Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Recon result and mines not exploding (Pic inside)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Recon result and mines not exploding (Pic inside) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recon result and mines not exploding (Pic inside) - 9/20/2020 6:21:30 PM   
Alpha77

Hi, here is a pic from my recon... all nice and fine 10/10. But I wonder what the 16 enemy units means? Because if I mouse over the unit icon it says 4 units What is true and also why only 4 units are reported when mouse hovers over unit symbol?

Also what is the deal with IJN mines? I have at a location over 600 mines (mostly Type93 but also some smaller numbers of T4 and T88). I know that often bombardement fleets hit no mines for some reason - but my opponent sails happily with PT and also a cruiser fleet in the hex and also transits hex to another one. But the last boom heard there must be almost 2 weeks ago. 600 mines are a lot I would think The location is my own btw. and a had 2 AMCs to tend at least a portion of the mines. There were between 500-600 mines at times the Allied fleets (repeatedly) were in the hex..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/20/2020 6:28:42 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Recon result and mines not exploding (Pic inside) - 9/20/2020 7:34:09 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Hi, here is a pic from my recon... all nice and fine 10/10. But I wonder what the 16 enemy units means? Because if I mouse over the unit icon it says 4 units What is true and also why only 4 units are reported when mouse hovers over unit symbol?

Also what is the deal with IJN mines? I have at a location over 600 mines (mostly Type93 but also some smaller numbers of T4 and T88). I know that often bombardement fleets hit no mines for some reason - but my opponent sails happily with PT and also a cruiser fleet in the hex and also transits hex to another one. But the last boom heard there must be almost 2 weeks ago. 600 mines are a lot I would think The location is my own btw. and a had 2 AMCs to tend at least a portion of the mines. There were between 500-600 mines at times the Allied fleets (repeatedly) were in the hex..

That recon result just happened, and I think the mouseover data is not updated until the end of the turn.

Once minefields are detected by the enemy they rarely hit any mines unless they are trying to land troops. Minefields are tracked by date laid and the type and number of mines. It is better to have several smaller MFs than one big one because if an enemy ship strikes a mine in one MF, only that one is detected, not the rest of them.

Also, if his bombardment TFs are standing off shore 15K yards, they are less likely to hit a mine. The game seems to treat the MF location as likely to be closer to shore. 600 mines in a hex of 1256 square nautical miles is not much.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 2
RE: Recon result and mines not exploding (Pic inside) - 9/22/2020 1:30:56 AM   
geofflambert

The most likely ships to hit mines are the minesweepers who are sweeping them. I think most players keep their subs out of enemy ports with minefields.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Recon result and mines not exploding (Pic inside) - 9/22/2020 1:24:01 PM   
Alpha77

Seems issue 1 is resolved I have now 8/10 left and the ground unit symbol mouse over shows now 18 units. Seems the 2 results now were merged into 1. With perhaps units arriving or leaving the base hex.

Issue 2 these are not bombardement fleets, there were eg. bigger surface combat fleets that went into the mined hex and sank severall of my ships. Right now again an enemy sub is parked right in the hex.. one would think these mines would offer some protection..there is an AAR by a ranting Austrian who also reported the same issue btw. He also talks about some kind of "overflow" error when huge numbers are involved. Perhaps the mines will work again if the number gets lower :) Contrary to logic ... I would not even mention this if it were below 200 mines or so, but 600... such big fields are not the norm.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/22/2020 1:43:38 PM >

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 4
RE: Recon result and mines not exploding (Pic inside) - 9/22/2020 3:23:09 PM   
RangerJoe

The minefields should be protecting the base. They would be located in the approaches to the base, not scattered all over.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 5
RE: Recon result and mines not exploding (Pic inside) - 9/22/2020 11:31:39 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

The minefields should be protecting the base. They would be located in the approaches to the base, not scattered all over.

Correct. If you set your bombardment distance to 10,000 yds (6 miles), you are going to be WAY outside of any port minefield. And if someone did set a minefield out that far, the probability of running into it is fairly small, the dissipation factor high, and so again, essentially no effect.

Pax

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 6
RE: Recon result and mines not exploding (Pic inside) - 9/23/2020 1:01:00 AM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

Correct. If you set your bombardment distance to 10,000 yds (6 miles), you are going to be WAY outside of any port minefield. And if someone did set a minefield out that far, the probability of running into it is fairly small, the dissipation factor high, and so again, essentially no effect.

I have read annectotal evidence in this forum, that ships transiting a mined hex are more in danger of hitting mines. And my opponent did this some times, mostly with PTs tho. He also moved a small fleet with 1 CL and 5-6 DDs so near to the shore that even 40mm shot at my airfields / units (one can see that in the replay) the damage from these few and weak ships (the CL was only a Brits C-class!) was out of proportion imho. As if every 40mm Bofors could reach the airfields maybe located 10km from the beach. One of my Tojo units for example had morale 50 left and half the planes damaged. Guess he set the distance to 3 or 4. Or even 1 This was an expendable kind of force, as also the DDs were old ones (like 4 stackers etc.)

Of course our mines and land batteries hit nothing serious, I believe 2 hits by coast guns on the CL. I have 1 base force with coast guns and the Wake unit there.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/23/2020 1:06:50 AM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 7
RE: Recon result and mines not exploding (Pic inside) - 9/23/2020 7:32:57 PM   
Moltrey

I haven't played that many games as the Allies, but I am already well on my way to lowering expectations where mines/minelaying is concerned in WITP:AE.
As Allies, you only have limited time to mine harbors and straits in the early days; this is compounded by the lack of mine availability. So far the distinct lack of payoff with minefields makes me wonder if it is worth putting your minelayer ships at risk.
Granted, there will likely be future sites for further minefields after the first month, but would the ships be better used in other roles?

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 8
RE: Recon result and mines not exploding (Pic inside) - 9/23/2020 7:53:24 PM   
RangerJoe

Lay the mines, then flee the DEI.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 9
RE: Recon result and mines not exploding (Pic inside) - 9/26/2020 5:35:14 PM   
Moltrey

quote:

Lay the mines, then flee the DEI.

To quote Carroll O'Conner in Kelly's Heroes... "I'm doin' it Booker!"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Recon result and mines not exploding (Pic inside) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI