Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/4/2020 1:51:59 PM   
guctony

Is there any drawback to assign Japanese Naval Air unit to Japanese army air Hq. Will they fuction normally or they require Air HQ to function properly.

"Unless a nation's life faces peril, war is murder."
"Sovereignty is not given, it is taken."
"After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
Mustafa Kemal
Post #: 1
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/4/2020 1:58:31 PM   
Dili

You can't do that.

Edit: seems i was wrong and it can be done.

Maybe if the HQ unit is nearby might have advantage.

< Message edited by Dili -- 5/4/2020 2:00:51 PM >

(in reply to guctony)
Post #: 2
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/4/2020 3:06:38 PM   
Q-Ball

In the game, there is no functional difference between an IJN and IJA Air HQ. It doesn't matter.

In fact, other than whether the command is restricted or not, I don't think it matters what the HQ parent is of any air unit....that was always my understanding

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 3
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/4/2020 3:12:18 PM   
dr.hal

The only advantage for air units to be from the same HQ is coordination. If an attack is made by multiple air units from the SAME HQ (not necessarily from the same base) and all attacking the same target, they stand a better chance (read dice roll) of a coordinated and thus possibly more effective strike.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 4
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/4/2020 3:45:41 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

The only advantage for air units to be from the same HQ is coordination. If an attack is made by multiple air units from the SAME HQ (not necessarily from the same base) and all attacking the same target, they stand a better chance (read dice roll) of a coordinated and thus possibly more effective strike.

I am not sure that is a proven game feature. Some players swear by it, others not.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 5
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/4/2020 4:16:38 PM   
RangerJoe

The Air Mission Coordination Guide v2.1

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2382494

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 6
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/4/2020 6:40:45 PM   
dr.hal

I sit corrected Lowpe, you're right, there is nothing in the manual that talks about an Air HQ conferring better coordination. Section 7.2.1.5 details what the Air HQ does. The last bullet on 8.1.1 also elaborates. Clearly an Air HQ can help a strike by aiding in more aircraft in the strike, but it doesn't directly aid in coordination of that strike between differing elements that I can see. Sorry for the confusion.

< Message edited by dr.hal -- 5/4/2020 6:41:12 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 7
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/5/2020 2:39:46 AM   
Alfred

quote:

I sit corrected Lowpe, you're right, there is nothing in the manual that talks about an Air HQ conferring better coordination. Section 7.2.1.5 details what the Air HQ does. The last bullet on 8.1.1 also elaborates. Clearly an Air HQ can help a strike by aiding in more aircraft in the strike, but it doesn't directly aid in coordination of that strike between differing elements that I can see. Sorry for the confusion.

No, you don't stand corrected. You were correct in the earlier post.

Coordination chance is improved if groups are within flying range of their Air HQ. Confirmed by michaelm75au himself in January 2011.

Those arguing to the contrary is once again another instance of players relying upon their anecdotal evidence which is worthless because they don't actually rigorously observe what happens.

Alfred

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 8
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/5/2020 2:46:15 AM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

Coordination chance is improved if groups are within flying range of their Air HQ. Confirmed by michaelm75au himself in January 2011.

Those arguing to the contrary is once again another instance of players relying upon their anecdotal evidence which is worthless because they don't actually rigorously observe what happens.

Alfred

Thanks Alfred, I didn't see anything in the manual and didn't know about Michaeim's clarification. But I did operate under the impression that Air HQs did have a role. Thanks again for the input.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 9
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/5/2020 4:54:38 AM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: guctony

Is there any drawback to assign Japanese Naval Air unit to Japanese army air Hq. Will they fuction normally or they require Air HQ to function properly.

While there is nothing stopping you from making such assignments in game, you may want to refrain from it for role-play reasons. Remember, if you have no proper IJN air HQ, you can simply attach your IJN air groups to the same theatre command. Check how the IJA air groups are attached in Canton in December, 1941.

See this thread, with releveant info from michaelm

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/printable.asp?m=2693781&mpage=2

"Groups belonging to same theatre command have increased chance; groups in range of their Air Hq are further increased"

< Message edited by Yaab -- 5/5/2020 5:45:42 AM >

(in reply to guctony)
Post #: 10
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/5/2020 6:08:38 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Thanks Alfred, I didn't see anything in the manual and didn't know about Michaeim's clarification. But I did operate under the impression that Air HQs did have a role. Thanks again for the input.

The HQs try to contribute on coordination but early in the game with low experience levels and lesser skilled leaders, the Allied air units have a lot of problems with coordination. I think that is why people were thinking the Air HQ must not help. Overall experience of the pilots is probably the biggest factor (other than weather which you have no control over).

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 11
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/5/2020 7:55:03 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Also what's-his-name that wrote the air coordination guide had confirmed it. Herb also has stated that it is part of his "secret" as well. This is well documented and used.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 5/5/2020 8:18:54 AM >

Pax

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 12
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/5/2020 9:32:02 AM   
LeeChard

When in doubt do what makes sense IRL. In most cases it will have a positive effect on your game-play. At worst it will have no downside except maybe the cost of some PPs.
I think worrying too much about these details can spoil my game experience. I tend to look them up after the fact more out of curiosity. Never have I find it to be a big blunder.
If you decide to follow this philosophy and lose a carrier or two you are welcome to post something nasty about me

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 13
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/5/2020 11:07:55 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Also what's-his-name that wrote the air coordination guide had confirmed it. Herb also has stated that it is part of his "secret" as well. This is well documented and used.

What's-his-name is LoBaronn, the guy with Snoopy the pilot on his shot up dog house.

Here is the link again:

The Air Mission Coordination Guide v2.1The Air Mission Coordination Guide v2.1

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2382494

― Julia Child

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 14
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/5/2020 1:20:16 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

LoBaron? Koniu, an excellent JFB, used it extensively with devastating results.

My problem, is having an air force left.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 5/5/2020 1:21:04 PM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 15
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/6/2020 11:31:04 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: LeeChard

When in doubt do what makes sense IRL. In most cases it will have a positive effect on your game-play. At worst it will have no downside except maybe the cost of some PPs.
I think worrying too much about these details can spoil my game experience. I tend to look them up after the fact more out of curiosity. Never have I find it to be a big blunder.
If you decide to follow this philosophy and lose a carrier or two you are welcome to post something nasty about me

This is very sound advice.

Notwithstanding all its abstractions, the game design has always been to capture the real world historical essence. Everything possible, within the limitations of a computer game played on commercial hardware which is not state of the art, has been directed towards providing a window into the real life considerations which the historical leaders had to contend with.

It logically follows that decisions consistent with real life considerations, will always be appropriate. It is those players who are looking to game the system by looking for code loopholes and disregarding real world considerations, who expose themselves to being bitten in the arxx.

Alfred

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 16
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/6/2020 11:58:38 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Alfred

LoBaron? Koniu, an excellent JFB, used it extensively with devastating results.

My problem, is having an air force left.

Correct on both points.

As to your last point, well, yes to that as well!!!

Pax

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 17
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/6/2020 1:46:40 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

Notwithstanding all its abstractions, the game design has always been to capture the real world historical essence. Everything possible, within the limitations of a computer game played on commercial hardware which is not state of the art, has been directed towards providing a window into the real life considerations which the historical leaders had to contend with.

It logically follows that decisions consistent with real life considerations, will always be appropriate. It is those players who are looking to game the system by looking for code loopholes and disregarding real world considerations, who expose themselves to being bitten in the arxx.

Alfred

Alfred, your statement encapsulates the foundational attractiveness of this game system. Yes there are some areas that are not as realistic as could be, thus a need for HRs if one likes that drive toward further historical accuracy. However the underlining attraction of this game is its adherence to history.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 18
RE: attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ - 5/6/2020 9:00:24 PM   
RangerJoe

Well, by not using the HRs that strive for historical accuracy especially as concerns the cooperation between the Japanese Army and Navy, is also a "What if?" Then again, putting US Naval units in the IO as well as more air and ground units from the US went against the US unstated policy of not actively supporting the colonial empires. The Australians did not sent units there since they wanted to defend their homeland. So it does tend to balance out.

Not to mention, would the USSR really have allowed Allied units to operate out of its territory and would they have turned over areas to the Allies that they had captured? I don't think so.

― Julia Child

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> attaching Japanese naval air units to arm AIR HQ Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI