Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Don't remember how to save turn files - (got a new computer)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Don't remember how to save turn files - (got a new computer) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Don't remember how to save turn files - (got a new comp... - 10/19/2020 4:09:15 AM   
spence

I just got a new computer because my old one died. In any case I have a couple of pbems going but I started the first one so long ago that I can't remember the steps I went through to save the wpae001.pws and its corresponding turn files the first time. My old computer used to put them in the proper folder all the time and all I remember doing is downloading the file. The computer would tell that the file already existed in a little box and then another would pop up asking if I wanted to replace the old file with the new one. I'd say yes and voila...except that with this new computer it didn't do things so automatically.

I have Windows 10 now but when I started the first of my pbems I had Windows 8

Post #: 1
RE: Don't remember how to save turn files - (got a new ... - 10/19/2020 3:02:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

I just got a new computer because my old one died. In any case I have a couple of pbems going but I started the first one so long ago that I can't remember the steps I went through to save the wpae001.pws and its corresponding turn files the first time. My old computer used to put them in the proper folder all the time and all I remember doing is downloading the file. The computer would tell that the file already existed in a little box and then another would pop up asking if I wanted to replace the old file with the new one. I'd say yes and voila...except that with this new computer it didn't do things so automatically.

I have Windows 10 now but when I started the first of my pbems I had Windows 8

Saving files should not be dependent on which version of Windows you are using - the game organizes that. I am guessing you have to tell the game where to save the game file first time. The save button is the disk icon on the upper left of the map screen, or you can use CTRL + S to save.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 2
RE: Don't remember how to save turn files - (got a new ... - 10/19/2020 3:25:47 PM   
Nomad

It probably is in your browser settings. You have to tell it to replace the existing file. Which web browser are you using Spence?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Don't remember how to save turn files - (got a new ... - 10/19/2020 4:24:34 PM   
spence

Firefox - I vaguely remember a screen or box that asked something like do this with with all pws files

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 4
RE: Don't remember how to save turn files - (got a new ... - 10/19/2020 9:44:32 PM   
Nomad

Firefox, been a long time since I used it. In the upper right there is a button with 3 horizonal lines. Press it and then press the options tab.
Scroll down a bit and you will see a section called Files and Applications. I always clicked on the button for Always ask you where to save files.

See if that will do as you want.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 5
RE: Don't remember how to save turn files - (got a new ... - 10/20/2020 12:18:41 AM   
moore4807

ok in the same vein of thought - does anyone know what file association I need for .pws files? Microsoft is saying it cannot find a suitable association - it wants me to change it to paint (and that doesn't work) I wasted 6 hours so far and I never had ANY problem with PBEM downloads before having to change over to this new computer.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 6
RE: Don't remember how to save turn files - (got a new ... - 10/20/2020 1:11:22 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: moore4807

ok in the same vein of thought - does anyone know what file association I need for .pws files? Microsoft is saying it cannot find a suitable association - it wants me to change it to paint (and that doesn't work) I wasted 6 hours so far and I never had ANY problem with PBEM downloads before having to change over to this new computer.

If that file is in the ART folder, it is one of the map files which you will not need to open - the game does that for you. You could name the game executable file to open it, I suppose.
Not sure about .pws files, but .pwx is database info for the maps so you could presumably name any database program to open it - but don't monkey with it lest you screw up your map.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 7
RE: Don't remember how to save turn files - (got a new ... - 10/20/2020 2:52:11 AM   
spence

I finally got it. I had to do the settings thing. Thanks for all the help.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Don't remember how to save turn files - (got a new ... - 10/20/2020 3:21:39 AM   
moore4807

I agree with your assessment BBfanboy - I've NEVER been asked for an association until I just loaded my laptop with the game.. got my PBEM turn and tried to download it - there is now a box below my Yahoo mail that opens and asks "What do you want to do with wpae001? (and wpae005 too) so I choose save to file. THATS where it gets screwy. It tells me "Cannot download wpae#001 need authorization" I've never seen this appear before, I went through Yahoo - they claim its Microsoft (no surprise there) Microsoft doesn't even recognize .pws files in Win10, So again I'm still agreeing with you..

Now I sent Microsoft a screenshot of my problem and I got what I consider a lightning fast response from them. "Expert assistance Matt" told me that I'm missing an authorization that can be found in my apps - he recommended Paint as .pws is a "video file" (really?) and used for business graphics.

So he sounded so positive I figured while he was so sure in chat, I'd give it a whirl... BAD move - now I get a Microsoft failure notice saying Paint is NOT the correct application to open .pws files...lol Suddenly Matt isn't so helpful and says he has to research something as he's never seen that happen before... (Yeah I bet you haven't..) anyway he soon disconnected from chat leaving me high and dry and finding out how to dis-associate my app from the file type on my own.

So I agree in 10 years of playing - I've NEVER needed to associate a file type to the .pws, much less the game - AND why do I suddenly need "authorization" to even download a file to my computer... That seems screwy in itself.

So I read Nomad's post with interest, figuring it may lead me to my answer... TY for the idea though - going back into the rabbit's hole now to investigate..

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Don't remember how to save turn files - (got a new ... - 10/20/2020 6:59:18 AM   
Chris21wen

I don't use web based email, got thunderbirds which allows drag and drop.

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 10
RE: Don't remember how to save turn files - (got a new ... - 10/22/2020 2:15:39 AM   
moore4807

Well I got my answer - 6 more hours of re-installing Windows10 to "remove" the apps and associations back to default. Then I had to reload ALL my games since re-install basically removed any keys and licenses I had for them...

Now I finally can download the PBEM files (pwae001.pws & pwae005.pws) to my SAVE file without needing authorizations or having to use backdoors to the downloads that work one day but not the next day.

I'm writing this in hopes of keeping somebody else from the aggravation. Back to the war!

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Don't remember how to save turn files - (got a new computer) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI