Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you purchase SPWaW?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How do you purchase SPWaW? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you purchase SPWaW? - 8/19/2003 12:27:53 PM   
Knavery2112

I can't find a link anywhere on it...

Knavery2112

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...... Just wait longer." --Ace Ventura
Post #: 1
- 8/19/2003 3:24:56 PM   
Belisarius

SPWaW is free! I don't think you can purchase it, only download it. :)

It comes bundled with the MC's, MegaCampaign Watchtower is available for purchase, IIRC.

OTOH, there are plenty of people here who can help you with a CD copy if your bandwidth is limited. Les has a good offer... ;)

Got StuG?

(in reply to Knavery2112)
Post #: 2
- 8/19/2003 10:25:59 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

In spite of the game's age (it is a few years old now), you can still actually buy some of the original retail versions of Steel Panthers interestingly enough.

http://www.cdaccess.com/html/pc/49pres.htm

Although Steel Panthers III Brigade Combat is the only version that doesn't have some sort of free downloadable option.

But as was mentioned, yep, I routinely provide access to all that is the best of Steel Panthers for a lousy 5 bucks Canadian when paid in advance (money order is the means I employ).

Some of us just don't own a cd burner or have access to a high speed connection.

This is my standard offering if you feel inclined or need assistance.

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7276

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 3
- 8/19/2003 11:51:21 PM   
chief

Knavery: SPWAW is free....Go to DOWLOADS top of this page, click, at TRUE UPDATES, last box bottom row, click on same, in Downloads, 1st one SPWAW ver 7.1. If you have a fast connection, if not, repost. Welcome to the fold.

:) :cool:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

Post #: 4
- 8/20/2003 12:01:30 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmm not having had to actually download it recently, I have not ended up in the download zone recently.

I think others will agree Matrix Games has finally made the download process simple and easy.

The previous set up was problematic annoying and often made you go through 3 or more pages to actually get the ball rolling.

Post #: 5
- 8/20/2003 12:15:12 AM   
chief

Les: Yeah big improvement ....only have to go through 2 pages now.:rolleyes:

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

Post #: 6
- 8/20/2003 12:54:45 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Well granted Chief a person actually has to hit the "Downloads" link at the top of the page, and granted a person actually has to then go into the Steel Panthers page before they get to the link.

But those two pages don't count in my counting. I don't expect to find the Steel Panthers download page outside of its own page.

What I was referring to, was when you got to the Steel Panthers page where they had the link. It sent you to one page, then another page, then another page just so you could find a link that was no where near Matrix Games in the first place, it was at Games Domain.

And that was complicated by the fact the links rarely functioned for a while (something in the process had gone astray).

Now when you click on the link it begins downloading right then and there.

Post #: 7
- 8/20/2003 1:12:21 AM   
chief

Aye Les, sees what you mean, just a point of where you start counting. Yes I remember that go around that your refering to.
I did like the system MATRIX had where you went to Home page, clicked on version or patch and away it went. Now that was a bit of allright, but you didn't have all the ads and they do help pay the bills.

resp. Chief:cool:

Post #: 8
- 8/20/2003 2:28:02 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Hope you have broadband...or your type of person you doesnt need the phone for 4 days....

Post #: 9
- 8/20/2003 2:39:31 AM   
Knavery2112

Of course I have cable. It's probably not a very popular commodity with hex grognards however. Military wargames aren't exactly processor intensive that would cause lag over a 56k connection.:)

Knavery2112

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...... Just wait longer." --Ace Ventura

Post #: 10
- 8/20/2003 5:51:09 AM   
chief

Knavery after you download and install 7.1 go back to same page and a little further down (last item) get patch for 7.1. After that check and see if the OOBs in THE MAIN FOLDER are dated 4/07/02. Ignore the txt OOB files.

Post #: 11
- 8/20/2003 11:51:39 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Unless he is ultra picky I would not be to obsessed with getting in an absolute fuss over last and best OOBs although there was an OOB file that represented the latest fixes a while back.

Currently the game is using the 8.0 OOBs here in the team developing the latest MC, its just a matter of a short wait, and the new OOBs will hit the scene for everyone.

Post #: 12
- 8/20/2003 6:44:04 PM   
Twotribes

I have given up trying to download it. I have cable and the connection still takes 10 plus hours. And then after all that time, it wont work.

Maybe when I am in more of a quandry for something to do I will let Les send me a disk.

Humm, can it be moved whole cloth from one machine to another? Or does it have hidden files in different directories that will prevent that. The down side to buying a new computer (

Post #: 13
- 8/20/2003 6:57:18 PM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Twotribes
[B]Humm, can it be moved whole cloth from one machine to another? Or does it have hidden files in different directories that will prevent that. The down side to buying a new computer ( [/B][/QUOTE]

No problem with that. Just cut and paste the whole folder and it will work without any problems whatsoever. At least with XP. :)

Got StuG?

Post #: 14
- 8/20/2003 7:46:41 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Two Tribes, with cable the standard SPWaW file download is about a 90 minute process.
If it takes longer than that by a substantial margin, my advice is to check out your connection and ensure it is actually giving you bonafide cable download speeds, because with cable you should NOT be taking 10 hours period.

If my service was giving me that level of performance, I would be contacting my service and requirng an explanation at the very least.

Regarding the files, what most might not realise, is Steel Panthers as a game is a full file dump when it is installed.
So if you have it in a folder on the computer, you have the whole thing on the computer. When moving the folder from point A to point B, all that is lost is some Windows qualities like desktop icons and start menu bar arrangements.

The files we behave exactly as they should regardless, but you would have to rebuild any desktop shortcuts and start menu bar conveniences.

The one thing that has plagued Steel Panthers, is it can get fussy about further installs if the user is not familiar with the process. The most notable being the installation of Mega Campaigns. The game has a well established reputation for insistence on going exactly where it wants and not listening to re directs during installation.

All that said, for the cost of 5 bucks I offer on cd the convenience of the whole Steel Panthers file inventory (no I don't offer free copies of Mega Campaigns, that is obvious but I had to mention it).
What is cool, is I don't just send SPWaW, I send all the other versions of the game as well. Makes a heck of a cd.

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> How do you purchase SPWaW? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI