Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A tough challenge vs AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> A tough challenge vs AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A tough challenge vs AI - 5/26/2021 11:23:10 AM   
Ekaton

I tried a rather tough challenge - a planet with very low population, tough climate, lots of dangerous wildlife and a lot of AI regimes. Super sized Morgana (I absolutely love this type) with severe violence, survival stress and alien life to be precise. Here are some thoughts and questions, 74 turns into the game.

Thoughts
1. This is really tough, both for me and the AI. At one point my neighbour major regime was almost swamped by free folk and local alien wildlife, about 30 turns into the game. Winning land is hard and requires a lot of small units.
2. Spreading around is so difficult because of the deadly combination of very low manpower and therefore a hard time building any sort of industry and spending thousands of IC just to cross nearby mountains.
3. Hardly any ruins and free settlements mean hardly any GR stuff.
4. I went with epic tech growth which might have been a mistake. Growth is painfully slow.
5. I love how strategically important oases are, though I’m not sure how important they are to the AI, since it doesn’t bother about them too much. Also, despite literally starting next to a large body of water, AI is building wind traps instead of moving a few hexes to the nearest source of water. Another one builds wind traps despite having its starting city bordering a large lake. For some reason they build bio-fuel refineries despite oil being incredibly abundant.
6. Starting in the middle of the map put me at a heavy disadvantage due to harsh climate compared to other areas and quite far from the nearest oasis, which are concentrated in the north and south.
7. Logistics are even more difficult than usual due to manpower shortages. It’s hard to get enough workers to fully man all the truck stations.
8. The game could really use POW tracking and adding them to your manpower, at least some of them.

Questions
1. AI armies are quite big, too big for their small populations and weak industries (they have a lot of tanks while I can’t build more than a few battalions due to IC being needed for roads first and foremost). Are AI regimes constricted by their populations? In the world of my game a city of 100,000 is pretty respectable, the largest I’ve seem having 137,000. Two of my neighbours are currently engaged in a complete slugfest, while I’m shelling both sides from my well entrenched mountain border. Is there a possibility that they will eventually suffer manpower shortages that I, with my comparably lower manpower base, will be able to exploit? Will manpower shortages affect AI economy?
2. So far I haven’t seen AI crossing mountain ranges. I use these as borders, out of necessity, since I can’t really cross many at any one time. Will the AI have to pay a heavy price to build a road over them should it go to war with me? I remember reading that AI gets dirt roads for free, is that the case? It sounds like it could be potentially very unfair for the player, if they can get for free what for me is a multi-turn challenge.

< Message edited by Ekaton -- 5/26/2021 11:26:26 AM >

I need ten females for each male...
Post #: 1
RE: A tough challenge vs AI - 5/26/2021 11:34:02 AM   
zgrssd

1. The AI is able and willing to drain every last population out of cities to maintain the Army.
If you conquer AI cities, they often have close to 0 non-Worker population. And not a very solid worker count either - the entire rest was drafted.
The Economy will collapse from lack of manpower before the Frontline will! Your goal should be to capture the cities before the AI wastes the entire manpower in a futile struggle.

2. According to the Manual, the logistics rules for Major AI's are:
- Free Dirt Road construction
- Free Logistical Points and AP Range on its Cities
However a recent change made the AI less willing to use that rule, so it will not spam those roads carelessly anymore.

quote:

It sounds like it could be potentially very unfair for the player, if they can get for free what for me is a multi-turn challenge.

It is a game AI. So it can not even formulate or follow the most basic of multi-turn plans.
All bonuse the AI has exist to offset that fact.

< Message edited by zgrssd -- 5/26/2021 11:35:06 AM >

(in reply to Ekaton)
Post #: 2
RE: A tough challenge vs AI - 5/28/2021 7:22:57 PM   
bvoid

Nearly every game I also observe the AI collapsing because they mismanage their economy.

You just gotta do a fighting retreat and hold on until it happens. The fighting part is actually quite fun, but it ends up feeling hollow.

I said "nearly" above - the exception being if the AI zergs the whole planet and you are the last guy left.

< Message edited by bvoid -- 5/28/2021 7:24:54 PM >

(in reply to zgrssd)
Post #: 3
RE: A tough challenge vs AI - 6/1/2021 10:35:01 AM   
BlueTemplar

Yeah, I'm in process of a desperate blitzkrieg to try to prevent the top major from getting 50% victory score :

(Goddamn arty + infantry group came out of nowhere, (just before spies gave me recon), and cut off my supply lines...)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BlueTemplar -- 6/1/2021 10:39:12 AM >

(in reply to bvoid)
Post #: 4
RE: A tough challenge vs AI - 6/1/2021 10:36:47 AM   
BlueTemplar

And I can't really push on my immediate enemy because he's *also* holding off the top major !

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 5
RE: A tough challenge vs AI - 6/1/2021 10:37:43 AM   
BlueTemplar

(I don't think that the AI is collapsing, but I haven't really looked into it...)

(in reply to BlueTemplar)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Shadow Empire >> A tough challenge vs AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI