Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any Tips/Instructions for moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Any Tips/Instructions for moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any Tips/Instructions for moving from Windows 7 to Wind... - 1/15/2020 12:10:14 AM   
dereck

I'm upgrading the laptop I use for my photography and Matrix games.

I'm going from a Windows 7 laptop to a Windows 10 desktop.

The desktop's configuration is:
o Windows 10 home 64-bit
o Intel Core i7-9700F
o 16 GB memory
o NVIDEA GeForce RTX 2060 Super (8GB video memory)

I remember years back when people were upgrading to Windows 10 reading about
stumbling blocks people had when trying to get WITPAE working
on their new Windows 10 system. Still being working with Windows 7 I am ashamed
to say I didn't really pay much attention though now this has become relevent.

How easy will it be for me to move my game? Will I have to completely re-install
or can I simply copy the files from the Windows 7 laptop to the Windows 10 desktop?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
Post #: 1
RE: Any Tips/Instructions for moving from Windows 7 to ... - 1/15/2020 12:50:55 AM   
BillBrown

You will need to do one installation and then you can move your existing files to your new computer.
The initial install sets things in the Windows Registry.
I am using windows 10 now and have no real problems with it. It does take a bit to find the right
command line switches.

< Message edited by BillBrown -- 1/15/2020 12:51:13 AM >

(in reply to dereck)
Post #: 2
RE: Any Tips/Instructions for moving from Windows 7 to ... - 1/15/2020 3:56:15 PM   
BBfanboy

Be aware that the base game is as released, but the earlier patches have been wiped away and you must use either the official 1126a or the Beta 1126b.
I think they are nearly identical but the Beta sets up a different install directory (Beta 2) and shortcut from the normal one installed by the game.

I found the hardest part of the transition was trying to get a full-screen or near full-screen display of the game because Win 10 likes to keep a bar of Windows stuff visible. Most of us settle for the game in Windowed mode with the window sized just a little smaller than the full screen but there are instructions in a thread in the Tech Section on how to get a Full-Screen display (no window) for the game.

You can copy over the saved game files to your newly installed game directory but if you did art and map changes too, you should probably save your game-installed versions before copying over your user-created ones.
Similarly, if you play mods like DBB or Focus Pacific, you should do a separate install for each type of mod so the data files do not get mixed with the stock game.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 3
RE: Any Tips/Instructions for moving from Windows 7 to ... - 1/27/2020 7:59:10 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL:It does take a bit to find the right
command line switches.

So what are these "switches"?

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Any Tips/Instructions for moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI