Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

When is the best time to start the war?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> When is the best time to start the war? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When is the best time to start the war? - 12/29/2019 5:21:05 AM   
Rogue188

What is everyone's favorite time to start their war in the Pacific? I prefer Dec 8th so that I get the realistic Pearl Harbor attack, but I started my current game with Dec 7th surprise. My only disappointment is that when you diverge from history, the AI doesn't seem able to keep up. For example, I knew the Japanese were going to attack Wake and I used Lexington to knock out their initial attack. I even got into a carrier duel with Enterprise/Lexington against Akagi/Hyru (I think) a couple of weeks later and won! I didn't sink either carrier, but I knocked them out of action for a few months with no carrier losses on my side. I reinforced the island and now I only get piecemeal attacks against the island. Its almost like the Japanese are landing all the scripted troops without realizing they don't own the island. The overall Japanese expansion is going very slowly. So far I have sunk over 200 Japanese ships in the first 4 months, with most being transports.

Personally, I want to fight the Japanese at the height of their expansion. I want the challenge of having to rollback the tide and keep getting frustrated when the Japanese expand slower than in real life. As such, I am thinking about loading up AndyMac's May '42 campaign and starting over there.

What is your favorite time to start?
Post #: 1
RE: When is the best time to start the war? - 12/29/2019 5:30:07 AM   
Ian R

Option A - Start on December 8, and as the allies sit back and let the IJ conquer everything historical. In about mid 1942 start fighting back.

Option B - Start on December 7 non historical, get everything out of PH, set yourself the triple tasks of holding Singapore/Palembang/Bataan (send lots of subs transporting supplies), and win beat the AI by say, 30 June 1943 with a landing on Honshu. The AI is not very good if you ski off piste.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Rogue188)
Post #: 2
RE: When is the best time to start the war? - 12/29/2019 5:35:21 PM   
Rogue188

As a follow up, would changing the difficulty be a better option? I saw the computer has logistic advantages, but I don't know if that turns into better strategy.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 3
RE: When is the best time to start the war? - 12/29/2019 6:17:05 PM   
Kull

It's extremely easy to break the AI when playing the standard scenarios, so your best bet is to play historically and let the Japanese expand where they will for the first 6-8 months of the war. Then when you fight back, it's against an adversary who's had time to entrench and isn't sending 100's of penny-packet invasion forces all over the place. Otherwise you'll just be disappointed at how "stupid" the AI is. Without considering that it's doing historical things while you are the one operating impossibly, given foreknowledge of Japan's targets and timelines and the ability to ignore the Allied realities of December 1941.

However, if that feels like too much of a constraint and you want to do whatever you like, then the only option is to play one of the Level 2 or 3 Ironman campaigns. At which point the AI will beat you like a rug because it has more stuff than you can possibly deal with unless you are extremely patient and cautious....which is exactly the strategy needed to have a good game in the more historical scenarios.

Edit: Difficulty levels do not affect the AI's ability to "plan" or "think". It's logistical help at "Hard", and logistical plus combat resolution odds improvements at "Very Hard"

< Message edited by Kull -- 12/29/2019 6:19:34 PM >

(in reply to Rogue188)
Post #: 4
RE: When is the best time to start the war? - 12/29/2019 6:18:43 PM   
Anachro

From the Japanese perspective, the best time to start the war is NEVER!

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> When is the best time to start the war? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI