Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to Improve Graphics esp 3d?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> How to Improve Graphics esp 3d? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to Improve Graphics esp 3d? - 10/10/2020 8:06:40 AM   
skc

I've recently bought JTCS and am beginning to enjoy its potential, however I find the graphic interface quite bland and dated. (I did find what appears to be a nice mod for 2d, however what I am querying is re 3D mode)

Query
(1) Can one use a graphics program, and how does one do this, to create tanks, guns, trucks etc more as they looked, and not so 'generic.' (or has someone already done that and what Links?)
(2) Is there a way to Zoom more in, in 3d Mode? then pressing '1?' i.e. Can this be changed somewhere in the config file? (as can be done in Fog2.)

I guess I am particular with the 'look and feel' of a game. e.g. by removing hex sides and unit bases, its already beginning to look more like a tabletop version! (but then of course, harder to find the units!)

Thanks in Advance.
Post #: 1
RE: How to Improve Graphics esp 3d? - 10/13/2020 1:23:14 PM   
Hellway

I am also sensitive to this "touch", I prefer to play "old version" games to avoid the windowed side of JTCS and use the classic command bar. Unfortunately, I never found any system to avoid the 1 = zoom except by using the menu (much less convenient) nor any mods with other 3D or 2D graphics (very respectable at the time). The same goes for Napoleon or civilwar campaigns by the same author, which are and remain even more graphically dated even in their current versions (JTCS). Good luck

(in reply to skc)
Post #: 2
RE: How to Improve Graphics esp 3d? - 10/13/2020 2:18:56 PM   
skc

Thanks for coming back to me on this. I was also in touch with a modder who tells me that it is quite difficult to change the 'look and feel' and that little can be done. One thing I did try to make things more detailed was trying "Windows Magnifier" but it tends to play havoc with the Unit Screen, especially if one magnifies the entire screen.

(in reply to Hellway)
Post #: 3
RE: How to Improve Graphics esp 3d? - 10/13/2020 4:01:06 PM   
Rake

You can turn off hexsides... pretty sure there is a Hot Key and I believe there is a toggle in one of the drop-down menus. I'm not at my computer, so I cannot say which one but I believe it would be under view. Should also be a menu button also. I happen to prefer hexes on but I get it that others don't.

No, there is no greater zoom-in for 3d than Level 1. There are a few mods out there which change a few things, but I've found the standard 3D graphics are the best for me. I've played around a bit with modding, but I keep going back to the originals.

Future games will add some features and likely change some of the graphics. The engine is old and there is only so much that can be done. Still, I've been playing this since the early days of East Front/West Front and it's the only game that has continued to stay on my hard drive with every upgrade. Forget the looks; enjoy the game.

(in reply to skc)
Post #: 4
RE: How to Improve Graphics esp 3d? - 10/13/2020 8:07:00 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Future games will add some features and likely change some of the graphics.

That is correct. After Vietnam the WW2 games will be upgraded individually to the CSME and CSVN standards, including updated 3D

Look at the Vietnam forum for the current status of the graphics.

(in reply to Rake)
Post #: 5
RE: How to Improve Graphics esp 3d? - 10/14/2020 9:30:27 AM   
skc

Many thanks. I have found turning off the hexsides and unit bases makes it look more like a 'tabletop' game, but then for instance one cannot see troops as well. Anyway over all, the actual gameplay and what it has to offer, far outweighs graphics issues.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 6
RE: How to Improve Graphics esp 3d? - 10/14/2020 3:41:06 PM   
Jason Petho

You could redo the unit bases to reflect something more along the lines of a unit based that you'd find on table top pieces.

(in reply to skc)
Post #: 7
RE: How to Improve Graphics esp 3d? - 12/17/2020 4:47:21 PM   
Crossroads

How to mod Unit Bases is explained in detail here: Dev Diary #8 - 3D Unit Bases

Surprisingly easy, innit, so do share your results should you try something out!

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 8
RE: How to Improve Graphics esp 3d? - 12/18/2020 4:30:51 AM   
skc

Many thanks for all your feedback on this. Thanks 'Crossroads' Looks a nice resource.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> How to Improve Graphics esp 3d? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI