Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this supposed to happen?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Is this supposed to happen? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this supposed to happen? - 7/29/2021 11:48:52 AM   
wobbleguts

Hi,

Playing as the USA again - but I do interfere with the CW a bit to make sure they research the right things and re-enforce N Africa quickly when war commences.

The game is now at November 1940 and has progressed mostly as you would expect. The only big difference is that the Italians haven't declared war on Britain (presumably because the Brits have a bigger force in N Africa than they expected).

Remember, I am playing as the USA, but I did notice the following...

Firstly, there is a British Cruiser sitting in the post of Bordeaux. The port is 100% Allied, but the city is Axis occupied. Surely the port would be in axis hands by November 1940?

Secondly, despite the fact that Italy has not declared war on the CW, India has declared war on Italy! Is that really likely? I don't think India would unilaterally declare war on a European nation. Not complaining but it seems a little unrealistic. I have an Indian unit on the border of Ethiopia that can advance into Italian territory - If I do this will Italy immediately declare war on Britain?

Update: S Africa is also at war with Italy at this date. Is this a CW bug caused by Italy's delayed entry into the war? Can't check Australian status because they have no war map and are no-where near Italian territory, same with Canada, but I suspect they are at war as well, despite the fact that Britain isn't.

< Message edited by wobbleguts -- 7/29/2021 2:37:06 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Is this supposed to happen? - 7/29/2021 2:57:22 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Wobbleguts,

For the British Cruiser sitting in Bordeaux and maintaining control of the port as a result, I believe this is possible and you would just have to attack and push the Cruiser out and the port should then return to the control of the adjacent Axis occupied city.

For the India declaring war on Italy, there are scripts that have them do so once they are fully mobilized and in India's case, once the US is also fully mobilized.

Are you perhaps playing a mod where the UK is set to not be at war with Italy? If so you can modify or turn off the India script under the BELLIGERENCE events.

On the other hand, Commonwealth countries such as South Africa, Canada etc., should automatically go to war with Italy if their parent the UK is also at war with Italy. One way to confirm who is belligerent with whom is to mouse hover over the UK flag in the upper left corner of the game screen and it should show all the countries the UK is at war with.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 2
RE: Is this supposed to happen? - 7/30/2021 10:02:36 AM   
wobbleguts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

Are you perhaps playing a mod where the UK is set to not be at war with Italy? If so you can modify or turn off the India script under the BELLIGERENCE events.

On the other hand, Commonwealth countries such as South Africa, Canada etc., should automatically go to war with Italy if their parent the UK is also at war with Italy. One way to confirm who is belligerent with whom is to mouse hover over the UK flag in the upper left corner of the game screen and it should show all the countries the UK is at war with.

Hi Hubert,

I don't think I edited anything re UK relations with Italy. Pretty sure about that.

To confirm, the UK is not at war with Italy at this point. When I check the war map it is only at war with Germany, Slovakia, Hungry and Romania. If I hover over the flag as you suggested it says 'Belligerence: Germany and minors'. No mention of Italy. So why is S Africa able to attack Italian units?

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 3
RE: Is this supposed to happen? - 8/1/2021 6:29:18 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Wobbleguts,

It might be just easier for you to send me a saved game turn so I could take a better look with instructions on how to repeat what you are seeing in game here, e.g. which South African unit can attack which Italian unit etc.

Please send to support@furysoftware.com

Thanks,
Hubert

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 4
RE: Is this supposed to happen? - 8/2/2021 9:16:57 AM   
wobbleguts

Hi Hubert,

Game sent as requested.

If you go to Mogadishu (lower right hand corner of E Africa) you can see there is a SA unit that can attack Italians while the UK units further north cannot.

Thanks for looking into it.

Post #: 5
RE: Is this supposed to happen? - 8/2/2021 3:58:30 PM   
Hubert Cater

Thanks for the files and what has happened here is that while Italy is not yet at war with the UK, it is fully mobilized and at war with at least one country which is India. This can create some potentially odd in game situations, e.g. let's say Italian units enter into India but since it is not yet at war with the UK and its minors, what happens if the UK puts some units into India? Can they be used to block Italian advances in India because Italy is not at war with UK units?

What if India and the UK are at war with Japan so there are reasons for UK units to be in India and so on.

It can lead to some possibly gamey situations, so what the game engine does to handle this is to allow units to attack each other when in territories like this even though they may not be directly at war. What you are seeing in Italian East Africa with the South African units being able to attack the Italian unit there is just an extension of the above. But it is also why the UK naval units cannot attack the Italian unit as they are at sea and the issue doesn't apply there as it is only an 'on land' issue.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 6
RE: Is this supposed to happen? - 8/2/2021 4:45:44 PM   
Hubert Cater

There might be more to this because indeed only South African units can enter into Italian East Africa in the saved game you sent over. I see there was an announcement that on August 16th, 1940 'South Africa Declared War on Italian East Africa'. It looks like only South Africa is at war with that particular territory.

Without seeing your scripts or your mod, it is difficult to better understand this as I don't think this is in any of the default events. However the AI does have scripts for the minors such as South Africa to attack Italian East Africa territory and this may have then triggered South Africa going to war with Italian East Africa.

What I'll look into is why this didn't bring the UK into automatic war with Italy after that as it should have since the UK is a parent of South Africa.

Post #: 7
RE: Is this supposed to happen? - 8/3/2021 10:23:36 AM   
wobbleguts

Thanks Hubert!

Was Australia/Canada/NZ also at war with Italy?

< Message edited by wobbleguts -- 8/3/2021 12:30:07 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Is this supposed to happen? - 8/3/2021 8:14:46 PM   
Hubert Cater

My pleasure and to be honest I'm not sure as I just wanted to identify the issue and make the necessary corrections. Turn has already been removed from my system. But you can check the logs, using the 'L' key to see who declared war on whom etc.

Hubert

(in reply to wobbleguts)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Is this supposed to happen? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI