Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AGS first turn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> AGS first turn Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AGS first turn - 6/23/2020 3:42:05 AM   
CapAndGown

I thought I would post my idea for a turn 1 opening move for Army Group South and find out what kind of feed back I might get.

The main concept here is large encirclements and turn 2 activation of the Rumanians.

1) 17th Army drives south between the Carpathians and Lvov opening a corridor for 2 panzer divisions to head south to the Rumanian border. This thrust has several objectives:
a) Create the southern arm of an encirclement of the forces around Lvov.
b)Activate Rumanian forces on turn 2
c)Cut the rail lines leading to the Carpathians, preventing Soviet units west of this thrust from railing out while stretching their supply lines considerably. Key to this is cutting the rail line at 57,94 (marked "B" on the map).

2) 6th Army punches a hole through Soviet forces north of Lvov between Ustilug and Parkhach to set up two encirclements.
a) First, 6th Army forms the northern arm of the encirclement of the forces around Lvov.
b) Second, with the help of the 1st Cavalry division, 6th Army encircles the units around Kovel. To ensure this pocket stays isolated, 1st Cavalry Division clears Kamin Kashirsky (marked "A" on the map)so that no Soviet units route to this town, then rally, then move south to open the pocket.

3) To complete the encirclement around Lvov, 46 Panzer Corps is diverted from AGC in order to form the eastern arm of the Lvov pocket.

Admin point expenditures and unit reassignments:
97 Light Inf Div is assigned to 52 Corps
262 Inf Div is reassigned from 4 Corps to 44 Corps (2 admin points) This is to relieve administrative over load of both 4 Corps and 17th Army.
99 Light Inf Div is assigned to 55 Corps
To reassign 46 Pz Corps to 1 PzG will cost 20 admin points. I am not sure if I should do that right away, although realistically, it should happen as long as the corps is operating in PzG 1's zone.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: AGS first turn - 6/23/2020 4:06:39 AM   
redrum68

Unless I misunderstand something, this opening would activate the Romanian front turn 1 not turn 2 as you've gone too far south.

(in reply to CapAndGown)
Post #: 2
RE: AGS first turn - 6/23/2020 8:55:22 AM   
tyronec

Axis can do a lot better than this by pocketing more units in secure pockets and locking some more in place with ZOC's. It depends on how many of AGC Panzers you want to commit. There are many good examples on past AARs, with links to some of them in EVK's library of resources in the War room.

(in reply to redrum68)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> AGS first turn Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI