Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Recommend Surface Ships scenarios for new players?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Recommend Surface Ships scenarios for new players? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recommend Surface Ships scenarios for new players? - 12/23/2020 8:07:10 PM   
VonWulfen

Hi all.
I am looking for recommendations for new player friendly surface ship scenarios.
Ones that only feature a single or a small number of ships with associated helicopter/RHIB small boat assets.
I would be especially interested in UK Royal Navy units :)
Cheers :)
Post #: 1
RE: Recommend Surface Ships scenarios for new players? - 12/23/2020 8:13:20 PM   
thewood1

A simple one is Battle of Latakia from the standalone scenarios.

Also, First Contact series are good ones.

(in reply to VonWulfen)
Post #: 2
RE: Recommend Surface Ships scenarios for new players? - 12/23/2020 11:24:51 PM   
Tom Konczal

If you don’t mind waiting many hours for the enemy to open fire first, South of Crete was excellent. I just finished it with a major victory. Just make sure that your weapon systems are changed from hold tight to attack hostiles to defend against their first wave of missiles. The only Aircraft are P3s which are computer controlled and find some Russian subs for you to vector helicopters onto and stay with until the war starts. Quite an exciting scenario with a lot of anticipation building up to the start of the war. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 3
RE: Recommend Surface Ships scenarios for new players? - 12/23/2020 11:38:24 PM   
T Rav

Brief hijack ==

Thanks for the tip Tom. I'll give South of Crete a try after my current game.

Sorry Von Wulfen, back over to your thread.

(in reply to Tom Konczal)
Post #: 4
RE: Recommend Surface Ships scenarios for new players? - 12/23/2020 11:38:30 PM   
BeirutDude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Konczal

If you don’t mind waiting many hours for the enemy to open fire first, South of Crete was excellent. I just finished it with a major victory. Just make sure that your weapon systems are changed from hold tight to attack hostiles to defend against their first wave of missiles. The only Aircraft are P3s which are computer controlled and find some Russian subs for you to vector helicopters onto and stay with until the war starts. Quite an exciting scenario with a lot of anticipation building up to the start of the war. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Glad you enjoyed it!

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to Tom Konczal)
Post #: 5
RE: Recommend Surface Ships scenarios for new players? - 12/24/2020 3:01:41 AM   
stww2

I'll echo the First Contact scenarios as good options. They can also function as a sort of tutorial, showcasing how surface warfare has evolved over the course of the game's timeframe.

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 6
RE: Recommend Surface Ships scenarios for new players? - 12/24/2020 11:49:21 AM   
ultradave

STANAVFOR Atlantic Gets to Work, in the Community Scenario Pack, is a smallish manageable surface action. There are a couple of submarines involved, but your primary force is 5 or 6 surface ships from different navies, so it has an interesting variety of units to operate.

I second (or third) the series of First Contact scenarios. The STANAVFOR scenario ups things a bit with destroyers and one CG, with helicopters over the patrol boat actions of First Contact.

Dave

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to stww2)
Post #: 7
RE: Recommend Surface Ships scenarios for new players? - 12/24/2020 4:36:17 PM   
VonWulfen

Many thanks, all.
Looking forward to trying all the suggested scenarios :)

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Recommend Surface Ships scenarios for new players? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI