sure if the beta had updated this already or not. most of the screenshots I'm seeing of the beta AAR seem to cut off a little bit south of Sophia, so if I missed it my bad.

(in reply to eightroomofelixir)
Post #: 2
RE: Regrading the Bulgarian territory/borders before WWI - 11/18/2019 6:43:55 PM   
eightroomofelixir

According to the screenshot from the "Strategic Command WWI Beta Multiplayer AAR" thread in the forum, that piece of coastal land still belongs to Greece.
(My account is not allowed to post links for now so you need to check that thread yourself I am afraid. )

Attachment (1)

No conquest without labor.

(in reply to darth254)
Post #: 3
RE: Regrading the Bulgarian territory/borders before WWI - 11/19/2019 6:32:07 PM   
BillRunacre

Thanks, you are right and I've made some adjustments to the campaigns accordingly.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 4
RE: Regrading the Bulgarian territory/borders before WWI - 11/19/2019 10:32:00 PM   
eightroomofelixir

Thank you for the reply!

P.S.: Another thing I noticed in the AAR is that the in-game Serbia has a strip of land leading to the Adriatic Sea, with a port next to the Cetinje; although IRL before WWI Serbia did not have any direct access to the Adriatic.
Is this a possible error or an intentional game design? Because the in-game Serbia need to receive supplies from France from that port.

(Also, the port city not far from Cetinje seemed to be Cattaro, modern Kotor; but the Cattaro appears on the in-game map is at the west of Ragusa, rather than at east of it, and it was a A-H city before WWI. The major port town of Montenegro then was Antivari/Bar, south of Cetinje. It seems like the small scale of the in-game Montenegro caused these problems, as A-H need to have Cattaro as one of their major naval bases. Maybe move Cattaro to the hex right next to Ragusa, out of Montenegro's touch, and extended M's hex further south into Albania, and put Antivari there?)

No conquest without labor.

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 5
RE: Regrading the Bulgarian territory/borders before WWI - 11/20/2019 12:40:50 PM   
BillRunacre

I've also made some adjustments there.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Regrading the Bulgarian territory/borders before WWI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI