Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help understanding Thermocline interaction with sensors

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Help understanding Thermocline interaction with sensors Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help understanding Thermocline interaction with sensors - 4/17/2020 10:04:00 AM   
Duncan2401

Hi all,

I think I have a decent broad understanding of how the thermocline impacts sonar performance (harder to detect targets on opposite side of layer, harder to detect targets and be counter detected within the layer and good propagation in the surface duct and just below the layer) and how towed sonar arrays work with the layer (ie trail below current depth so can detect below layer while your vessel is above).

My questions relate to how the depth and strength of the layer can affect sonar performance and how the TASS behaviour is modeled.
First up is layer depth. Using X-Ray Station as an example the layer is situated between -131 and -223 feet, this means that when I select 'Just Above Layer' my depth is set to ~98ft however 'Shallow' still sets me at -131ft. Does having a thermocline at such a shallow depth make it impossible to trail a TASS above the layer? Also by placing myself at -98ft am I sitting in the surface duct or does cold water lessen that effect?
Second is for the strength. In the same scenario the strength is given as 0.3 which seems low but I am not sure what that means in real terms. Does that mean that sitting in the layer or even below it is quite easy to detect targets on the surface (as the layer is quite shallow and not very thick) and be detected in turn?

Apologies for the long post, any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

M. Duncan

"Just a simple airman, trying to make his way in an officers world"
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Help understanding Thermocline interaction with sensors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI