Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Starting a 4 player Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Starting a 4 player Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Starting a 4 player Game - 6/6/2020 12:42:59 AM   
hornetkv

Hello! My friends and I have been playing WiF for a while now and love it. We are no longer geographically co-located and purchased the MWiF game. We can not figure out of to successfully lunch a 4 person game. Is this possible and/or are their instructions available?
Post #: 1
RE: Starting a 4 player Game - 6/6/2020 12:55:21 AM   
davidachamberlain

The game, as it is designed right now, is for 2 players, but it is easy to play with as many players as you want. It depends on how you want to play. If everyone is in the same room, you can either use Head to Head or Solitaire and just have each player take their turn at the appropriate time. For each turn, each side (Axis vs Allies) shifts through each of the major powers and you can select which power you want to do, such as when you need to move some pieces of one power before moving other pieces.

The key consideration are who plays which.

Final Edition set the following for 4 players
1) US/CW/CH
2) FR/USSR/CHCOM
3) GER
4) JP/IT

However, you could change this up if you want to better manage Pacific vs Europe with IT being done with GER. I would not stress out over that.

If you are playing in multiple locations, you could either use Netplay or go with Head to Head with using TeamViewer when multiple players are in different locations.

Dave

(in reply to hornetkv)
Post #: 2
RE: Starting a 4 player Game - 6/6/2020 1:10:37 AM   
hornetkv

We are trying to start an internet game.

(in reply to davidachamberlain)
Post #: 3
RE: Starting a 4 player Game - 6/6/2020 1:18:00 AM   
hornetkv

We are atttempting net play. However we can only get two people in game. We have 4 total and wish to begin a game without team viewer. The instructions make it seem like the game is capable of doing so but we can not figure out how.

(in reply to hornetkv)
Post #: 4
RE: Starting a 4 player Game - 6/7/2020 3:07:40 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: hornetkv

We are attempting net play. However we can only get two people in game. We have 4 total and wish to begin a game without team viewer. The instructions make it seem like the game is capable of doing so but we can not figure out how.

The program currently supports 2 players for NetPlay.

Support for 4 players is a future goal, but not any time soon.

I think you might be able to arrange something with 2 players on a side, even if all 4 players are in different locations (e.g., cities). I haven't given this much thought, but it could go something like this:

1 - Assign a team leader for each side who actually inputs the decisions for both players on his side.

2 - The team leaders would be playing via NetPlay.

3 - All 4 players would need to be available during each game sessions, although the team leader could make decisions for his side if his teammate were not available for a session (or part of a session).

4 - All players would communicate via Skype (or Zoom, or ...). Note that this communication would be completely separate from the program playing the game.

5 - Teammates would communicate via Skype (I think you can direct messages to individual people, muting what is sent to the other players).

6 - For visual information, it would be up to the team leader to establish a separate computer connection to his teammate to be able to 'show' him screens. Skype allows for displaying your computer screen to other people.

7 - Between sessions, the non-teamleaders would want to receive a copy of the saved game file (GAM) which they could then review fully.

8 - Sending GAM files to non-teamleaders during a session is feasible - but it might not be worth the effort.

I find reviewing the GAM files between playing sessions to be of tremendous help. It lets me plan out what I am going to do (e.g., production, and all my moves when I am going to be the phasing side at the start of the next session). This makes play during a game session move along much faster.

Take all this as deserving no more than the 10 minutes of thought I have put into it.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to hornetkv)
Post #: 5
RE: Starting a 4 player Game - 6/7/2020 3:21:07 PM   
davidachamberlain

At this point, if you need to have multiple payers on the same side playing with separate locations, something like Teamviewer or other web meeting type programs is your only option.

As Steve mentioned, Netplay only supports 2, at this time. Supporting 4 or more is a lower priority than the other updates which include single map campaign games, optional rules, and potentially AI.

I have been using the Teamviewer option for a few years now and it works pretty well both when using Netplay or Head-to-Head with 2 players for each of Axis and Allies.

We have 4 people in 4 different locations in 3 different cities.

We stared with Netplay, but now use Head-to-Head since there have been some glitches where an undo might result in different versions of the game for each side. If detected immediately, it can be corrected, but otherwise, going back later can be a challenge.

Dave

(in reply to hornetkv)
Post #: 6
RE: Starting a 4 player Game - 6/7/2020 5:50:12 PM   
paulderynck

Recently Teamviewer started requiring a paid license for connections of greater than two people. Maybe not a problem if you have yet to upgrade to its latest version?

Paul

Post #: 7
RE: Starting a 4 player Game - 6/9/2020 8:00:08 PM   
davidachamberlain

I have not seen that yet, but it does kick us off after about 3 hours.

I believe that we are at a recent version, but will watch for this. I guess, worst case, we can try Skype.

Dave

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 8
RE: Starting a 4 player Game - 6/9/2020 8:20:19 PM   
jesperpehrson

We are using discord and share screens, works quite well

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> Starting a 4 player Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI