Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

v1.24.00 Beta [Hotfix #6] 12/31/2021

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> v1.24.00 Beta [Hotfix #6] 12/31/2021 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
v1.24.00 Beta [Hotfix #6] 12/31/2021 - 11/26/2021 8:19:34 PM   
pzgndr

Attached is v1.24.00 Beta for playtesting. Release notes:

quote:

Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars - 1.24.00
=============================================
- 0000530: [Game Enhancement] Computer not choosing the optimal path when moving multiple areas – closed. [NOTE: Manual path selection by player is still most efficient for considering movement costs and forage values, rather than shortest path.]
- 0000531: [Game Enhancement] Cannot remove a depot with a depot garrison on it - resolved, player may now opt to disband garrison.
- 0000855: [Game Bug] Scenario Editor Later Campaign Issues – resolved (unit availability dates do not change when start date is changed).
- 0000862: [Game Bug] Admin cannot move ships into harbor of conquered minors or Free States – closed.
- STD DEFINES changed for larger mods (MAXAREAS 900, MAXPROVINCES 200, MAXCOUNTRIES 150, MAXTURNS 180, MAXUNITS 1000) - UPDATE - NOT RESOLVED.
- mcextentions.cpp file removed from build to remove legacy alternate modern conquest functions (wgsbombing, wgsintel, wgsresearch, terrorism) - resolved.
- Standard (non-EIA) battle types removed from build (BTsea, BTrural, and BTsiege) to remove legacy alternate combat model - resolved.
- AAR move arrows incorrectly displayed as hashed lines instead of solid lines in winter zones - resolved.
- UI scaled up about 40-50% as it is tiny on a modern screen size - resolved (top menu bar scaled up 50%).
- Some game buttons not updated to standard font - resolved (17 new BMP files for \Graphics\ui\buttons).
- Fonts on Unit Report screen not clear on high-resolution screens - resolved (changed Quixley LET to Verdana Italic).
- Create new scenario limited to 1805 classic EIA by default - resolved (player is now prompted to select 1805 classic EIA or 1805 alternate EIH scenario database).
- Spurious French corps units displayed in unit box towards right and bottom - resolved.
- Access Violation errors related to setup of minor (Naples) upon declaration of war - resolved.
- AI building too many militia - resolved.
- MAXDEPOTS previously changed from 8 to 10 in nwvars.cpp was not also changed in nwvars.h and caused a supply chain break with the Austrian IXd Depot - resolved.
- Some surrenders incorrectly evacuating cities despite temporary access - resolved (replaced nation_correct_force_locations function with the more standard nation_evacuate_all_units function when executing surrenders).

You should be able to extract the new EXE and \Graphics\ui\buttons files from the zip file directly into your v1.23.08 install. Alternatively, you may want to install a separate copy of the official v1.23.08 and update that to the v1.24.00 Beta and beyond.

Besides a few housekeeping updates and minor bug fixes, this version introduces some additional higher resolutions [and increased limits for larger mods that need some testing to see if there are any issues before I proceed with other code changes for v1.24]. If you have a high-resolution monitor and graphics card, please try the beta and provide any feedback comments and screenshots if the game does not display correctly. [If you want to experiment with larger mods (Daniel Amieiro?) then please try the beta and let me know what issues you encounter.]

Alright, I am going to take a short break from EIA code development to work on other things. Hopefully some of you can provide me some positive feedback on the resolutions and limits changes, or else I'll relook what's going on. Again, I'd like to ensure these changes work OK before I move on with other changes. Thanks. Enjoy!

UPDATE 12/12/2021. v1.24.00 Hotfix #4 attached.
Note: the STD DEFINES changes were causing some access violation errors at game start, even though the code was compiling. I am putting these changes on the back burner for a while until I can resolve the issues, if I can. I suspect some of these game limits are embedded in the data files structures and might not be easily changed if at all. Sorry.

UPDATE 12/31/2021. v1.24.00 Hotfix #6 attached.
Note: This update has the top menu bar scaled up 50% to improve its appearance on high resolution monitors. I also adjusted the font on the Unit Report screen. Feedback on these two items would be helpful: Are the changes working for high resolution screens? Are the changes still acceptable for standard screens; i.e., not too large and cut off? Please take a look and let me know. Hotfix #6 zip file has the graphics included so you can just unzip into your game directory. Happy New Year!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pzgndr -- 1/4/2022 2:50:45 PM >

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team
Post #: 1
RE: v1.24.00 Beta - 11/26/2021 8:46:32 PM   
pzgndr

I want to comment about the path-finding in EIA. I reviewed three different path-finding functions in the game (find_path vs add_path_to_unit vs unit_set_moves). The issue is that one function is used to quickly identify possible moves when you click on a unit and get the white highlighted areas, whereas another function is used to set the shortest path when moving from A to B. The "problem" arises when the player selects a possible move area but the unit cannot make it all the way. An example being a shorter move over mountains with MC=2, while an alternate (longer) route could go around the mountains and reach the area on the far side.

Trying to change the move code to better optimize the path in these situations is challenging. Most of the time, the moves work fine. In those cases where a unit cannot reach a "possible move" area, players should simply undo the unit move and manually move it area-by-area to reach its target destination. As mentioned, players can most efficiently consider the movement costs and forage values of the areas moved through.

At some point, I want to investigate further what I might be able to do for the AI that gets caught in these situations, particularly when a DOW on a minor is involved based on "possible move" being in range but the unit(s) cannot then reach the minor and a Lapse of War results. That would warrant an exception. If anyone has other thoughts, I'm willing to consider what else could be done.

Bill

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 2
RE: v1.24.00 Beta - 12/3/2021 10:37:34 AM   
pioneer10sun

Thanks for the post :)

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 3
RE: v1.24.00 Beta [Hotfix #6] 12/31/2021 - 1/3/2022 7:59:47 AM   
paulferris1964

Hi Bill,

Here's the top left of 1.24 on my 2k (2560 x 1440) monitor. As you can see that text on the far right is out of place.

BR

Paul

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 4
RE: v1.24.00 Beta [Hotfix #6] 12/31/2021 - 1/4/2022 12:18:02 AM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulferris1964
As you can see that text on the far right is out of place.

The zip file does not seem to be unzipping the two \Graphics\ui\windows files you need, tbbkimage and tibkimage for the menu bar. You should manually copy those to where they belong. Sorry. The buttons look fine.

Bill

(in reply to paulferris1964)
Post #: 5
RE: v1.24.00 Beta [Hotfix #6] 12/31/2021 - 1/4/2022 12:49:41 PM   
paulferris1964

Thanks Bill,

copied those files over manually, and all is now looking good.

I think it may have been because the Windows folder in the zip file is not inside the UI folder?

BR

Paul

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 6
RE: v1.24.00 Beta [Hotfix #6] 12/31/2021 - 1/4/2022 2:52:35 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulferris1964
I think it may have been because the Windows folder in the zip file is not inside the UI folder?

Bingo. Thank you. Hotfix #6 zip file is now updated.

Bill

(in reply to paulferris1964)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> v1.24.00 Beta [Hotfix #6] 12/31/2021 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI