Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons based in lagoons in South Pacific?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons based in lagoons in South Pacific? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons base... - 9/2/2020 9:46:25 PM   
Grotius

Hi all,

I'm trying to learn more about seaplane use in WW2 in the Pacific, in particular floatplanes and flying boats based in lagoons or bays, although I'm certainly interested in ship-borne floatplanes too. I'm especially interested in what daily life was like for the pilots of those marvelous aircraft.

I've found a bit by googling and checking Amazon, but I'm surprised I'm not finding more. Can anyone point me to a good book or website on the topic? Or even a movie? Or maybe just share your own knowledge? Heck, I'd even be curious where you guys tend to base your seaplanes in WITP/AE. I'm interested in both sides' practice, but I'm especially interested in what life was like in and around Allied seaplanes.

Many thanks in advance!

< Message edited by Grotius -- 9/2/2020 9:48:30 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons ... - 9/2/2020 11:35:58 PM   
Platoonist

In addition to lagoons and bays, lakes were used whenever available.

Lake Tegano on Rennell Island just south of Guadalcanal was used as a flying boat base by both Japanese and American forces during the war. The island is a former atoll that was raised 400 feet above sea level by tectonic activity. The original lagoon then became a large brackish lake, Japanese Nakajima A6M2-N Rufe floatplanes operated out of the lake until US air and sea superiority made the base untenable. American PBY Catalinas used the lake as a base after 1943. A detachment from the 2nd Marines was sent from New Hebrides and arrived at Lake Tegano on 12 November 1942 to establish a lookout post

The US forces scuttled eight of their planes in the lake at the end of hostilities rather than take them home. Members of the local community attempted to retrieve one of the radial engines of the aircraft to use as a generator using only man-power. But it came to naught. The engine is still there in shallow water though.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 2
RE: Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons ... - 9/3/2020 12:45:09 AM   
Grotius

Platoonist, thanks for that terrific post. That's just the sort of info I was looking for. A lake makes sense -- protected water, and fresh water. Some floatplanes have trouble with big waves, I read somewhere.

I remember fighting over Rennel Island in either WITP or Uncommon Valor (maybe both?). But I've never looked at a map of it. What a striking layout.

Also, that photo is haunting!

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 3
RE: Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons ... - 9/3/2020 3:00:45 AM   
rustysi

You could also try looking for documentary's on the subject. I'm sure I've seen some, especially of the 'Black Cats'. Ya know, those that were guided by radar and patrolled the night skies.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 4
RE: Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons ... - 9/3/2020 4:54:10 AM   
Grotius

Good idea. I'll poke around.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 5
RE: Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons ... - 9/3/2020 5:20:22 AM   
WriterNotViking

If you're interested in a Dutch perspective, The Dutch Naval Air Force Against Japan by Tom Womack gives a pretty thorough account. It covers details about bases, doctrine, and equipment, and it describes the actions of the MLD from December 1941 through March 1942, when the Dutch surrendered. There are some nice old photographs, too.

Goodreads link

Dutch Dornier Do 24K at Soesterberg, the Netherlands.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by WriterNotViking -- 9/3/2020 5:32:20 AM >

Calm down, dear boy! We're writers, not Vikings...

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 6
RE: Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons ... - 9/3/2020 8:28:39 AM   
Buckrock

The VPNavy.org website contains a lot of details, including some anecdotal accounts of daily squadron life. It isn't the easiest website to navigate your way round though. The VP-23 page from the site will give you an example of what can be found there - https://www.vpnavy.com/vp23_1940.html

Also, Messimer's "In the Hands of Fate" is an excellent and very detailed account of PatWing 10's operations from the Philippines to Australia during the opening months of the war. It also meshes well with Womack's book on the Dutch flying boat operations mentioned earlier.

< Message edited by Buckrock -- 9/3/2020 8:59:28 AM >

This was the only sig line I could think of.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 7
RE: Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons ... - 9/3/2020 9:53:15 AM   
jdsrae

Here’s another one, a search for seaplane bases might throw up some details for lesser known places.
This reference has been a great distraction for me over the years, but I can’t read it now as I’ve got a turn to run!
https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/b/building-the-navys-bases.html

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Buckrock)
Post #: 8
RE: Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons ... - 9/3/2020 12:16:58 PM   
Ian R

Google "The black cats RAAF"

- you should get plenty of info on RAAF PBY ops over Indonesia, including the usual patrolling, mine-laying, and also special forces type ops.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Hi all,

I'm trying to learn more about seaplane use in WW2 in the Pacific, in particular floatplanes and flying boats based in lagoons or bays, although I'm certainly interested in ship-borne floatplanes too. I'm especially interested in what daily life was like for the pilots of those marvelous aircraft.

I've found a bit by googling and checking Amazon, but I'm surprised I'm not finding more. Can anyone point me to a good book or website on the topic? Or even a movie? Or maybe just share your own knowledge? Heck, I'd even be curious where you guys tend to base your seaplanes in WITP/AE. I'm interested in both sides' practice, but I'm especially interested in what life was like in and around Allied seaplanes.

Many thanks in advance!

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 9
RE: Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons ... - 9/3/2020 6:41:30 PM   
Grotius

Wow, thanks for all those terrific links, guys. I found a couple of page-turner accounts in a couple of those links. Just the kind of thing I was looking for. Among other things, I'm curious what it was like to do a long patrol and a "Dumbo" air-to-sea rescue in a PBY. Some real heroics there -- landing in 12 foot swells to rescue sailors stranded at sea, and so forth.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 10
RE: Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons ... - 9/4/2020 12:08:43 AM   
spence

Check out different squadrons on the VPNavy website. I know that I have seen some photos of PBMs and other float planes riding at anchor at some lagoon but can't remember which squadrons (the linked squadron doesn't have any of the photos I remember seeing). Go to the squadron history section in the 1940-49 sections for each squadron (there are a 200 or so squadrons).

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 11
RE: Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons ... - 9/4/2020 6:56:47 PM   
Grotius

Will do. Lagoons, yay! Thanks!

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 12
RE: Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons ... - 9/5/2020 12:23:01 AM   
fcooke

there's also a pretty well known story of I think a Kingfisher picking up so many downed avaitors that it could not take off and taxied on the water back out to the fleet. There were guys sitting on the wings. Plane got trashed in the process but the guys were rescued.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Only slightly off-topic: Allied seaplane squadrons based in lagoons in South Pacific? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI