Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windows 8/8.1 and 10

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windows 8/8.1 and 10 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windows 8... - 8/3/2015 4:30:01 PM   
VPaulus

If you are having problems with War in the Pacific on Windows 8/8.1, please follow these steps for a workaround to get the game running:

1. Open the game installation folder, then click with the right mouse button on a file named War in the Pacific.exe and select Send to > Desktop (create shortcut)

2. Then click with the right mouse button on the new desktop shortcut and select Properties. In the target box add -deepColor at the end of the line. Click on Apply and OK.

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 4/3/2016 3:41:43 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windo... - 8/9/2015 2:42:46 PM   
Capt

Thanks. I had no trouble with WITP (original) under Windows 8.1 so long as I ran it in a window. Everything I try under Windows 10 does not work. The game scrolls and plays very, very slowly. There is a long discussion in the AE group about this but the switches they use do not help me.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 2
RE: War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windo... - 8/9/2015 3:03:47 PM   
VPaulus

Is it slow in Windows 10 even when running in a window?

(in reply to Capt)
Post #: 3
RE: War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windo... - 8/10/2015 10:11:28 PM   
Capt

Yes. WITP (original) is very, very, very slow in Windows 10 even running in a window. When I use the mini map to navigate I can click on the desired location and then wait 30 seconds for that location to come up on the main map.

Windows 8 and 8.1 are fine with WITP (original) but not Windows 10.

Reports from a friend are that AE works well under Windows 10 with just minor tweaking

"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)"

Jacky Fisher

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 4
RE: War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windo... - 10/10/2015 5:25:28 AM   
VI66_slith

I used the -deepColor line in Win7 and now in Win 10 and the game works perfectly. I run in either Win7 or 8 compatibility mode. This work around has saved me and this wonderful game. I've been playing since release. 11 years now! I don't much like WiTP:AE as it's too much for my old eyes and a bit more than I want to chew on. WiTP is just right for me.

"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton

(in reply to Capt)
Post #: 5
RE: War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windo... - 5/29/2016 6:45:17 PM   
kcbuster

I'm using windows 10. I added the "-deepColor" and it sped the game up quite a bit but I still have a bout a 3-5 second lag after every mouse click that makes the game just about unplayable. Any other Suggestions to speed the game up?

I would also like to upgrade to Admiral's edition but am afraid I'll have the same problem.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 6
RE: War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windo... - 5/30/2016 8:05:17 AM   
wdolson

With AE, the first patch added a lot of switches to help with the lags from the DirectX problem. The original WitP has none of this support.

If you have AE:

1) install it
2) then upgrade it to the latest patch
3) then edit the Quick Start short cut to add the switches. This thread covers all of them.

The version of AE that you get from Matrix is the original release that doesn't have support for the switches so you need to patch it.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to kcbuster)
Post #: 7
RE: War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windo... - 11/10/2016 12:38:52 AM   
johnjohn

This thread has all of them? Where? There is nothing here.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 8
RE: War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windo... - 11/10/2016 1:01:18 AM   
johnjohn

I have the AE Beta, loaded as an update the new version game load. The game is virtually unplayable, taking minutes between clicks. None of the suggested fixes have worked and I don't know how to fix the shortcut screen info. I did get the latest save from my old computer to load and work, but I don't have three hours to do what used to take 3 minutes. I am aware that my desktop is set to max, not 1280 by 780. When I force the machine to 1280 by 780, the game works no faster. I am extremely disappointed.

(in reply to johnjohn)
Post #: 9
RE: War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windo... - 11/28/2016 9:38:24 PM   
BPRE

Hi johnjohn,

I think you will find all the switches applicable for WitP mentioned in this thread but I believe you are trying to play WitP-AE and this is the wrong forum then.

Try searching the other forum but I can mention my experience after upgrading to Win 10. The game started to react really slow to cursor changes but after removing it and reinstalling it it's more or less normal again. This was WitP though so it might not apply to WitP-AE.

I know that another tip has been to install old DX9 on top of Win10. Try searching for the thread to get some more details about it.

Good luck
BPRE

(in reply to johnjohn)
Post #: 10
RE: War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windo... - 7/17/2018 1:04:58 PM   
wosung

WitP works perfectly with Win 10 using the VPaulus solution in post #1 above.

Just make sure you're modifiying the War in the Pacific.exe and not the War in the Pacific game menu autorun.exe.

(in reply to BPRE)
Post #: 11
New monitor installation in W10 - 5/20/2021 2:44:43 AM   
agm

I'm about to install a new, larger monitor for AE version 8.11.26a. The game has been running slowly in Windows 10 and I'm hoping the new monitor and some advice from this group about switches will speed it up. Thanks.
Andy

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 12
RE: New monitor installation in W10 - 5/31/2021 1:27:24 PM   
51st Highland Div

Trying to install after years of not playing but when running on the installer "Launcher Error could not start the setup" ??

https://i.ibb.co/SRBTPGK/hmsglasgowmatrix.jpg

The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Banner thanks to RogueUSMC

(in reply to agm)
Post #: 13
RE: War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windo... - 12/19/2021 4:07:59 PM   
WStriker

Here's what I found that works great for me on Windows 10 for WitP: AE

"C:\Matrix Games\War Plan Orange\autorun.exe" -altFont -archive -deepColor -px1280 -py1024 -SingleCpuOrders

It sped the game up greatly. I've tried it with War Plan Orange, but that game is still horrifyingly slow. I haven't found anything that will make it work yet, even the compatibility mode doesn't help.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> War in the Pacific base game - Workaround for Windows 8/8.1 and 10 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI