Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gibraltar and Malta

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Gibraltar and Malta Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gibraltar and Malta - 12/13/2020 5:23:06 PM   
canuckgamer

I've played 3 PBEM games as the Allies and in each game I placed an AA unit in Gibraltar and Malta. In the last game I even researched AA to level 5. Since you cannot stack in this game it is impossible to base a fighter in Malta like they had historically. In all three games the Axis player did not declare Vichy and bombed both places until the AA unit was destroyed.

I am wondering if other players have had more success garrisoning Gibraltar and Malta with something like an infantry corps or even an army?

For me this situation highlights two major flaws in the SC series. Specifically the lack of even limited stacking and ground units being destroyed by air attacks. Adding limited stacking would I think have a major effect on SCWAW in the Pacific where you have small islands. I haven't purchased SCWAW because of this.
Post #: 1
RE: Gibraltar and Malta - 12/13/2020 7:18:16 PM   
El_Condoro

IMO and experience, it is impossible to defend Malta against a determined and skilled Axis attack. If the Axis player sends all his air units and has the Italian BBs to support them, the AD unit will be destroyed in 2-3 turns, depending on the weather, and then he can choose to invade the island or drop paratroops on it. Bringing in the RN and ACs to support Malta will just result in ships on the bottom of the sea and a slight delay. IIRC this is perhaps more historically accurate - IRL Malta was able to hold out because the Germans diverted resources elsewhere and Hitler didn't think it was worth the effort (but I might be wrong about that).

(in reply to canuckgamer)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Gibraltar and Malta Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI