Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

One Way To Run a Balky WitE under Steam/Windows 10

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> One Way To Run a Balky WitE under Steam/Windows 10 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
One Way To Run a Balky WitE under Steam/Windows 10 - 8/19/2020 9:14:52 PM   
laesta

Posting this in case it benefits others experiencing the same issue.

I have the misfortune to be one of the few unable to run WitE as installed via Steam under Windows 10. As other posts have discussed, the issue appears to be related to administrator privileges in my PC’s environment. I’d rather not run Steam or any game full-time elevated to administrator level nor use a Windows 10 administrator account for gaming purposes. Unfortunately to be able to enjoy WitE, it appears I must compromise. Through a bit of trial and error, here is the approach I’m using to run this game.

Specs:
- Windows 10 Home, version 1909
- Recent NVIDIA graphics drivers installed (though not necessarily the very latest release)
- Standard Win10 user account
- Latest Steam app binary installed
- WitE Version 1.12.05 Beta installed (opted into the Beta via Steam)
- In the ..->Program Files->steamapps->common->Gary Grigsby’s War in the East->Dat folder, I renamed the video subfolder to suppress playing of the intro movies.

Approach:
1) Exit Steam application and all its child processes. (Task Manager comes in handy to verify all related processes gracefully terminated. If not, kill any that linger.)
2) Launch File Explorer and navigate to ..->Program Files->steamapps->common->Gary Grigsby’s War in the East
3) Double click on the WarInTheEast executable file to run it directly (Note: no changes have been made to any Compatibility settings on the file)
4) Provide the Windows 10 Administrator password for the elevated security prompt
5) Steam will launch and prompt for a login password. Provide it.
6) WitE main game menu window displays. At that point, the game runs for me.
7) Upon finishing and exiting the game, numerous Steam processes linger in the background. I open Task Manager, scroll down to the Steam Login process, right click, and select End task. That’s usually sufficient to also kill off any lingering Steam Client WebHelper processes.
8) I launch Steam normally and log back into it to be able to enjoy my other games.

Hope this helps.
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> One Way To Run a Balky WitE under Steam/Windows 10 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI