Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scenario for testing - Spring High, 1965

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scenario for testing - Spring High, 1965 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scenario for testing - Spring High, 1965 - 9/8/2021 1:21:06 AM   
cwemyss

Dan Hampton's book "The Hunter Killers," about the birth of his beloved defense suppression/Wild Weasel mission, opens with Operation Spring High: the first attempt to deliberately target Surface to Air Missile (SAM) sites in North Vietnam.

Great summary of the mission here: https://www.historynet.com/operation-spring-high-thuds-vs-sams.htm
It's a perfect microcosm the Rolling Thunder campaign... targets picked and micromanaged by Washington, tactics and weapons intended for a different war entirely, technology that would still have been very familiar to WW2 veterans, and over it all unbelievable bravery on the part of the aircrews.

I happened to just be getting back into Command Modern Operations after a long absence, at the same time I was reading the book. I poked around to see if anyone had already built it... and shockingly it didn't seem to be out there. If I missed it and I'm duplicating someones work, I apologize. Also, it's been quite a while since I've built one of these so it could be a bit rough. Let me know what you think, input and suggestions are very welcome.

Attachment (1)

Occasionally also known as cf_dallas
Post #: 1
RE: Scenario for testing - Spring High, 1965 - 9/8/2021 1:22:41 AM   
cwemyss

Complete side note... I'm honestly conflicted about whether to recommend the book. It's some incredible material and absolutely great history. Hampton clearly had a high level access and cooperation from the F-100, F-105 and F-4 pilots who flew the missions, likely because he was part of the same community (Desert Storm/Iraq War F-16 Weasel pilot). But in keeping with his other books... his writing is a bit repetitive at times, and he really downplays the part played in the conflict by anyone who's not a fighter pilot... and even more specifically not a Weasel. I went and read one guy's MoH citation, and the backstory of that mission, and Hampton left out some pretty key parts to (unnecessarily) pump up "his" guys role. Anyway... probably worth a read and not really relevant here.

(in reply to cwemyss)
Post #: 2
RE: Scenario for testing - Spring High, 1965 - 9/8/2021 2:35:40 AM   
Randomizer

Welcome back. I am playing your "The Match is Lit" scenario but some of the events need tweaking due to changes in the Lua scripting. If you're interested in polishing it up a bit for future inclusion in the Community Scenario download, drop me a PM and I'll provide the fixes I used plus feedback of my play through to date. There are so comparatively few Cold War scenarios from the Soviet side and I think that the situation that you produced for the scenario is awesome.

-C

(in reply to cwemyss)
Post #: 3
RE: Scenario for testing - Spring High, 1965 - 9/8/2021 3:56:20 AM   
cwemyss

Thanks! PM inbound

(in reply to Randomizer)
Post #: 4
RE: Scenario for testing - Spring High, 1965 - 9/9/2021 6:16:12 AM   
Fido81

Welcome back. I just gave it a play and feel like I got approximately the results intended - a lot of SAM launchers destroyed, but no SAMs, and lost pilots. In that sense, I suppose I found the scenario to be a success.

I did call off the remaining attacks after receiving messages indicating the targets weren't real, and end the scenario before they returned to base.

I didn't find the scenario rough around the edges - if anything, I was surprised so much of the setup work had been done for me. Given the F-105's fuel consumption rate, that seems like it was a smart decision.

SIDE: PACAF Thuds
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
3x F-105D Thunderchief

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
28x CBU-29/B CB [670 x BLU-36/B Bomblets]

SIDE: PACAF Supt

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: NVA

LOSSES:
8x 37mm/63 M1939 [Cargo]
8x 57mm S60 [Cargo]
12x SA-2d Guideline Mod 1 Single Rail [Cargo]
2x Vehicle (Fire Can [SON-9]) [Cargo]
32x Vehicle (Truck, Unarmed) [Cargo]

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
200x 14.5mm MG Burst [20 rnds]
32x 85mm M1939
72x 100mm KS-19 Frag
561x 57mm S60 HE
34x 37mm/63 M1939 [5 rnds]
134x 23mm ZU-23-2 Burst [20 rnds]
188x 37mm/63 Twin Burst [20 rnds]
4x SA-2d Guideline Mod 1 [S-75M Volkhov, 20D / V-755]

SIDE: Markers

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

(in reply to cwemyss)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Scenario for testing - Spring High, 1965 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI