Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"w" key pointers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> "w" key pointers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"w" key pointers - 4/9/2020 9:41:54 PM   
Freedom205

Anyone care to share their use of the "w" key? How do you determine how many times to hit the "w" key (pulses) per unit? etc. With differing movement rates and terrain movement costs is their an easy way to coordinate multi unit movements using the "w" key?
Post #: 1
RE: "w" key pointers - 4/10/2020 1:24:17 AM   
bcgames

Great question! As in all things combat--It Depends on the Situation (DOTS). Some initial thoughts.

Zones of Action. Don't put yourself (or your units) in a position where you need to use the Wait key. Each of these echelons of command need to operate in their own zone of action. Mixing commands/organizations will degrade combat effectiveness.

- Corps
- Division
- Brigade/Regiment

The Wait Command Conditions:

Move Plus vs Normal Supply. Mixing organizations--no zones of action--can result in organizations with different supply states trying to operate in the same maneuver space. This amplifies the difficulties in de-conflicting movements using the Wait key. Keep units in the zones of action you "design mentally" and maintain during game play.

Like Type vs Like Type. De-conflicting units of the same type and same state of supply is easy because they have the same movement factor. Operational design and zones of action keep like-things together (i.e same movement factor). Now you can de-conflict 1 movement factor at a time...x unit requires 3 MFs to move into and the through a given hex before unit y (adjacent to the given hex) can move into that hex to stay...or go beyond.

- Recce: 18 MF
- Motorized/Mechanized/Armor 15 MF
- Leg Infantry/Engineers 8 F

The Enemy Gets a Vote. After you've completed your cunning plan, the enemy can still throw a monkey wrench into the works.

- Air/Naval/Special Ops Interdiction
- Air/Naval/Artillery Ground Attack
- Enemy Ground Movement

C'est l'guerre.

(in reply to Freedom205)
Post #: 2
RE: "w" key pointers - 4/10/2020 11:39:24 AM   
Freedom205

thanks, very helpful

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 3
RE: "w" key pointers - 4/17/2020 10:06:33 PM   
Freedom205

From my limited experience, I have found it is not possible to achieve a coordinated moving attack using the "w" key. If I make sure 2 unit end of at a destination hex with the same number of remaining movement points, they still attack 1 at a time. ie., not coordinated. I don't have an issue with that, as I can see how it was really close to impossible to pull off in real life. I just was frustrated trying to pull it off, and it never quite came together. Now I use the w key for avoiding traffic jams, not trying to make coordinated moving attacks.

btw, love the game.

(in reply to Freedom205)
Post #: 4
RE: "w" key pointers - 4/18/2020 2:20:59 AM   
bcgames

Saint Ruth needs to confirm or deny this but I think Moving Attacks are "self-coordinating"; friendly units attempting to enter an enemy occupied hex will wait until all friendly units are in position before the attacks is resolved.

The Wait command was created to help the player de-conflict movement/reduce the possibility of traffic jams. I never tried to use it to de-conflict move-to-attack commands. Certainly an interesting capability to add.

(in reply to Freedom205)
Post #: 5
RE: "w" key pointers - 4/18/2020 1:29:19 PM   
Freedom205

What I had been trying, was to have units end up in the same hex, with the same number of movement points remaining. (trying to ensure they would enter the hex at the same time) I just couldn't get it to work out. I made sure they has the same experience, because I figured out movement costs go up when entering enemy ZOCs, and that better troops expended fewer movement points. Still I just couldn't get them to coordinate an attack. Each would attack by itself. (though they would all end up with the same remaining movement points. Now that I have decided it can't be done, I am no longer frustrated.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 6
RE: "w" key pointers - 4/20/2020 6:00:10 AM   
bcgames

If I understand what you are attempting to do, here are some thoughts:

1. Don't use the Move-to-Attack command if you don't know what's in front of you. Use the Move command to get your stack/stacks adjacent to the enemy during Game Turn X (GT X) so they are in position to attack as a consolidated group at the beginning of GT Y. This method minimizes ambushes and unexpected/undesirable low odds attacks.

2. Do use your recon to figure out what is in front of you--"recon pull". If you discover a weak spot with your recce you've found a good place to employ a Move-to-Attack. Pour on the gas! If your recce has gone deep enough without contact, you may have the opportunity to take full advantage of a Move+ Road Mode without fear of ambush.

3. Plotting Moves-to-Attack in this game is less about the precision of movement and combat factor counting found in traditional IGOUGO game systems and more about controlling the collisions created by a WEGO system. Experiment with ways to best collide gracefully (trying to maximize getting to the best place, at the best time, with the best odds)--and your game play will improve dramatically.

4. Never forget--The Enemy Gets a Vote. Your perfect plan--isn't. Master the chaos!

(in reply to Freedom205)
Post #: 7
RE: "w" key pointers - 8/9/2020 11:07:47 PM   
Okayrun3254

How do you give the attack but do not advance after attack command to a unit or a stack?

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 8
RE: "w" key pointers - 8/9/2020 11:46:15 PM   
bcgames

To order an attack no advance, place the cursor over the red attack arrow then press the O key twice.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Okayrun3254)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> "w" key pointers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI