Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem - 3/19/2018 5:12:42 PM   
swirlypillow

Hi,

I have a weird issue with Distant Worlds: Universe (through Steam) where some of the menu item icons in the HUD will randomly disappear. I'm talking about the options icon, the Galactopedia '?' icon, the pause and speed icons, and all the central menu bar icons (but not the text box at the top). They will be visible when I start a new game, then after an indeterminate number of seconds the window is redrawn and everything flickers slightly, then those icons will disappear. If I mouse over the icon blank spaces after this happens, they will pop back into existence.

This issue seems to happen only on my desktop, which is running Windows 10 Education v. 1709, Asus ROG Strix 1080 card. Maybe nVidia driver related? On my laptop, which is running an integrated Intel HD Graphics 5500 chip, I still get the occasional 'redraw' flicker, but the icons do not disappear like they do on my desktop. Laptop is running Windows 10 Enterprise v. 1709.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem - 3/19/2018 5:28:12 PM   
zakblood

re test with all asus tools, eg (asus tool suite) either disabled on start up or removed / disabled etc

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 3/19/2018 5:29:14 PM >

(in reply to swirlypillow)
Post #: 2
RE: DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem - 3/19/2018 5:28:57 PM   
zakblood

load up all the backwards compatible bits windows 10 has, but not enabled or installed

make sure anything that comes with the game as a pre requisite is installed and working, to test, reinstall all that comes with the game as it will over write and fix any errors

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 3/19/2018 5:30:24 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem - 3/19/2018 5:30:55 PM   
zakblood

turn off as much and as many background task that aren't needed

as both version you mention come with more junk than anyone needs on a gaming system, that's why home was made for, anything else just has more junk any gaming system just doesn't need or use, pro is worse, both of your's are worse still

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 3/19/2018 5:32:29 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 4
RE: DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem - 3/19/2018 5:33:41 PM   
zakblood

some apps and programs need legacy parts and without them, can cause slight issue, so having them installed, and even not used helps backwards compatibility

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem - 3/19/2018 5:36:08 PM   
zakblood

turn off hard driver sleep and screensavers and power saving mode, all which can stop laptops causing errors and it cuts the pc down and stops apps and programs running, no matter how top end they are, you don't buy a Ferrari then cut off the fuel to save a few bob

Attachment (1)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 6
RE: DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem - 3/19/2018 5:37:36 PM   
zakblood

learn whats windows 10 home has and disable all the extra parts that in your's that you never need or use and hopefully then and only then it will work the same as a standard windows 10 pc

a clean install, loads more junk into startup than it needs, so clear it out and only run stuff you need every boot,

simple,

AV
steam
sound
video

nothing else should be there, as anything else is junk and only speeds up the app or program when launched, but isn't needed.

so no office, no fancy widgets, nothing

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 3/19/2018 5:40:40 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
RE: DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem - 3/19/2018 5:42:58 PM   
zakblood

here's a copy of mine, a standard windows 10 home 64bit test pc i use for game and net use

as the sound bit isn't needed, ive also disabled that on startup, as sound works without it loaded, as soon as sound is needed, it loads the part it self, same as office, or any other app and or program i use, but i don't have them loaded all the time to save a millisecond or so to speed up the app / program, and maybe cause a conflict with something that doesn't like it loaded 24/7

the least amount you have loaded, the better and the more free resources you will have and also less conflicts, good luck and welcome to the forum

and with steam, run it as admin and also try with the steam overlay off, some say it works with and others say it works better without, so try both

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 3/19/2018 5:47:55 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
RE: DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem - 3/19/2018 7:00:23 PM   
swirlypillow

You are not allowed to post links, emails or phone numbers for 7 days from the date of your tenth post.

go back? : : close window?

...this is what i get when i try to post a response.

< Message edited by swirlypillow -- 3/19/2018 7:02:36 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 9
RE: DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem - 3/21/2018 7:20:43 AM   
zakblood

yes sorry about that, it's a anti spam protection kicking in, as your new, but as soon as you get to a given date and post count, it comes off, you can always pm your reply and i'll answer it or post it for you, either way sorry about this

(in reply to swirlypillow)
Post #: 10
RE: DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem - 3/21/2018 10:07:21 AM   
VPaulus

@swirlypillow
I've add you to the list of trusted users. You can post now without restrictions.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 11
RE: DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem - 3/24/2021 12:34:03 PM   
zakblood

make sure you disable any overlay software, on windows 10 pc's, helps out loads with any game related install or crashing issues,...

like MSI Afterburner,
NVIDIA GeForce Experience Overlay,
AMD Overlay,
Discord Overlay etc,
Xbox overlay, this list goes on and on,.....

as any of these may interfere with the game.

install the game as admin and running the game as admin should setup the correct file permissions to run with most AV & firewall programs, some 3rd party poor ones may need to add a exception manually.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 12
RE: DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem - 3/24/2021 12:34:45 PM   
zakblood

Nvidia install guide included,...

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4491486

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers >> DW:U Icon 'Flickering' Problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI