Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Administrative strain - thoughts and ideas

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Administrative strain - thoughts and ideas Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Administrative strain - thoughts and ideas - 6/24/2020 10:17:41 AM   
Ekaton

I like the concept of administrative strain, it makes things more realistic and forces you to build more zones. I can't say I agree with everything though.

1) I believe that neither bureaucratic facilities nor LIS affect it in any way. That's not very realistic. More bureaucrats should mean better ability to manage things while having a lot of LIS between the zone capital and facilities should ease the strain. It's not that difficult to manage facilities that are even 1500 km away if you can reach them reasonably fast (rail comes to mind). As we have Vid Com, it shouldn't be that bad either.
2) I would love to see more strain even if buildings are not far - managing state economy is hard, especially if you don't have the bureaucratic manpower, and even if you do, it's difficult to prevent corruption, theft, or waste.
3) Logistics facilities shouldn't count. Having to create zones in the middle of nowhere because some small truck depots are necessary along the way isn't realistic or fun. It also makes no sense that all facilities suddenly drop their production levels severely because the zone includes some depots far away.

I need ten females for each male...
Post #: 1
RE: Administrative strain - thoughts and ideas - 6/24/2020 12:16:20 PM   
zgrssd

1) Admin Strain currently affects production output. I am only 50% sure it negatively impacts BP and Truck Point Production.
Also just being remote is an issue. There was this one case where they had to debug while Oil-Rig was not longer talking to the management software. Once someone drove out they found out why: Because it was on fire!

2) That seems like a nerf to public production. Wich howeveer is nesesary, given that pivate production is "meh" at best.

3) To my knowledge the severity of the strain is based on distances, the tier of the outside asset and Tiers of Asssets inside the 6 Hex range. So a T1 Truckstop in the wild will not cause massive Admin strain.

(in reply to Ekaton)
Post #: 2
RE: Administrative strain - thoughts and ideas - 6/24/2020 12:32:22 PM   
Ekaton

1) It doesn't impact BP or Truck Points, that's true, but my point is that facilities that have a lot of LIS shouldn't count that much towards the strain, even if they're beyond 6 hexes. Remoteness is an issue, but if you have a mine that's right by one of the main rail lines in the country, it shouldn't be that much of a problem.
3) I am fighting several wars in my current game, so I need quite a few truck stops about 15-20 hexes from the nearest town or more. The strain added up and I had to create several new zones. Plus, resources are really scarce so mines are often very far from towns, necessitating more zonea.

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: Administrative strain - thoughts and ideas - 6/24/2020 12:56:54 PM   
Falke

I do not see why more LIS would reduce strain, if anything it would increase it.

More LIS = More Trucks = More paperwork to manage = More Admin > Greater strain , not less.

Why truck stops so close? Sealed Road+ Lvl1 supply base = 30 Hex range. I only have 15-20 hex at beginning of the game when IP is scarce.

(in reply to Ekaton)
Post #: 4
RE: Administrative strain - thoughts and ideas - 6/24/2020 1:13:11 PM   
Ekaton

A lot of dunes + no fuel + very low pop. I've only recently become able to build enough sealed roads. Also, the largest map possible. Distances are mind-boggling.

LIS should impact it positively, as bureaucrats can easily travel to those facilities.

< Message edited by Ekaton -- 6/24/2020 1:14:07 PM >

(in reply to Falke)
Post #: 5
RE: Administrative strain - thoughts and ideas - 6/24/2020 3:11:23 PM   
76mm

I agree with the OP's points. Also, it seems like admin strain should drop more quickly once assets are shed by creating a new zone--now they are someone else's problem, effectively immediately, it seems like admin strain should drop more quickly.

(in reply to Ekaton)
Post #: 6
RE: Administrative strain - thoughts and ideas - 6/24/2020 3:13:53 PM   
zgrssd

Administrative strain is (and historicalyl always was) a incentive to build more cities.

Cities forming around mines, fortifications or transport hubs is a extremely common case. If you got a lot of assets very far away, it sounds like you should be having a new City/Zone there instead.

By your arguments, the GR should have had 0 issues running a entire planet from a single city. But clearly they build a lot of cities every so often, to keep the strain small.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 6/24/2020 3:14:48 PM >

(in reply to Ekaton)
Post #: 7
RE: Administrative strain - thoughts and ideas - 6/24/2020 4:07:38 PM   
Falke

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ekaton

LIS should impact it positively, as bureaucrats can easily travel to those facilities.

Ease of travel is not the issue. That they have to travel is the issue, the more time they spend travelling, the less time they get to actually work. Bureaucrats are going to want travel time to count as work time.

(in reply to Ekaton)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> Suggestions and Feedback >> Administrative strain - thoughts and ideas Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI