Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Create a wargame

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Create a wargame Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Create a wargame - 7/28/2020 3:04:13 PM   
MagicMissile

Hello,

I am hoping there might be one or two game designers reading these forums if there is not I might post in a specific game forum.

My question is simple but maybe the answer is not .

If I want to create my own computer game

1) What programming language would be best to learn
2) With decent intelligence (I hope) but no Enstein how long would it take to learn programming well enough to have the level of mastery to try and design your own game?
3) Where/how would you start to learn programming? I am too old for univeristy.

Grateful for any kind of answers,

Thanks in advance

/MM

Post #: 1
RE: Create a wargame - 7/28/2020 3:30:22 PM   
sanch

1. Traditionally, C and/or C++. But C# and java are becoming more common.
2. Realistically, years. Mastering UI alone takes a lot of learning, not to mention all the other parts.
3. Search online. There are good tutorials out there. For example, I learned jave from these tutorials.

(in reply to MagicMissile)
Post #: 2
RE: Create a wargame - 7/28/2020 3:37:07 PM   
Zorch

You could contact a game company and see what skills they want in developers...

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 3
RE: Create a wargame - 7/28/2020 3:59:24 PM   
Curtis Lemay

After you learn to program, you would need to apprentice under a veteran game designer - none of whom are going to take on a novice.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 4
RE: Create a wargame - 7/28/2020 5:40:05 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

Try modding something first, ideally something that allows you to tweak the model etc so you can both see how the game hangs together and also see how changes impact it.

Java is not a first tier gaming language. C(++)/C# are. But some games use Lua or Python as their scripting languages.

Choice depends on whether you want to build the whole thing (e.g. engine from the ground up), just the game (e.g. in say Unity or Unreal or something higher level), or just tinker with game ideas in a specific genre (try modding, e.g. BA/FOG2 if that is the kind of game flow that works can allow you to tinker with the model scripting).

But it's not a quick thing :)

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 5
RE: Create a wargame - 7/28/2020 5:58:40 PM   
ernieschwitz

I agree with Pip. You should probably start with Modding. You can start pretty easily doing this with games designed especially for it. TOAW or Advanced Tactics Gold are prime candidates. Each allowing some sort of control of what you do, but without having to learn to code from the ground up.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 6
RE: Create a wargame - 7/28/2020 10:44:48 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

I agree with Pip. You should probably start with Modding. [...]

That or something "smaller" than a game for a start, e.g. a simple game editor to edit a game's save files or a similar game-related small project...

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 7
RE: Create a wargame - 7/29/2020 6:12:19 AM   
Angiel

Try Construct 2 or 3. I have programmed several wargames on it (it is simple to use and there is also a demo version). Search for tutorials on youtube.

General Napoleon's La Haye Sante scenario ..... the last game I created.

< Message edited by Angiel -- 7/29/2020 6:18:02 AM >

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 8
RE: Create a wargame - 7/29/2020 6:44:22 PM   
ncc1701e

First, I would suggest to learn to draw pixels. Just try to do your own counters. Then learn the graphics to create a map. This part is entertaining.
Second, learn C#. Take an engine like Godot or Unity. There are very tight to C#. Easy to program a game with this.

I prefer Godot to Unity but it's more a matter of taste.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to Angiel)
Post #: 9
RE: Create a wargame - 7/29/2020 8:15:29 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

Try modding something first, ideally something that allows you to tweak the model etc so you can both see how the game hangs together and also see how changes impact it.

This was my first thought. You can look up games that are open source (source code freely available), study the code, chat with developers involved with those games, ask them recommendations, take part on game development as scenario designer, script writer, translator (to other languages)... Such wargames I can name are Battle for Wesnoth and MegaMek.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 10
RE: Create a wargame - 8/3/2020 7:37:54 PM   
MagicMissile

Thank you all for your advice. We will see if anything comes out of it in 10-15 years or so .

/MM

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 11
RE: Create a wargame - 8/6/2020 11:16:20 AM   
wodin

Don't expect to make a full time career out of wargames. Unless you develop a Panzer Korps with it's mainstream appeal\buyers, which is rare as hens teeth, see it as a hobby.

(in reply to MagicMissile)
Post #: 12
RE: Create a wargame - 8/6/2020 1:44:05 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

If you could create another Fornite or Minecraft kind of game with their followings, you might actually live off that

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 13
RE: Create a wargame - 8/8/2020 2:33:59 AM   
Grotius

If you know you'll be making a 2D game -- and that's probably a good idea for a first project -- you might try Game Maker Studio 2, which is designed specifically for 2D games. It has a one-month free trial, and even a few days with that will give you a sense of what GMS can do. After that you have to pay $75 or more for a license, depending on the platform you're targeting. I got my Windows license on sale for $50.

GMS2 comes with a "drag n drop" mode that I've never tried; I recommend using Game Maker Language (GML) instead. GML has a C-like structure, and it comes with a beautiful IDE (integrated development environment) that is easier and more fun to use than Godot or Unity, in my opinion. GMS2 is known for indie pixel-art games, but it's perfectly possible to make high-rez 2D games with it. "Spelunky" is one of the better-known titles developed with GMS2. The new GMS2 beta has lots of new object-oriented features, like structs and constructors, plus some new animation features and such. But first things first -- try the free trial. Linkage: https://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker

I was actually about to post a similar question to yours, as I've now created 3 or 4 games with GMS2 and I'd like to try my hand at a wargame. But I think I'll post in my own thread so as not to clutter up this one. Good luck!

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Create a wargame Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote