Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Adding additional units to an existing OOB

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Adding additional units to an existing OOB Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Adding additional units to an existing OOB - 1/18/2021 3:30:26 AM   
brianreid

Ok. It has been years since I tweak any of the scenarios in this game, and I have long forgotten how to add additional units to an existing OOB. So, in a nutshell I want to add a couple additional infantry divisions to an existing Corps. I just cannot seem to remember how to do that in the Editor. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Brian B.
Post #: 1
RE: Adding additional units to an existing OOB - 1/18/2021 9:35:27 AM   
golden delicious

Two main ways to add new units:
1) copy unit. This will give you a new unit with the exact some characteristics as the previous one, in the same formation. You can then modify as needed, and then deploy the new unit. This won't work if you've already reached the limit of the number of units in the formation- or force
2) go to the end of the OOB and click "next unit". This will take you to an empty unit called "xxth cadre" which you can fill out as required. It'll belong to the last formation in the list automatically but of course this can be changed. Again if you've already reached the limit of units in the force then "next unit" will not do anything

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to brianreid)
Post #: 2
RE: Adding additional units to an existing OOB - 1/18/2021 9:53:38 AM   
cathar1244

golden, do you know if the bug with the event editor ever got fixed?

I mean the one in which an event affecting a unit could get corrupted (point to the wrong unit) if a unit was subsequently added or deleted from the order of battle.

Cheers

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 3
RE: Adding additional units to an existing OOB - 1/18/2021 12:16:48 PM   
brianreid

Golden -- Unfortunately I cannot just use the copy command, as I keep getting an error message of "not allowed due to divided unit in OOB". So, I would add a unit to the bottom of the OOB, but when I get to the bottom of the OOB, I cannot get it to add another unit. Also, how do you add a screenshot to this posts? Thanks.

Brian B.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 4
RE: Adding additional units to an existing OOB - 1/18/2021 12:32:45 PM   
nepos2

Hello Brian! If there is a divided unit in the Oob it is locked and no new unit can be added. You have to find the divided units and move them to the same hex and recombine them first.

Regards, Henrik

(in reply to brianreid)
Post #: 5
RE: Adding additional units to an existing OOB - 1/18/2021 2:40:04 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: nepos2

Hello Brian! If there is a divided unit in the Oob it is locked and no new unit can be added. You have to find the divided units and move them to the same hex and recombine them first.

Regards, Henrik

You could also look into the TOAW XML Editor which might allow you to bypass these errors- though you might also get some weird results.

If that doesn't work, and you're going through multiple test and change cycles on a scenario which involves a lot of units deployed divided, you may want to keep a development version of the scenario where everything is combined. Then whenever you have to make a change, you pick up that version, add your units, save, then split everything out for the next test- remembering to keep the scenario file separate between dev and test versions.

Then, too, you might want to keep a file listing what's supposed to be divided, and where each piece is supposed to go... otherwise it's going to annoy you.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to nepos2)
Post #: 6
RE: Adding additional units to an existing OOB - 1/18/2021 2:42:27 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

ORIGINAL: cathar1244

golden, do you know if the bug with the event editor ever got fixed?

I mean the one in which an event affecting a unit could get corrupted (point to the wrong unit) if a unit was subsequently added or deleted from the order of battle.

Cheers

This bug was only if a unit was added or removed earlier in the Force OOB, and only in certain circumstances.

I may be wrong- but I think this one got squashed. You can muck about a lot more in the event engine than before: it used to be that if you accidentally clicked on an event (copying it) it ruined every single activation trigger in any subsequent events. Now you can sort the event list and it makes it a hell of a lot easier to use.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Adding additional units to an existing OOB Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI